Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Omer Asik: No Hands No Athleticism.

Smh

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MMEmbreno View Post
    The NBA is alllllll about athletiscm these days. That's why point guards are dunking on people, are point guards today traditional point guards like they used to be? No, but the NBA is changing and Asik gets worked by soooo many players, outside of his rebounding and contesting shots, which are his BEST ATTRIBUTES, so im not here to argue about what he can do, I'm saying what he can't do. Put Deandre Jordan, Drummond, Magee, next to AD, any athletic center who can move just a little side to side off the dribble to defend and jump off the floor for blocked shots and rebounds that Asik will never be able to get, then we have a scary team.
    But this makes no sense. Asik is an ELITE rebounder and have great lateral quickness on defense. He forces teams into taking bad shots. You can't point to his defense as bad and then name a list of players he's BETTER than on defense.

Unless this is all a big joke. Which maybe it is after that list.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    great lateral quickness on defense.
    I'll go to sleep on this. Once again, I admitted Asik is a good rebounder bc he can position himself bc of his inability to get off the ground. Then you said something else that I think I've admitted 4 now 5 times on this thread alone, yes Asik's presence helps in that players are forced to take bad shots. It's about pairing AD up with a center who will help him the most in the long run. To me, that is a center of the new days of the NBA, thats a center who can jump. A center who doesn't drop the ball or get stripped every time he touches it. I'm done arguing bc once Asik is gone next year this will be a waste of time

nobody in the NBA talks about Omer Asik, he can't even be considered underrated due to his current contract. This team hasn't had a center for years and when somebody admits what he is good at and is frustrated at what he does wrong people freak. I wouldn't say jordan or Drummond are at all worse than Asik on d. Both are forces, younger, almost cheaper, more points, more rebounds, more blocks, and better FG %. Yeah I wouldn't think twice to not take jordan or Drummond over Asik. Only reason I mentioned Magee is bc of his similarities to Drummond but he's a much cheaper option. I'd rather those 2 guys waiting at the rim for rebounds and contested shots than Asik. Who would rather have Asik over Drummond or deandre, more specifically for defense-rebounds, blocks, contests.

I'll go to sleep on this. Once again, I admitted Asik is a good rebounder bc he can position himself bc of his inability to get off the ground. Then you said something else that I think I've admitted 4 now 5 times on this thread alone, yes Asik's presence helps in that players are forced to take bad shots. It's about pairing AD up with a center who will help him the most in the long run. To me, that is a center of the new days of the NBA, thats a center who can jump. A center who doesn't drop the ball or get stripped every time he touches it. I'm done arguing bc once Asik is gone next year this will be a waste of time
    His TO rate this year is 9%. Do you realize how low that is? AD for his career is a 9% TO rate. Every single Center you listed has a higher TO rate this year than Asik. Some by almost double.

You have a narrative built up in your head from previous years but it's not true this year. Go look at his numbers and compare to other C's first.

If Asik is just as effective without the athleticism why does it even matter? Aminu is super athletic, should we burn down the SKC because we let him go? I couldn't careless about Asik's jumping ability if he is still able to get it done on the glass and defensively.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 11-26-2014 at 11:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    His TO rate this year is 9%. Do you realize how low that is? AD for his career is a 9% TO rate. Every single Center you listed has a higher TO rate this year than Asik. Some by almost double.

You have a narrative built up in your head from previous years but it's not true this year. Go look at his numbers and compare to other C's first.
    Does that 9% account for the amount of times they feed him the ball and it immediately deflects off his own 2 hands? Maybe something I mentioned a few posts ago? He doesn't have full possession of the ball when the ball is deflected off his hands into a defenders hands, therefore It does not count as a TO. Every time Asik gets fed the ball I pull hair off my head, why? Bc I'm so used to him losing the freaking ball b4 he even gives himself a chance. That would explain his low TO %. That's why I am not all about stats, but what I see with my eyes.

You can't turn the ball over if you don't have possession and Asik is so bad handling the ball he can't even give himself the chance to possess the ball b4 he loses it

I really g2g to sleep now lol I'll continue this argument tommorow if it's still active but bottom line is I just don't think Asik was for one worth a first round pick for a rental and two I just don't like his style of play next to AD for the next 5-7 years.

You can't turn the ball over if you don't have possession and Asik is so bad handling the ball he can't even give himself the chance to possess the ball b4 he loses it
    It didn't mess up his TO % previous years. . .your just grasping now. Like I said. Go look at the stats of all the centers you like better and compare them to Asik this year.

Now you want to say you didn't like giving up a pick for him and you think he will only be a rental that's fine. But don't base your argument on made up narratives.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 11-27-2014 at 12:30 AM.

