Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Omer Asik: No Hands No Athleticism.

Height and strength have nothing to do with athletiscm. Speed, endurance, verticality would be just a few common things I would take into account to measure Athleticism.

Quote Originally Posted by NOEngineer View Post
    For this season, Asik is 11th in Wins Produced among Centers, despite missing 4 games and playing limited minutes during some others. He is 5th in Wins Produced per 48 minutes played, among centers. He is producing at an elite level by rebounding, blocking shots, and scoring efficiently. Of course, Wind Produced doesn't measure defensive impact well. However, I see his defense affecting not only the bigs we play against, but also preventing a lot of shots by guards who cross through the paint at the baseline looking to lose him and put up a reverse layup. His defense looks great to me, and his defensive stats back that up. so, overall he is a top 5 center in my book. I'd give an edge to Tyson Chandler, Joakim Noah, Dwight Howard, Marc Gasol, and maybe Brandan Wright. I'd put D'andre Jordan, Andrew Bogut, Valenciunus, and Dieng in his league, but lacking the fit with Anthony Davis that Asik brings. NONE of those were available to us for this season, and we weren't likely to have a shot at them any time soon.
    I think when our guard learn to pass him the ball above his chest only (never at his waist or feet) his turnovers will go way down.
    Omer is better than Cousins, Lopez, Hibbert, Hortford and Bosh? At best he ranks 16th among centers IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by durun View Post
    Omer is better than Cousins, Lopez, Hibbert, Hortford and Bosh? At best he ranks 16th among centers IMO.
    Which would be less than average, the point I've been trying to make.. But biased fans(myself sometimes) look at things differently without even realizing it. I for one am working on it. 2 years ago I truly believed we would be in the playoffs with Vasquez EG and lopez, but that was me being biased, and I'm trying to learn how to change and be a realist. It's hard though haha especially with a team you love and that you follow so closely.

Omer Asik: No Hands No Athleticism.

They only let you pick 6 total players to compare but here is a list of 5 "top" centers and Asik to show how he stacks up against them. There's only one player, Cousins, who is clearly head and shoulders better than Asik. He was not last place in any single category and was routinely top 3-4 in every advanced category. I checked certain players like Drummond and he isn't even worth showing because of how bad he has been compared to Asik this year.

Asik is a severely underrated center.

Here is the link too

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...advanced::none
    Last edited by Mythrol; 11-27-2014 at 04:21 PM.

T
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    They only let you pick 6 total players to compare but here is a list of 5 "top" centers and Asik to show how he stacks up against them. There's only one player, Cousins, who is clearly head and shoulders better than Asik. He was not last place in any single category and was routinely top 3-4 in every advanced category. I checked certain players like Drummond and he isn't even worth showing because of how bad he has been compared to Asik this year.

Here is the link too

Those stats are for 9 games. That's a real reach for top 5. Saw Omer three times this year and my eyeball stats says very average. I like that he plays within his skill sets and knows his role.

T

Here is the link too

Those stats are for 9 games. That's a real reach for top 5. Saw Omer three times this year and my eyeball stats says very average. I like that he plays within his skill sets and knows his role.

Quote Originally Posted by durun View Post
    T
    Where did I say he's top 5? I'm just posting the numbers for this year. Your eye test is fine, but have you looked at the other players as well and judged them with your eye test or are you just going off of their name?

Because stats say he at least has been comparable if not better so far.

T

Here is the link too

Quote Originally Posted by MMEmbreno View Post
    Hahaha what are you drinking this fine Thanksgiving afternoon? Whatever it is, I want it. For you to say that Omer Asik is athletic is the equivalent to saying Reggie bush ran through tackles when he played for the saints. Idc how much you love Asik, for you to say he's athletic just makes me question why I even spend time on this forum. That is an extremely false statement. If Asik was atheltic (meaning if he could jump) I wouldn't have even started this thread. Common man....
    I don't think u understand what athletic means. Are u telling me as long as you're 6ft 10+ you can play in the NBA??

Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    I don't think u understand what athletic means. Are u telling me as long as you're 6ft 10+ you can play in the NBA??
    Huh???????

