Pelicans Report

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Game Thread: Kings vs Pelicans 7pm Ct

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    If AD isn't getting as many shots as Ryno and Evans you have bigger problems than Jimmer not getting touches.
    Tonight AD was passive they gave him the ball I don't know how many times. He just elected not to take the shot. You don't blame the team for that.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Ok I'll use his pas 4 seasons including this one 31% 32% 34% and 11%. Is that a big enough sample size for you? While steadily staying in the 60% on FTs? With 40% avg from the field and no D? How much more sample size do you need?
    So, how did that work out for you? Did u not see casspi dam near single handily beat us?? Not sure what point you're trying to make but 3pt% means absolutely nothing when rating said player. He is OBVIOUSLY a good ball player and could help us more than 60-70% of our roster including trash miller.

Oh well, we can all expect a to be 7-8 after this road trip.
    No chance we beat Atlanta and the Wizards playing like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelican_Brief View Post
    Tonight AD was passive they gave him the ball I don't know how many times. He just elected not to take the shot. You don't blame the team for that.
    Which is actually smart on Davis' part. As a player you know when you are off. Why force it when you aren't feeling it. On the days Davis is off it shouldn't be too much to leave the scoring duty to the other players on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    So, how did that work out for you? Did u not see casspi dam near single handily beat us?? Not sure what point you're trying to make but 3pt% means absolutely nothing when rating said player. He is OBVIOUSLY a good ball player and could help us more than 60-70% of our roster including trash miller.
    Good post KC. I don't care about metrics at all. Just watch the game. Casspi has had 2 good games against us. I don't care what his political views are. He's better than Sal, Miller, & Babbitt. Unless he didn't want to play here, he should be a Pel
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    You'd be passive, too, if every time you got the ball was when your guards determined they couldn't get a shot off and half-assedly passed it to you 18 ft away from the rim with the D set.

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    Good post KC. I don't care about metrics at all. Just watch the game. Casspi has had 2 good games against us. I don't care what his political views are. He's better than Sal, Miller, & Babbitt. Unless he didn't want to play here, he should be a Pel
    Political views are enough to get you traded in this league? How pathetic.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    half-assedly.
    I think you made this word up. Please hold. I will peruse Wikipedia to see if it really exists. LOL. Seriously though, your point is spot on

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    You'd be passive, too, if every time you got the ball was when your guards determined they couldn't get a shot off and half-assedly passed it to you 18 ft away from the rim with the D set.

I will say this, it's nice to see Withey and Jimmer get their shine on.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Political views are enough to get you traded in this league? How pathetic.
    I think that his views brought undue attention to his previous team. You know the Pels would rather good character guys over good basketball players. How's that working out? I'll take Boogie Cousins bad attitude over say a Ryno who's an awesome locker room guy in a heartbeat

I'm so dam tired of seeing the same dam thing from this team year in year out. I honestly would be shocked if we make the playoffs. Tyreke evans and ryan Anderson make the most bone headed plays ever. For every "plus" play Reke makes, he makes 3 "boneheaded" plays. It's getting very frustrating to watch. For every "flamethrower" shot Ryan Anderson makes, he gives up 10 more points with his pathetic defense. Not sure how much more I can handle the disappointment this team dishes out.

Quote Originally Posted by NDHornet View Post
    Typical overreactions after a loss.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	panic-button.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	5794

We're still a young team!

Ryno has never met a shot that he didn't like
    That's pretty good that he made half of them then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I agree. Ryno is simply being asked to do too much.
    If you mean guarding Cousins when Asik or AD should be guarding Cousins, you're right.
    Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    This would be the time to try the three big man lineup of Ryno, AD, and Asik.
    The lineup that should have started the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Yeah. I'm about making up my mind about Ryno and our long term outlook.
    The outlook for this game without Ryno is 0-10 from 3pt, with him 3-17 from 3 pt.
    I think Anderson just shots the ball regardless of play called. There was no one on the glass not one person WTF.
    Thank goodness someone can shoot on this team.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alg_Hornet View Post
    We need Ryno to be Ryno tonight
    Should have started and played 38 minutes.
    With Babbitt and Ryno, we are at a severe disadvantage on defense against this team. If they aren't making 3s, they are worse than useless. They're liabilities.
    Since Ryno is making 3's I don't really have to entertain this. But actually, just having Ryno on the floor creates space and driving lanes.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Wait Anderson sucks he can't play and is useless!! Never mind he made a shot he's the best bench player in the NBA!! 6th man of the year!!
    Two poor shooting games gets you in the doghouse apparently. Ryno will have to score 30 or have six good shooting games in a row to get respect on here.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 11-25-2014 at 10:55 PM.

Ok guys, time to think about what kind of win totals will we need to retain our pick?

Not wanting to play here didn't stop Demps from signing Gordon. I doubt it was the determining factor in not signing Casspi. But its hard to deny that he is not better than our current SF's. Casspi signed a minimum contract and counts less than $1,000,000 against the cap.
    Season ticket holder since 2002
    Mostly just trying to satisfy my OCD tendencies by getting to 3,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by speedyG View Post
    shut up
    He's right though, Dell has made some bonehead trade and singing over the years which will keep us a mediocre team.

Does Asik really provide that much more than Robin Lopez?

11 mil on a player with servere offensive deficiencies is not how you build a championship team.

Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    He's right though, Dell has made some bonehead trade and singing over the years which will keep us a mediocre team.

11 mil on a player with servere offensive deficiencies is not how you build a championship team.
    Robin Lopez had his best year with Portland last year. He has improved his rebounding and FT shooting.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post

There are actually two ways to win games in the NBA.... outscore the opposition or hold them to fewer points than you score.... Asiik was signed solely for his contributions to the latter.... time will tell as to how that pans out.....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Of course my first game of the season in person was a loss.