Does that 9% account for the amount of times they feed him the ball and it immediately deflects off his own 2 hands? Maybe something I mentioned a few posts ago? He doesn't have full possession of the ball when the ball is deflected off his hands into a defenders hands, therefore It does not count as a TO. Every time Asik gets fed the ball I pull hair off my head, why? Bc I'm so used to him losing the freaking ball b4 he even gives himself a chance. That would explain his low TO %. That's why I am not all about stats, but what I see with my eyes.
    This is baloney. If a player drops a ball that hits their hands in an effortless way, and are responsible for it being turned over, it is on them. In the stats, in our hearts. Either way. You're just making stuff up now. There's an implied possession, and an obvious folly by a player is marked to that player.

Ben Wallace wasn't an offensive threat either at the 5....Rodman wasn't an offensive threat at the 4....There are hosts of other players who weren't offensive juggernaughts but did play defense and rebound great. Think this way. If Asik were to get more touches a game (lets say he suddenly develops Jerry Rice hands), who would you take the touches away from? Every extra possession he gets takes one away from someone else. And he has said that he doesn't want them. It is hard on an exponential scale to find an NBA player who doesn't care about offense, and we have him.
    As to athleticism, Roy Hibbert is just as non-athletic as Asik. He's 7'2 though..He had a game last season where he go 0 freaking rebounds.
    All in all while Asik may frustrate people to no end when it comes to being able to handle a pass off a P/R, or a C with just alittle bit of handles finds a way to make a possession look like an "And One" mixtape of HotSauce, I'd still take Asik over most of the C's in the game now,based on what our team looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by NOSportsFan View Post
    Ben Wallace wasn't an offensive threat either at the 5....Rodman wasn't an offensive threat at the 4....There are hosts of other players who weren't offensive juggernaughts but did play defense and rebound great. Think this way. If Asik were to get more touches a game (lets say he suddenly develops Jerry Rice hands), who would you take the touches away from? Every extra possession he gets takes one away from someone else. And he has said that he doesn't want them. It is hard on an exponential scale to find an NBA player who doesn't care about offense, and we have him.
    As to athleticism, Roy Hibbert is just as non-athletic as Asik. He's 7'2 though..He had a game last season where he go 0 freaking rebounds.
    All in all while Asik may frustrate people to no end when it comes to being able to handle a pass off a P/R, or a C with just alittle bit of handles finds a way to make a possession look like an "And One" mixtape of HotSauce, I'd still take Asik over most of the C's in the game now,based on what our team looks like.
    Couldn't agree more. If anything people here are crying that guys like Evans, Anderson and Holiday are stealing Davis' shots. Every successful team has a few guys that contribute other things than scoring. Asik can give you just enough on offense where he's not a total liability. That's IMO more than enough when you factor in all the other things he does. You rarely see a team where all 5 guys are looking for their offense. It's not impossible, but certainly not necessary. Asik is a fine player and great fit for a team with so many ball dominate guards/wing players and two forwards that like to shoot a lot of jumpers.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Couldn't agree more. If anything people here are crying that guys like Evans, Anderson and Holiday are stealing Davis' shots. Every successful team has a few guys that contribute other things than scoring. Asik can give you just enough on offense where he's not a total liability. That's IMO more than enough when you factor in all the other things he does. You rarely see a team where all 5 guys are looking for their offense. It's not impossible, but certainly not necessary. Asik is a fine player and great fit for a team with so many ball dominate guards/wing players and two forwards that like to shoot a lot of jumpers.
    Omer is at best an average center. He knows his limitations and plays his role. That's not true for others especially Evans. Evans has lots of physical ability but he does fit into the team concept. He should look to pass first then score. If he sacrifices his field goal attempts, rebounds and plays defense, this team will thrive. You cannot have the least ineffecient shooter taking the most attempts. It's simple math.

Quote Originally Posted by durun View Post
    Omer is at best an average center. He knows his limitations and plays his role. That's not true for others especially Evans. Evans has lots of physical ability but he does fit into the team concept. He should look to pass first then score. If he sacrifices his field goal attempts, rebounds and plays defense, this team will thrive. You cannot have the least ineffecient shooter taking the most attempts. It's simple math.
    Just because it isn't as flashy as offensive, please don't discredit his defense. He might be average at best on offense but on defense he is elite.

Asik isn't athletic??? Wow. What a horribly untrue statement. Lol..guy is built like an ox at 7ft tall. He is actually very athletic. No he doesn't have great hands to catch the ball down low to score but he is a great rebounder. We already knew he wasn't an offensive threat to score down low. Smh...guess u didn't.

An average center?? Name me 15 better centers in the NBA today.

He's better than average. I'm not sure he's a top 15 center, but he's in that neighborhood.

