Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: EG Prognosis

If Rivers takes EG's spot. That would give Russ Smith some minutes, which IMO would be a good thing. We could see Russ,Ryno,Withey,Babbit and probably Salmons. Jimmer will get some run as well with this group....

Rivers is a huge ball stoper and slows down the offense because he hesitates so much with his decision making. He would kill the flow of the starting unit. I rather Babbit start he either shoots the 3 or defers no extra dribbling for him. He should get plenty of open looks.

1-6

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    How will losing EG affect the offense?

I have a feeling Tyreke will move into Eric's spot. Then either Babbit or (gulp) Salmons will start at 3 but still play backup minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    How will losing EG affect the offense?
    I don't think too much it will hurt not having another scorer but it will help ball movement. When you put guys like Ryan or Babbit at the 3 they know it's their job just to shoot or pass not to waste dribbles.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I have a feeling Tyreke will move into Eric's spot. Then either Babbit or (gulp) Salmons will start at 3 but still play backup minutes.
    I agree. Salmons, I hate to admit it, would be a better fit.....He'll be the glue guy...But, his minutes like you said, should be backup minutes....

EG will be on 4th down on 4 in a few minutes. Just if anybody wants to watch locally.

Asked how long he would be out but said wasn't sure and have to see results. Very frustrated. (Arm in a sling)
    Talked about how special AD is.
    Indicated he was finding his role which has been difficult for him as he likes the ball in his hands.
    Last edited by shanesy; 11-23-2014 at 11:34 PM.

Rivers is soooooooo sloooooooooow at making a decision when running the point.

He is very conservative most of the time, which is stupid because he has a quick enough first step to get through defenders regularly, like a Steph Curry lite.

3 seasons in, now is not the time to be timid.

I think Rivers has to move into the first unit.

Babbitt just isn't a good enough defender to run with the first unit. I know Rivers would give the first unit three ball handlers, and deplete the second unit, but Babbitt is just too big a defensive liability, especially while Asik is out.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Phoenix was a LIE!

EG's heart is in Oschner! (along with his knee, shoulder & spleen)

Gordon is out indefinitly with a torn labrum

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Eric Gordon, out indefinitely, with a torn labrum. Per the Pelicans via nba.com. I just saw the team announcement on FB.

Made a new thread for it. Didn't want it to get hidden or buried in this speculation thread

Am I the only one who would choose to start salmons? He might be a crappy 3 and D but he can in fact play good defense and hit the 3 at a high rate.

Really hope dells takes this time to go after a small forward. I doubt we can get AK but hamilton had some really good games last year.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Am I the only one who would choose to start salmons? He might be a crappy 3 and D but he can in fact play good defense and hit the 3 at a high rate.
    He can't hit the 3

Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    He can't hit the 3
    career 37% 3pt shooter and over his last 3 seasons he's averaged 39% from 3. What u talking bout willis?

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Rivers is a huge ball stoper and slows down the offense because he hesitates so much with his decision making. He would kill the flow of the starting unit. I rather Babbit start he either shoots the 3 or defers no extra dribbling for him. He should get plenty of open looks.
    You think he would be making the decisions in the 1st unit?

Honestly, I think I'd rather Salmons starting. Dude has been hot garbage no doubt but in the starting lineup with play makers around him I'd like to see what he can do. He might actually be able to defend a wing and if his spot up 3 falls anywhere near last year's rate he will at least be a neutral player. I'm fearful of Babbitt or Miller as net negatives in the starting lineup.

I wouldn't bring Austin into the starting lineup unless I had zero faith in any of my wings. I'd rather him start in the 2nd unit with Ryno. We pull Austin out of the 2nd and Ryno will literally take every shot because there is no one else.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 11-24-2014 at 11:48 AM.

He can't hit the 3
    were u thinking of someone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Honestly, I think I'd rather Salmons starting. Dude has been hot garbage no doubt but in the starting lineup with play makers around him I'd like to see what he can do. I might actually be able to defend a wing and if his spot up 3 falls anywhere near last year's rate he will at least be a neutral player. I'm fearful of Babbitt or Miller as net negatives in the starting lineup.
    Agree with this.

So, the option now is to decide between mole vision Rivers, trash heap Salmons, and cement feet Babbit?

Where's that sad Pelican pic?

How is having to play Russ Smith a good thing. The guys gives you absolutely nothing except fouls and decent defense.

Gordon may have been struggling, but recently he was playing well, and this only hurts the team now and in the future.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Glass Half Empty: The injury kills our depth and exposes us on the wing. Gordon was the 1 player playing average or below who had the skills and resume to play at an above average rate. Could leave us in a difficult position to make the playoffs and snuffing out any chance we had to retain our pick from the Asik trade. Gordon missing the season eliminates the possibilty of him opting out.

Glass Half Full: Gordon was playing poorly overall, regardless of his trending up. 8 extra shots per game up for grabs, Anthony Davis could get some of those. Jrue handles the ball more. Tyreke moves to natural position. Rivers plays more, who was statistically superior to Gordon. There was a very real possibility that Gordon was never going to be able to adjust fully to the 5th banana role of low usage, high percentage shooter. Now with his abscence there are at 4 or 5 guys who stand to get more playing time, who may in fact be better at it as a platoon, than Gordon was ever going to be this year.

Overall Outlook: This is a devastating injury for the franchise. Eric Gordon will not opt out and that's really the big takeaway. The only consolation is that an increased workload for AD, Jrue, and Tyreke plus a more natural look with the Babbitt, Salmons, Miller trio makes us incrementally better in the short term. I say that because they are not learning how to be 4th or 5th options like Gordon was. Those guys will be tasked with taking open looks, making said looks, and competing on defense while limiting fouls and turnovers. The learning curve may be easier for them. They just gotta knock them down. Easier said than done, I know.

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    Glass Half Empty: The injury kills our depth and exposes us on the wing. Gordon was the 1 player playing average or below who had the skills and resume to play at an above average rate. Could leave us in a difficult position to make the playoffs and snuffing out any chance we had to retain our pick from the Asik trade. Gordon missing the season eliminates the possibilty of him opting out.

Glass Half Full: Gordon was playing poorly overall, regardless of his trending up. 8 extra shots per game up for grabs, Anthony Davis could get some of those. Jrue handles the ball more. Tyreke moves to natural position. Rivers plays more, who was statistically superior to Gordon. There was a very real possibility that Gordon was never going to be able to adjust fully to the 5th banana role of low usage, high percentage shooter. Now with his abscence there are at 4 or 5 guys who stand to get more playing time, who may in fact be better at it as a platoon, than Gordon was ever going to be this year.

Overall Outlook: This is a devastating injury for the franchise. Eric Gordon will not opt out and that's really the big takeaway. The only consolation is that an increased workload for AD, Jrue, and Tyreke plus a more natural look with the Babbitt, Salmons, Miller trio makes us incrementally better in the short term. I say that because they are not learning how to be 4th or 5th options like Gordon was. Those guys will be tasked with taking open looks, making said looks, and competing on defense while limiting fouls and turnovers. The learning curve may be easier for them. They just gotta knock them down. Easier said than done, I know.
    Yeah no chance he opts out sadly. As frustrating as this injury is, the most we can hope for is Rivers or [insert bench player here] finds their niche with the extra minutes available.

Thread Information