Pelicans Report

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Game Thread: Kings vs Pelicans 7pm Ct

As a team we're shooting 27% from three per Vorped. What's especially odd is that we've seen the threes we're taking and they aren't bad shots, nor are they from bad shooters (aside from Reke who is strangely hitting them). I don't know what to point that to. Our volume three point shooters in Jimmer and Ryno have been off for the most part. Gordon wasn't helping until his last couple games. Holiday hasn't been a great shooter. Maybe it's just getting comfortable and into the rhythm of the team. In any case, we've seen what this offense does when it is hitting it's threes. To me that seems as much a barrometer of our success as anything else. If we're hitting threes, we'll be in the game, and if not, then we struggle.

This was a bad loss. Losing at home to an upstart team is rough. This is the kind of game you have to win to be a playoff team. I don't think I'd blame any player/coach/etc. I think this is part of growing pains but it does make me feel pretty sure that there is a lot of mental growth that needs to be done before we turn it around. I didn't think we'd make the playoffs this season, but after seeing how we looked when we played well I thought there was actually a decent chance. I'm adjusting my expectations after seeing how we lack resilience.

It's going to take some luck for things to break for us before the 2016 season. I hope that the Pels get the city to rally around them by that time so it doesn't feel like every game is an away game. Seriously, watch games in Portland, Golden State, LA, Boston, Washington, Sacramento, and Chicago. Those teams have a home court advantage. Those crowds are into the game from start to finish and you hear them rooting for their team any time they make a run, even when they're down big. Looking at the blender lately it is still so quiet and sparse.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    As a team we're shooting 27% from three per Vorped. What's especially odd is that we've seen the threes we're taking and they aren't bad shots, nor are they from bad shooters (aside from Reke who is strangely hitting them). I don't know what to point that to. Our volume three point shooters in Jimmer and Ryno have been off for the most part. Gordon wasn't helping until his last couple games. Holiday hasn't been a great shooter. Maybe it's just getting comfortable and into the rhythm of the team. In any case, we've seen what this offense does when it is hitting it's threes. To me that seems as much a barrometer of our success as anything else. If we're hitting threes, we'll be in the game, and if not, then we struggle.

This was a bad loss. Losing at home to an upstart team is rough. This is the kind of game you have to win to be a playoff team. I don't think I'd blame any player/coach/etc. I think this is part of growing pains but it does make me feel pretty sure that there is a lot of mental growth that needs to be done before we turn it around. I didn't think we'd make the playoffs this season, but after seeing how we looked when we played well I thought there was actually a decent chance. I'm adjusting my expectations after seeing how we lack resilience.

It's going to take some luck for things to break for us before the 2016 season. I hope that the Pels get the city to rally around them by that time so it doesn't feel like every game is an away game. Seriously, watch games in Portland, Golden State, LA, Boston, Washington, Sacramento, and Chicago. Those teams have a home court advantage. Those crowds are into the game from start to finish and you hear them rooting for their team any time they make a run, even when they're down big. Looking at the blender lately it is still so quiet and sparse.
    I'm looking at NBA.com and says the Pelicans are 34.5% for 3P%.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 11-26-2014 at 12:58 AM.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsRynosTime View Post
    So why are you talking about a championship? This team hasn't even made the playoffs. I just want to beat the teams we're supposed to beat. You can't control that far down the road and players you don't have. It is about getting the most out of the players on the roster and Monty has not gotten his players to play how they are capable of playing. The great coaches can get their players to overachieve. The Suns last year. The Kings, Grizzlies, and Rockets this year are overachieving.

Jimmy Graham is easily the best tight end in the NFL. That is quite a compliment!
    Then there's really no issue here. My comment, I thought, clearly was about long term outlook. You are speaking about the here and now.

Nothing wrong with a thing you said either. We shouldn't be getting outplayed by depleted teams. Coming out as flat as we did is all on the staff then the team.

I just finished listening to Monty after the game and he sounded pissed.
    He mentioned several times that the team didn't share the ball and that AD needs to get more than 14 shots.
    He mentioned that some players on the team don't understand that they are playing with other players and need to play as a team more.

Interestingly I then watched the interview with Ryno and they asked him what he thought about AD not getting many shots.
    He responded by saying that we can't just give AD the ball and clear out and that you need to respect what the defense gives you.

Interesting to hear what the players think and what the coach thinks.

I love monty, he preaches the same thing everygame and the right thing, our players for whatever reason don't listen to him.

