Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Imagine having a moron GM who thinks giving a cancer like Tyreke 4/48 is a good idea

Imagine having a moron GM who thinks giving a cancer like Tyreke 4/48 is a good idea

Imagine that GM also trading away a much better player in Robin Lopez on a 5 mil a year contract to get Tyreke Evans
    Imagine that same moron GM compounding that by trading away another likely lottery pick (likely understatement of the century) to get a center who is as good as the one he traded away

Imagine that same moron GM trading 2 lottery picks for Jrue tunnel vision Holiday
    Imagine that same moron GM giving Eric Gordon a max contract
    Imagine that same moron GM spending a top 10 lottery pick on Austin Rivers
    Imagine that same moron GM putting together a roster where John Salmons' corpse's corpse, Luke I make statues look mobile Babbitt, Alexis I could foul out of a game if there was no one else in the gym Ajinca, Jimmer Fredette (he is so bad he doesn't deserve anything else said about him) play rotation minutes

Not that hard to imagine

Tyreke needs to dial his game down some, and I was one of the biggest critics at first when we signed him, but we need his playmaking. It's hard to get more talented players on a losing small market team. He was worth a shot and his deal isn't immovable or anything

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Calling a player you don't like a cancer is like saying I want to break your legs for saying it.

Uncalled for.

And Jrue Holiday is better than any player we would've gotten in the draft that year. All the other stuff? Whatever.

Imagine that same moron gm trading away a young Ariza for nothing
    Imagine that same moron gm trading a 1st for Jerryd Bayless

This thread should be locked.

Imagine the same moron who traded Quincy pondexter for grieves Vasquez, another 1 year rental, like Asik.

I dont get the Jrue deal criticisms. How long do you want to stay a lottery team? You end up like the 76ers or Cavs before Lebron. It creates a losing culture and by the time those lottery picks deals expire, you still suck and they want out anyway (ie Kevin Love)
    Last edited by speedyG; 11-29-2014 at 08:49 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    The Tyreke trade looks pretty bad right now. I like the Jrue trade still.

Newsflash: We are a lottery team now and a big part of the reason is because Jrue Holiday isn't a guy that moves the needle. He is a league average PG at best. He is worse than a guy like Jeff Teague who Atlanta wasn't even sure if they were signing for a while.

Spending 2 top 10 lottery picks to get a player like that is a horrible waste of assets.

This thread is giving me rabies.

Quote Originally Posted by LOLLakers View Post
    Newsflash: We are a lottery team now and a big part of the reason is because Jrue Holiday isn't a guy that moves the needle. He is a league average PG at best. He is worse than a guy like Jeff Teague who Atlanta wasn't even sure if they were signing for a while.

Spending 2 top 10 lottery picks to get a player like that is a horrible waste of assets.
    Except when we made the trade we werent expecting half the roster to end up on the IR. But still I disagree, I'm not impressed by MCW or Noel and people dont consider how often lottery picks bust. Whereas in Jrue we got a proven well rounded player who probably hasn't even hit his ceiling yet

Quote Originally Posted by speedyG View Post
    Except when we made the trade we werent expecting half the roster to end up on the IR. But still I disagree, I'm not impressed by MCW or Noel and people dont consider how often lottery picks bust. Whereas in Jrue we got a proven well rounded player who probably hasn't even hit his ceiling yet
    It's simpler to focus on the flaws and say a player is less of what he is. That way, if you're right. You get to say "I told you so!" And if you're wrong, it's still a positive outcome for the team. So, cathartic ranting a-go-go, baby!

You know what I really dislike that is becoming a habit on this board lately? Instead of people voicing their disagreements with a post they rather post some mindless insult about the post.

Instead of saying why you disagree with Demps being a moron gm we get moronic posts like "this thread should be locked" and "this thread is giving me rabies"

Imagine having a thread about imagining having an imaginary moron GM. Now imagine said thread in the trash.

Imagine having a life, where you have to make real decisions and live with the consequences......

Banned
    This team would lend credence to the fact that he is not the brightest basketball mind, at this point of less than great antiquity.

I agree the thread is trash.

We have to like Dell Demps on this board because of some asinine reason despite the fact that he has a track record of horrible moves and the fact that pretty much everyone that isn't a Pelicans fans thinks he is bad at his job. We also have to pretend that those people are just haters and that they want Davis gone from the small market because we have to be insecure.

The only guys we are allowed to bash here are Eric Gordon and of course public scapegoat number 1 Monty Williams who is responsible for everything bad.

Babbitt, Jimmer, Ajinca, Salmons are all guys that should be playing in an NBA rotation. Paying 12 mil a year for Tyreke Evans to post a TS percentage of 46 is definitely a good move. Trading a center that is starting for a Western contender and that changed their entire outlook that was making 5 mil a year was a great move. Austin Rivers is producing like a lottery pick. Jrue Holiday struggling to make right reads running pick and rolls with two of the best pick and roll weapons is not a big deal.

I forgot the game was on and watched This is the End. Now knowing I missed the game for it, I could care less how bad the movie was.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

When Reke was signed, it was the most mind boggling decision to me. I rationalized it by saying maybe Dell knows that EG was really hurt and Reke was insurance. That signing is as mind boggling today as it was then. I imagined the convo like this.