I was 4 rows back from the court on the opposite side of the Kings bench. It's nice to be so close but at the same time it's hard to watch the plays and catch certain nuanced from so close. With that said, some things I joticed that probably don't come across on TV:

- players got visibly mad at Rivers for a couple of plays after missing a switch and then another for letting a defender past him. AD was also visibly pissed when rivers ignored him for an easy lay up. Every time they got mad he started to look timid. Could tell it affected him.

- ryno was clearly the most vocal leader on the team. For someone so bad defensively he jawed at other players a lot.

- AD basically looked like he had given up by half way through the third. Heck the whole team did. You could tell there was no fire, no anger at the lead getting out of hand and as for AD, by the fourth he was just aloof during breaks and seemed to have chalked up the loss. Very disappointing to see.

- I know people hate Ref whining and we were actually getting calls tonight but there were still a couple of bad calls that it would be nice to see our team being more vocal to the refs. There were a couple in particular a Evans layup and an Asik foul where the crowd was pissed but the players just accepted the bad calls after very little push back. I know it's a fine line when ref whining but frankly we need to be more vocal.

- on the refs, it was interesting to hear the refs basically talk **** about Evans after the foul on the break where he lobbed it up way behind the arc.

- the most frustrating series was watching evans Late in the second half get on the break and basically turn it over by passing it to the other team, committing a foul on the defense. Then when they got the ball back after the shots evans loses Casspi which forces a late switch and either an AND 1 or a score or something. I was pulling my hair out at Evans after that.

I was 4 rows back from the court on the opposite side of the Kings bench. It's nice to be so close but at the same time it's hard to watch the plays and catch certain nuanced from so close. With that said, some things I joticed that probably don't come across on TV:

- players got visibly mad at Rivers for a couple of plays after missing a switch and then another for letting a defender past him. AD was also visibly pissed when rivers ignored him for an easy lay up. Every time they got mad he started to look timid. Could tell it affected him.

- ryno was clearly the most vocal leader on the team. For someone so bad defensively he jawed at other players a lot.

- AD basically looked like he had given up by half way through the third. Heck the whole team did. You could tell there was no fire, no anger at the lead getting out of hand and as for AD, by the fourth he was just aloof during breaks and seemed to have chalked up the loss. Very disappointing to see.

- I know people hate Ref whining and we were actually getting calls tonight but there were still a couple of bad calls that it would be nice to see our team being more vocal to the refs. There were a couple in particular a Evans layup and an Asik foul where the crowd was pissed but the players just accepted the bad calls after very little push back. I know it's a fine line when ref whining but frankly we need to be more vocal.

- on the refs, it was interesting to hear the refs basically talk **** about Evans after the foul on the break where he lobbed it up way behind the arc.

- the most frustrating series was watching evans Late in the second half get on the break and basically turn it over by passing it to the other team, committing a foul on the defense. Then when they got the ball back after the shots evans loses Casspi which forces a late switch and either an AND 1 or a score or something. I was pulling my hair out at Evans after that.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post

Thanks for the insight. The Pelicans blew it. This was a must win game. 6.5 point favorites and Sacramento missing two of their best players.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsRynosTime View Post
    The outlook for this game without Ryno is 0-10 from 3pt, with him 3-17 from 3 pt.

Since Ryno is making 3's I don't really have to entertain this. But actually, just having Ryno on the floor creates space and driving lanes.
    Dedicated. Very nice.

But the issue of which I speak isn't really something that can be argued through stats and figures. I never use them. Never post them. And frankly, don't really care about them. But the thing of it is I'm really beginning to feel about Ryno the same way I'm starting to feel about Jimmy Graham.

Great players at what they do. But not required. Incomplete, and oddly in some ways limited, players, the both of them. Maybe be better utilized as assets than actually towards winning a championship. It's not because I find them lacking. But because I find they may not be the way their respective teams achieve the next level.

My last observation was something il sure other saw but Ryno guarding Cousins. Why? There was no logic to it in the first half and then to see monty ok with it at the end of the game, with Asik and Davis on the court no less, was maddening.

Also people rail on him but Gordon not being there really hurts us. He does a lot off the ball, is a good decision maker and keeps teams honest. Right now we are plugging in guys that are critically flawed and just aren't the balanced player Gordon was - even if he wasn't lighting it up. Monty is really gonna have his work cut out for him and is going to prove his worth seeing how he adjusts and responds to the hole in our starting roster.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 11-25-2014 at 11:57 PM.

Has anyone else heard anything about AD being sick for the game? That'd explain a lot.

Dedicated. Very nice.

But the issue of which I speak isn't really something that can be argued through stats and figures. I never use them. Never post them. And frankly, don't really care about them. But the thing of it is I'm really beginning to feel about Ryno the same way I'm starting to feel about Jimmy Graham.

Great players at what they do. But not required. Incomplete, and oddly in some ways limited, players, the both of them. Maybe be better utilized as assets than actually towards winning a championship. It's not because I find them lacking. But because I find they may not be the way their respective teams achieve the next level.
    So why are you talking about a championship? This team hasn't even made the playoffs. I just want to beat the teams we're supposed to beat. You can't control that far down the road and players you don't have. It is about getting the most out of the players on the roster and Monty has not gotten his players to play how they are capable of playing. The great coaches can get their players to overachieve. The Suns last year. The Kings, Grizzlies, and Rockets this year are overachieving.

Jimmy Graham is easily the best tight end in the NFL. That is quite a compliment!
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 11-26-2014 at 12:18 AM.

Thread Information