It sounds like Ryno and tyreke are going to get a mouthful from monty tomorrow.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    If AD isn't getting as many shots as Ryno and Evans you have bigger problems than Jimmer not getting touches.
    That is obvious, but we need scoring and we don't have any at all right now. Jimmer didn't make us lose and hasn't hurt us on the floor. We need to tap this resource. Percentages don't just drop off like that for nothing. Coach isn't doing a great job. We don't have a lot of options scoring wise and he is a decent one that hasn't been used correctly. I hate to see guys sucking out there and not getting yanked while one of our only true potential scoring options off the bench looks at a player wrong and gets yanked. I don't think he is an all-star waiting to go off but he can score. He is like a mini Anderson...they can miss, but they can also run some off as well. We don't have that.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Dedicated. Very nice.

But the issue of which I speak isn't really something that can be argued through stats and figures. I never use them. Never post them. And frankly, don't really care about them. But the thing of it is I'm really beginning to feel about Ryno the same way I'm starting to feel about Jimmy Graham.

Great players at what they do. But not required. Incomplete, and oddly in some ways limited, players, the both of them. Maybe be better utilized as assets than actually towards winning a championship. It's not because I find them lacking. But because I find they may not be the way their respective teams achieve the next level.
    Dude, get outta my head. This has been my argument about both of them for years.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Quote Originally Posted by ItIsRynosTime View Post
    So why are you talking about a championship? This team hasn't even made the playoffs. I just want to beat the teams we're supposed to beat. You can't control that far down the road and players you don't have. It is about getting the most out of the players on the roster and Monty has not gotten his players to play how they are capable of playing. The great coaches can get their players to overachieve. The Suns last year. The Kings, Grizzlies, and Rockets this year are overachieving.

Jimmy Graham is easily the best tight end in the NFL. That is quite a compliment!
    Not to derail but Graham is not better than Gronk and that's coming from a die hard Saints season ticket holder

The Pels have a bunch of a talented players but have maybe 1 or 2 good players. What I mean by that is, the Pels have gifted players but they don't know how to play the game. We have an up and coming superstar on the team but guys refuse to give him the ball. If I were Monty, I'd let the team know that if you're not willing to sacrifice your scoring and run the offense through AD, we're trading you to Philly where you can jack up as many shots as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    The Pels have a bunch of a talented players but have maybe 1 or 2 good players. What I mean by that is, the Pels have gifted players but they don't know how to play the game. We have an up and coming superstar on the team but guys refuse to give him the ball. If I were Monty, I'd let the team know that if you're not willing to sacrifice your scoring and run the offense through AD, we're trading you to Philly where you can jack up as many shots as possible.
    You actually addressed the real issue weeks ago when you noted that others have to adjust to Evans' game. That's the major problem with the Pels. You have the least efficient player taking the most field goals attempts and dominating the ball. Evans has physical talents but his skills are suited to Saint Roch playground.

UNO

Quote Originally Posted by durun View Post
    You actually addressed the real issue weeks ago when you noted that others have to adjust to Evans' game. That's the major problem with the Pels. You have the least efficient player taking the most field goals attempts and dominating the ball. Evans has physical talents but his skills are suited to Saint Roch playground.
    Exactly

i'm just confused as after jimmer, austin, reke, anderson & withey cut into the lead, they only played together for about 40 seconds in the second half. How is Miller on such a short leash but Babbitt gets chance after chance? Small lineups arent all that crazy in todays game

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Has anyone else heard anything about AD being sick for the game? That'd explain a lot.
    Apparently Monty didn't get the memo, because AD played 38 min.

Either he wasn't sick enough where he had to be held out, or we are just looking to run him into the ground.

I love Ryno's response to the reporter about getting AD more shots, " you can't just give him the ball and have everyone clear out." He is actually saying, " If we give him the ball, how am I supposed to go all Dirk?"
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Banned
    Exactly
    That is why he plays with the second unit.

Tyreke needs to get the memo. And where is the consistant play from "all star trade two first rounders for" Jrue Holiday? When AD is having a off night, is there no one who will step up? Its frustrating to watch. Where is this team will and determination to win games? Im sick of the "quiet leaders" approach this team has.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Apparently Monty didn't get the memo, because AD played 38 min.

Either he wasn't sick enough where he had to be held out, or we are just looking to run him into the ground.