Dell: Coach, what's our biggest need?
    Monty: SF for sure Dell
    Dell: nah, we have Chief. I'm going park in front of Tyreke's crib before the Ball Up guys get there. You can never have too many ball dominate guards on the team.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    You know what I really dislike that is becoming a habit on this board lately? Instead of people voicing their disagreements with a post they rather post some mindless insult about the post.

Instead of saying why you disagree with Demps being a moron gm we get moronic posts like "this thread should be locked" and "this thread is giving me rabies"
    My, my, my. How passive-aggressive of you, old bean.

When the premise of the thread doesn't really have much thought or tact put into it's creation, begging the question all throughout the post, what obligation do I have to provide much in a substantive rebuttal?

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    My, my, my. How passive-aggressive of you, old bean.

When the premise of the thread doesn't really have much thought or tact put into it's creation, begging the question all throughout the post, what obligation do I have to provide much in a substantive rebuttal?
    EDIT: I take back what I said, you did explain yourself. I just saw the rabies post and not your other ones.

No calling out Monty? disappointed.

I am expecting a better troll thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Calling a player you don't like a cancer is like saying I want to break your legs for saying it.

Uncalled for.

And Jrue Holiday is better than any player we would've gotten in the draft that year. All the other stuff? Whatever.
    I am still on the fence about Holiday. The deal cost us two first round picks and so far he seems to be a player that is good, likely toward the back of the top ten at his position, but isn't exactly a difference maker. Who seems to be very feast and famine and has questionable BB-IQ. But he has surpassed my original expectations but it will still be a couple years before you can really judge the trade.

The rest of the OP's arguments hold some weight even if they weren't articulated well.

The Evans trade looks pretty bad in retrospect and ultimately has cost us a starting Center, cap space and what is likely a late lottery pick to replace the hole bringing Evans on made. Evans doesnt look like a complimentary piece to Davis or the rest of the team.

Austin Rivers still looks like a bad pick in comparison to what was still available.

Demps started out his career here filling our bench with a lot of great finds and flipping bad players for players with good upside but has recently had a string of bad misses. Morrow was in there so he gets credit for that, but Stiemsma, Salmons, Jimmer, Babbitt, and Miller have all been poor signings.

The Bayless trade is also one that goes under the radar but that pick turned into Tobias Harris and players like Reggie Jackson, Kenneth Faried, Chandler Parsons and Bojan Bogdanovic were all still on the board.

If you are gonna give up the future to win now you need to hit. Demps has been more miss then hit with his asset trading transactions. He spent the future first to try and keep Paul and failed. Now he has traded most of our assets to create this current team and the outcome - even before the Gordon injury - was sketchy at best.

I can see what we were trying to do with those moves at the time. But taken in as a whole, nope. Not a shining beacon.

However, some moves thrown in by others after the fact are fruitless. The Ariza and Okafor trade cleared us of two hard contracts and Ariza then wasn't the player he is now. Not by a long shot. The Bayless situation was so perplexing. Because it was clear Bayless had talent, but there was some bizarre disconnect. Either Demps made the move and Monty didn't really approve or something.

As for Austin Rivers, it's a draft. Just about every way you can look at it has hindsight backing you. Too easy to say what should've been Can only look at the move at the time...

And to be honest, something always worried me about Rivers. I said as much when we took him. But whatever. One way or another, we'll be sure what to do with him come the end of the season.

Now for Evans, when things aren't going well, yeah, Evans really looks like a bad move. But it's been called an experiment...yet there's strong evidence to say that it can work. That Evans can be a productive asset to the team. And it isn't hypothetical. It was pretty much all post-AS game last season. End of the day, agree with him or not. The moves Demps made haven't been moronic. Polarizing, sure. But the premise of the OP is just insulting.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    I've always been such a Demps supporter but... I kinda agree. You look at what everyone says: don't trade picks early in a rebuild. We all justified it by saying Demps knew what he was doing. But here we are with no picks and a team under .500 with absolutely NO young assets or cheap roleplayers. The same exact reasons why they say not to trade first early into a rebuild.

Tyreke seems worse then Rolo. Everyone around here said Rolo couldn't start for any decent team. He is. Vasquez was traded at peak value in that trade and he's solid depth for another really good team. I won't even go over Omer possibly walking this offseason because that's just too pessimistic even for me. God I hope we can keep him.

I'm still fine with the Jrue trade because he looks like he helps the team win. I'm not going to say it's something we undoubtedly should've done but I love Jrue and his impact is obvious. But Tyreke... Man it's just a love hate relationship. I'm excited to watch him play but dang he can't work off the bench, dang he can't play without floor spacers, dang he needs the ball a bit more DANG HE CANNOT MAKE LAYUPS. WITH THE BALL IN HIS HANDS. IN THE STARTING UNIT. WITH ANDERSON IN.

I'm just sad. I'll get bashed for this but I'd like to say I still have faith in this team. I'm just ranting.

But there is cause for concern. I think that's fair to say.
    @DanielVeuleman

Thread Information