I think the problem is this....People go to or watch Pels games, see Asik doing his thing, playing within himself, and doing what needs to be done for the team to be successful...Then they go home and watch Sportscenter, see all the high flying highlights of BG, DJ, Drummond, etc. and think why can't our 7 footer do that? That's where the bulk of this comes from. We all want a team of all stars...We all wish that we could have a team of HOF'ers like the Lakers/Celts used to. But that is not our team. Asik will never make a highlight (lest he be on the wrong side of it like Withey on the Henry dunk last year). He's what we have. He's a great compliment to the team. And he does not demand the ball...What more could you want from the guy?

BTW. Myles Plumlee has a 41" vert at 265 lbs. Runs fast...Is more athletic than Asik...Would you rather have him?

Asik plays his position just fine. He forced Cousins into some tough shots. Asik is one of this team's last problems.

Asik is at it again. A massive liability on offense. His lack of athletiscm and hands is a black hole in this offense. Dropping the ball, getting stripped, stuffed by the rim and defenders. On defense he is getting burned by almost everyone and is not contesting shots but rather putting his hands up and sagging back.

He is consistent in these flaws every single game. Every game.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I guess we ignore the back spasms, the play before said back spasms...anything with levity.

No? Asik sucks and that's all there is to it.

Next there is no God. Only thing that matters is looks. And bacon is overrated.

Better player: Robin Lopez or Asik?

I didnt watch much when we were in tank mode, curious what other people think
    Last edited by speedyG; 11-29-2014 at 08:57 PM.

Banned
    I'll take him and all his flaws any day. Some games he might not be as effective...so what. He is at least Splitter on a team playing better.

Quote Originally Posted by Asteptooslow View Post
    I'll take him and all his flaws any day. Some games he might not be as effective...so what. He is at least Splitter on a team playing better.
    Splitter is a much different type of player tho. He is good at the pick & roll and more agile and skilled

Banned
    Asik is more active and disruptive. He isn't recovered yet and is being a good soldier.

Dude, it seems no one agrees with you, can you stop posting a new reply to the thread in like every 3 minutes?

Quote Originally Posted by MMEmbreno View Post
    Asik is at it again. A massive liability on offense. His lack of athletiscm and hands is a black hole in this offense. Dropping the ball, getting stripped, stuffed by the rim and defenders. On defense he is getting burned by almost everyone and is not contesting shots but rather putting his hands up and sagging back.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    He's barely able to run back after possession changes. Asik is not at 100% here and in a much worse way than if he had a sore hand or something. A gimpy back ain't no joke. He is not the same player he was to start the season.

And I still wouldn't exchange him for very many other centers.

So, is Asik gonna be a rental or not this season?

Its weird that Rolo and Gravy are suddenly being brought up again as if everyone was clamoring for them the whole time.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Quote Originally Posted by lowlife View Post
    Dude, it seems no one agrees with you, can you stop posting a new reply to the thread in like every 3 minutes?
    Nah I'm good. I'll update this thread after every game until I have too until people start to see just how bad he is hurting us. He was only docked for 2 TO's. One i remember the other I don't, but what i do remember is 3-4 turnovers that he also had that did not count on the box score such as the times the ball deflected off his brick hands into the defender. Another 3-4 turnovers (wasted possessions) when he is unable to put the ball in the rim from point blank range and gets stuffed with no effort by the defender. Even the post game announcers were saying the EXACT SAME THING afterwards. So Id suggest you either watch games or don't even comment on here. I post what I see. For those that argue that is not healthy? He was suppose to play 4 games ago and then sat out another 2 games, and now he's still injured and he's not 100%? Give me a break. He shouldn't even be playing if he's hurt.
    Last edited by MMEmbreno; 11-30-2014 at 06:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    Its weird that Rolo and Gravy are suddenly being brought up again as if everyone was clamoring for them the whole time.
    I would take rolos contract all day over ASIK. Omer still brings us a little more on D but Robin actually has a jump hook and a baseline midrange jumper. I wouldn't be complaining if Asik doesnt shoot. He said all he wanted to do was play D and rebound. That's not what I see. He feels the need to score every time he actually catches the ball in the post and has no ability to pass out of the post so it's a huge gaping hole in our offense. Just don't give him the ball period, at all, and we wouldn't have a problem. AT ALL. Tell him to get offensive rebounds and fouls and work for your points bc passing to him is a lost cause. I would still prefer him over lopez but not contract wise

Thread Information