Pelicans Report

Thread: Insurance Question

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar

Insurance Question

It's been said that the Pelicans have been given a hard budget to work with, salary cap notwithstanding. But it got me thinking was Eric's contract insured? Most likely it wasn't, given his injury history and the 30 million remaining on his contract, but if it was, then after a waiting period then insurance could potentially pay up to 80% percent of his contract. This would make it a whole lot more palatable to apply for the disabled player (injury exception) which I think we would get, especially if EG opted for surgery. Just throwing this out there. Of course Gordon's salary is still on our books, but in "real dollars & cents" we aren't paying for (all) of it.

I think every NBA team is forced to get insurance for its top 5 paid players. So yeah we would probably get back some of his salary.
    I think the tough part is will EG come back at the end of the season? I want that injury exception.

Quote Originally Posted by jrue_grit View Post
    I think every NBA team is forced to get insurance for its top 5 paid players. So yeah we would probably get back some of his salary.
    I think the tough part is will EG come back at the end of the season? I want that injury exception.
    did we ever figure out how much we would save on him with the injury exemption?

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    did we ever figure out how much we would save on him with the injury exemption?
    I think MM said it would be 5.3 mil if EG was done for the year, since we are over the cap.

Quote Originally Posted by jrue_grit View Post
    Is this new? Because I'm pretty sure this wasnt in place before the last CBA. See; Stoudemire, Amare

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Amare was special case, forget why
    Please visit http://playbal.blogspot.com/ to read my articles

Thread Information