I love Ryno's response to the reporter about getting AD more shots, " you can't just give him the ball and have everyone clear out." He is actually saying, " If we give him the ball, how am I supposed to go all Dirk?"
    Ryno is just saying what many of us have said about AD. He still doesn't have go to moves on offense where you can iso him and just ask him to take over.

Just watched Monty post game interview and he hit every nail on the head. He said "we will have a session tommorow where we will be honest with ourselves and know that AD gives us the best opportunity to win ball games" Excactly what ive been saying. Dudes here need to know there place and know who is the true best player on the team. 12 shots a game for the second leading scorer in the league is unacceptable. AD has to voice himself more too, no one else is playing like a true leader, so AD has to make that next step and lead this team and provide this team with the will to WIN games. No BS poor effort lazy games. When guys make stupid IQ choices, call them out, etc. Lets stop being so damn nice and lets start playing and behaving like grown men out there.

We have a bunch of Titos, Jermains, Jackies, and Randys forgetting that the bread and butter is Michael. Reke, Ryno, and even Jrue play bass, drums, and keyboard...AD is the singer. You can follow his lead, or you can make elevator music together when he leaves you.

Ryno's quote was spot on, we need to take our shots, and then we will get it to AD. Spoken like a clueless Randy.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Ryno is just saying what many of us have said about AD. He still doesn't have go to moves on offense where you can iso him and just ask him to take over.
    That's why you run an offensive set that consists of more than two passes. You watch the team play and you can see them processing this line of thinking as they are playing and its frustrating. You run a dribble handoff on one side of floor looking for AD or a drive. If we don't get that we stop and wait for AD. Why not just kick out to the wing and do the same thing from the other side. The defense has respond. We don't do that. At all. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    That's why you run an offensive set that consists of more than two passes. You watch the team play and you can see them processing this line of thinking as they are playing and its frustrating. You run a dribble handoff on one side of floor looking for AD or a drive. If we don't get that we stop and wait for AD. Why not just kick out to the wing and do the same thing from the other side. The defense has respond. We don't do that. At all. Ever.
    Um. I think that is what Ryno and I are both saying. You can't just ISO for AD. He has to have plays ran for him.

We have a bunch of Titos, Jermains, Jackies, and Randys forgetting that the bread and butter is Michael. Reke, Ryno, and even Jrue play bass, drums, and keyboard...AD is the singer. You can follow his lead, or you can make elevator music together when he leaves you.

Ryno's quote was spot on, we need to take our shots, and then we will get it to AD. Spoken like a clueless Randy.
    I, uh...

What?

Quote Originally Posted by SeaLegs View Post
    I, uh...

What?
    I followed it and although I think he is interpreting that Ryno quote poorly his analogy makes sense. AD is the leader and a number of players around him are failing to check their egos and recognize that AD needs to remain the focal point. You might have your drum solo but this is AD's song.

As for the quote this puts his thoughts into context. Ryan Anderson clearly is on the same page as Monty.
    http://www.nba.com/pelicans/pelicans...son-11-25-2014

Quote Originally Posted by crthomps View Post
    We lost a game to a good team. We shot abysmally, and had a number of things go against us (Kings FT%, Casspi, etc.). Sometimes this happens. Doesn't mean we need to clean house. We all know the Kings are a tough matchup for us, as evidenced 1 week ago in our win in Sac. Let's move on.
    Come on man you do know we are suppose to win every game being we are the only team in the NBA. Spurs and everyone else can lose and look bad but God forbid us have a rough game against a good team.

Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    So, how did that work out for you? Did u not see casspi dam near single handily beat us?? Not sure what point you're trying to make but 3pt% means absolutely nothing when rating said player. He is OBVIOUSLY a good ball player and could help us more than 60-70% of our roster including trash miller.
    The guy has his best game of his career and all the sudden he is the answer. Not even entertains how stupid the argument is over Casspi being our missing piece. You Casspi lovers can keep crying over a player that didn't even want to be here who is not a good fit or what we need. My point is his career #s show nothing impressive. He plays no D and can't shoot the 3. Not what we want in our "3 and D" but all the sudden he has a good game and he is the man! A reason he has been bounced around the league and I think we can do better than him and I would hope so or else we won't ever be a contender. How did that work out for me? Haha seriously? I'll be sure to point out eveet terrible game he has if we wanna freak over his best game ever. Reason the guy gets paid what he does and that's not just me but all other 30 GMs making that decision to give him no $.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 11-26-2014 at 03:05 PM.

Thread Information