He's better than average. I'm not sure he's a top 15 center, but he's in that neighborhood.
    He's def top 15. Only centers at this point of their careers I'm taking over Asik are these guys. Chandler maybe but with his Injury history and age give me Asik long term. Brook Lopez? Can't stay healthy as well. I think those are the only other 2 that are debatable. That puts Asik top 10 or on brink of top 10. Not sure how he can't be top 15.
    Howard
    Cousins
    Noah
    M.Gasol
    Drummond
    Pekovich
    Jefferson
    Vucevic
    Last edited by kclaboy504; 11-27-2014 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    An average center?? Name me 15 better centers in the NBA today.
    M. Gasol
    Cousins
    Drummond
    Hibbert
    Bogut
    Noah
    Howard
    Bosh(if we are counting him as a center)
    Jefferson
    Jordan
    Chandler
    Valanciunas
    Vucevic
    B. Lopez(when healthy)

Then there's guys like Gortat, Splitter, and Mozgov who are close.

But Asik is a really good player, and more importantly is a great fit with Davis.

He's def top 15. Only centers at this point of their careers I'm taking over Asik are these guys. Chandler maybe but with his Injury history and age give me Asik long term. Brook Lopez? Can't stay healthy as well. I think those are the only other 2 that are debatable. That puts Asik top 10 or on brink of top 10. Not sure how he can't be top 15.
    Howard
    Cousins
    Noah
    M.Gasol
    Drummond
    Pekovich
    Jefferson
    Vucevic
    I would have Pekovic on my list of guys that's on Asik's level.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 11-27-2014 at 01:52 PM.

M. Gasol
    Cousins
    Drummond
    Hibbert
    Bogut
    Noah
    Howard
    Bosh(if we are counting him as a center)
    Jefferson
    Jordan
    Chandler
    Valanciunas
    Vucevic
    B. Lopez(when healthy)

Then there's guys like Gortat, Splitter, and Mozgov who are close.

But Asik is a really good player, and more importantly is a great fit with Davis.
    Don't agree with bogut and Hibbert at all lol...def forgot valanciunas. I'd take him over Asik. Also give me Asik over deandre jordan as well. Also, bosh is absolutely a PF before a center imo. Same as davis,
    Last edited by kclaboy504; 11-27-2014 at 01:40 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Omer is perfect for this team. He's NOT average. He's actually capable of being a top ten center. I'd rank him around 11-13. His defense and rebounding and teamwork is excellent. Noah, Gasol, Jefferson, Cousins are all clearly better. I don't think anyone is much better than Asik. Definitely not on defense or rebounding. He's really going to change this team for the better.

Don't agree with bogut and Hibbert at all lol...def forgot valanciunas. I'd take him over Asik. Also give me Asik over deandre jordan as well. Also, bosh is absolutely a PF before a center imo. Same as davis,
    It's a matter of opinion. I don't think Asik is less than 17 best center which is close enough to top 15 IMO. Again he fits this team well which is almost as important as individual talent.

I'd take Hibbert because he's in Asik league as a defensive anchor, but isn't nearly as offensively limited as Asik. Jordan is just so much more athletic than Asik he's a dominate roll option out of picks and a better rim protector.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 11-27-2014 at 01:59 PM.

For this season, Asik is 11th in Wins Produced among Centers, despite missing 4 games and playing limited minutes during some others. He is 5th in Wins Produced per 48 minutes played, among centers. He is producing at an elite level by rebounding, blocking shots, and scoring efficiently. Of course, Wind Produced doesn't measure defensive impact well. However, I see his defense affecting not only the bigs we play against, but also preventing a lot of shots by guards who cross through the paint at the baseline looking to lose him and put up a reverse layup. His defense looks great to me, and his defensive stats back that up. so, overall he is a top 5 center in my book. I'd give an edge to Tyson Chandler, Joakim Noah, Dwight Howard, Marc Gasol, and maybe Brandan Wright. I'd put D'andre Jordan, Andrew Bogut, Valenciunus, and Dieng in his league, but lacking the fit with Anthony Davis that Asik brings. NONE of those were available to us for this season, and we weren't likely to have a shot at them any time soon.
    I think when our guard learn to pass him the ball above his chest only (never at his waist or feet) his turnovers will go way down.

Asik isn't athletic??? Wow. What a horribly untrue statement. Lol..guy is built like an ox at 7ft tall. He is actually very athletic. No he doesn't have great hands to catch the ball down low to score but he is a great rebounder. We already knew he wasn't an offensive threat to score down low. Smh...guess u didn't.
    Hahaha what are you drinking this fine Thanksgiving afternoon? Whatever it is, I want it. For you to say that Omer Asik is athletic is the equivalent to saying Reggie bush ran through tackles when he played for the saints. Idc how much you love Asik, for you to say he's athletic just makes me question why I even spend time on this forum. That is an extremely false statement. If Asik was atheltic (meaning if he could jump) I wouldn't have even started this thread. Common man....

Thread Information