Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Omer Asik: No Hands No Athleticism.

Omer Asik: No Hands No Athleticism.

Look I love what Asik brings for us but does anybody else besides me think we should invest in an athletic center to pair next to AD? A center who can jump for rebounds/blocks. A center who can actually catch the game ball when they pass it to him. Asik has been nothing but a negative for us on the offensive end. I don't care if he doesn't shoot a single shot all game, I don't want him screwing up our entire offense with wasted possessions because he can't catch the freaking ball.

Demarcus cousins is toying with him. The NBA has changed. Asiks game is not as effective as it used to be. AND he can't make free throws to save his life!!!!

Asik is the farthest thing from a problem for this team

And Cousins toys with everyone. If you can limit him to 18 points on 18 shooting possessions while having him committing 4 turnovers you have more than done your job.

Ok defensively, sure, he's great. But if the team is actually going to include you in the offense then it is a huge problem that needs to be addressed. He even said he doesn't want to be a part of the offense yet every time he gets the ball or an offensive board he goes up for a shot and gets stuffed by a defender or worse, the Rim. I can't be the only one seeing this.

How come these threads never pop up in the mid afternoon on an off day?
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Is Omer Asik athletic? Does he have hands? And is he included in our offense, and if so, if he effective? But more specifically than anything else, does he even catch the ball to even give himself a chance on the offensive end?

Those are my original questions. If he is going to be included in our offense then it is a serious problem.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Work.

I like to review my answers right after I get a test back. See what I got wrong, and how I can improve next time.

We just took the test, time to review.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by LOLLakers View Post
    And Cousins toys with everyone. If you can limit him to 18 points on 18 shooting possessions while having him committing 4 turnovers you have more than done your job.
    This. I could make a strong case that Cousins is the best center(and IMO he his the best offensive 5) in the league. Getting worked by him isn't an insult and Asik won't face a center as offensively gifted as Demarcus every night.

I'll admit. I've held my tongue not wanting to be that guy..but no more. As far as I'm concerned Tyreke is Ricky Davis and AD is LeBron and we need to get that clown as far away from AD as possible. Ryan Anderson is Brad Sellers. While I'm not advocating that AD make Ryan cry in practice like MJ did Sellers, just make him uncomfortable enough that he'll okay a trade.

Jrue and Asik. The choice is yours. Horace Grant (2x), BJ Armstrong, Brian Shaw, Sam Cassell, Otis Thorpe, Tiago Splitter and many others want to welcome you to the club. Can you dig it?

[QUOTE=DefensiveMind;1259989]I'll admit. I've held my tongue not wanting to be that guy..but no more. As far as I'm concerned Tyreke is Ricky Davis and AD is LeBron and we need to get that clown as far away from AD as possible. Ryan Anderson is Brad Sellers. While I'm not advocating that AD make Ryan cry in practice like MJ did Sellers, just make him uncomfortable enough that he'll okay a trade.

Jrue and Asik. The choice is yours. Horace Grant (2x), BJ Armstrong, Brian Shaw, Sam Cassell, Otis Thorpe, Tiago Splitter and many others want to welcome you to the club. Can you dig it?[/QUOTE
    I forgot about half of those guys (Sellers, Davis, Armstrong).

I love it!

While I'm at it.. Monty you can be Doug Collins in 88 or like your mentor. Get it together, bro. No way a Pop coached team let's them tune him out 14 games into the season.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Just sit back, pop open a brewskis, and watch the fireworks, Mikeypoo!

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    While I'm at it.. Monty you can be Doug Collins in 88 or like your mentor. Get it together, bro. No way a Pop coached team let's them tune him out 14 games into the season.
    It's true. Monty isn't going to win you a title but he can coach up your talent for Phil, Doc, or a Van Gundy brother.

Hell, the way Reke and Ryno like to toss it up, bring in some Nelly ball. Don Nelson should hold on to the reigns until we land that coach who can lead us there.

Asik is not athletic and can be frustrating to watch on offense. However, it was obvious that he was not close to 100% out there. He was hurting and moving even worse than usual.

Back to the topic here, Asik has gotten schooled and worked by more people than just cousins. If I can recal Marc gasol had a fantastic game. We also can't forget al Jefferson or vucevic who both toyed with Asik as well. I'm not a huge Asik hater. I just don't like the fact that he is included in any way in our offense, and if he is he shouldn't and he is a horrible option so I thought it was a decent topic of discussion. He drops and loses more balls than he takes shot attempts. Shot attempts, my other point. He's too unathletic to jump more than an inch off the floor to get a decent shot off nor can he jump to defend a jump shooter. Yes I get his "presence" is there but we're gonna need more than that crap.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Asik is not athletic and can be frustrating to watch on offense. However, it was obvious that he was not close to 100% out there. He was hurting and moving even worse than usual.
    My main concern is his inability to catch the ball. It's scary. If he's not included in our offense, fine, not a problem at all, but he is, and he kills us. Not just this game. The first game I was pulling my hair out bc of his inability to catch a basketball and hold it for longer than a second.

Quote Originally Posted by MMEmbreno View Post
    My main concern is his inability to catch the ball. It's scary. If he's not included in our offense, fine, not a problem at all, but he is, and he kills us. Not just this game. The first game I was pulling my hair out bc of his inability to catch a basketball and hold it for longer than a second.
    He does have bad hands.

Didn't we know both of these things going into the season?

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

It's a sad, sad day when DT has to bring reason to a thread. All of you should go take a long hard look in the mirror.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    His hands are bad. He's not a great athlete.

And there's maybe three or four centers in the whole league who would do a better job overall.

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    Work.
    Gold.

Omer Asik isn't a great offensive player?!! OMG, you're kidding. This is insane. The guy comes back from injury, grabs 5 offensive boards, shoots five times, misses 1 free throw, and has no turnovers. What a ball-hogging, game killing offensive performance!!! Get a grip, man.

Thread Information