Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: EG Prognosis

EG Prognosis

What was originally reported during the broadcast as a "separated" shoulder has now been classified as a subluxation of his left shoulder:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...der-and-return

He looks like he is in serious pain in that photo and is grabbing his posterior left shoulder which is where the rotator cuff attaches.

http://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.s...separated.html

A shoulder subluxation is more similar to what Drew Brees sustained in San Diego which of course changed the history of the New Orleans Saints when released from the Chargers and declined by the Dophins. Hopefully Eric Gordons injury is not as severe as Dwayne Wade's 2007 injury. (Who elected to play out the season before eventually having surgery and extensive rehab)

A shoulder separation is a tear of the Acromio-clavicular joint of the joint between the collar bone and shoulder blade and does not involve the shoulder joint itself. This is more like the injury Jimmy Graham has fought through this year. First degree tears while painful can be played through without long term consequences.

Shoulder subluxations, however, sometimes require surgery and rest and extensive therapy to avoid frozen shoulders and recurrent dislocations.
    A shoulder subluxation can be a season ending injury especially if associated with labral or tendon tears.

http://www.orthop.washington.edu/?q=...slocation.html

Also apparently a shoulder subluxation can be as serious as a shoulder dislocation:

http://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.s...separated.html

Don't expect the Pelicans team or medical staff to release any meaningful information about Eric's injury if their recent philosophy is adhered to even after he has an MRI. For example it was not until weeks after Ryan Anderson's surgery that I learned he had an extensive fusion of the cervical spine and not a simple disc surgery. Again, don't expect to get any information about Asik's back problem (which is causing radiating pain into his buttocks) even after he has an MRI (I suspect tomorrow).
    Season ticket holder since 2002
    Mostly just trying to satisfy my OCD tendencies by getting to 3,000 posts

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Great.

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    well that's just fantastic. so much for the theory that we got all our injuries out of the way at once last year. unbelievable.

Get well soon EG. Next one up.

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    Smh. EG can't buy a break if it was on layaway.

I guess the real question for us fans is how does this factor into his decision to opt in or out at the end of the year. Logic would say this means another year of Gordon on his current contract.

Get well soon Eric. Hate to see a guy career damage by injures like this.

He will sit out this season and recover and opt in next to get his value up. As for Omer this is bad I don't understand the {edited - veiled cursing} injury luck with this team.

1-6

I battled shoulder reoccurring subluxation for over a year in high school. As a linebacker, this was a terrible predicament. I never had surgery and went on to play collegiate so it is not a end all be all. It is painful as hell the first few times but it is not a lasting pain. At the moment it happens you have absolutely no strength in your arm. You can't raise your arm to save your life. However, after a few that can go away. I have gone back into games within the same series as a subluxation.
    That being said Gordon milks this out to miss at least 2 weeks maybe season ending.

Now that you say it i wonder if it was that which i suffered playing football myself...my shoulder hurt a ton and i couldn't lift up my arm at all. After a while it was better but still hurt when i did some movements...weird

I'm more worried about Asik than Gordon but I do hope Dell goes out and sign Jordan Hamilton or Quincy Miller. We can start a Jrue and Reke back court and rotate the sf position between Hamilton, Ryan, and Babbit or find a way to get AK.

Seriously taking into consideration how much time and effort I chose to invest into this team. It has gotten to the point where I almost can't handle this injury-proness that every one of our players has.

Thanks for the information. More information about Asik when we hear something would be appreciated as well.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Asik is a beast. He will return fine. Gordon just isn't meant to work out. But I still think we'll get a new player who will help. Everyone will step it up.

Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    I'm more worried about Asik than Gordon but I do hope Dell goes out and sign Jordan Hamilton or Quincy Miller. We can start a Jrue and Reke back court and rotate the sf position between Hamilton, Ryan, and Babbit or find a way to get AK.
    Likewise man. Asik is critical for this team.

Quote Originally Posted by goat gorilla View Post
    I battled shoulder reoccurring subluxation for over a year in high school. As a linebacker, this was a terrible predicament. I never had surgery and went on to play collegiate so it is not a end all be all. It is painful as hell the first few times but it is not a lasting pain. At the moment it happens you have absolutely no strength in your arm. You can't raise your arm to save your life. However, after a few that can go away. I have gone back into games within the same series as a subluxation.

That being said Gordon milks this out to miss at least 2 weeks maybe season ending.

Very unlikely to be season ending. They will take precaution though and he'll probably miss 4-6 weeks

I'm pretty certain Brees injury was way worse than a subluxation. He tore his labrum and most people described it a pretty gruesome.

since EG is the root of all of our problems, the team should skyrocket in wins in his absence.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    since EG is the root of all of our problems, the team should skyrocket in wins in his absence.
    We would actually think this if we got to use his 15 million for other players. THAT is the actual argument some have.
    @mcnamara247

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    We would actually think this if we got to use his 15 million for other players. THAT is the actual argument some have.
    That's not what he's saying and you know that.

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    That's not what he's saying and you know that.
    I am confused. I know he is not saying that. That's my point.

He is implying that people here argue that we would be better without him. When, what people here actually argue, is that if we can get rid of him and use his 15 mil for a SF and depth, most of our problems would be solved.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    I am confused. I know he is not saying that. That's my point.

He is implying that people here argue that we would be better without him. When, what people here actually argue, is that if we can get rid of him and use his 15 mil for a SF and depth, most of our problems would be solved.
    No, people here use the very valid financial argument to make EG a scape goat. The guy gets no love unless he's 0-0 from the field with 0 turnovers and 16 pts and then they'll wonder why he wasn't more agressive. Our team, as presently constructed, needs his production. NO ONE argues that we need out from under his contract, but it's point less to beat that drum every time EG takes a three and misses.

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    No, people here use the very valid financial argument to make EG a scape goat. The guy gets no love unless he's 0-0 from the field with 0 turnovers and 16 pts and then they'll wonder why he wasn't more agressive. Our team, as presently constructed, needs his production. NO ONE argues that we need out from under his contract, but it's point less to beat that drum every time EG takes a three and misses.
    I think all rational minds agree with that. I guess I don't see much Gordon hating. I see Gordon Contract hating. Of course this team is better with him getting 30 mins, as opposed to those minutes being split between Rivers, Jimmer, and Russ. I didn't know anybody thought otherwise.

I think all rational minds agree with that. I guess I don't see much Gordon hating. I see Gordon Contract hating. Of course this team is better with him getting 30 mins, as opposed to those minutes being split between Rivers, Jimmer, and Russ. I didn't know anybody thought otherwise.
    This, I could even tolerate EG if he was making 10 million a year, but at 15 million for what he has provided this season gives people reason not to like him.

I'm kind of excited to see the Jrue and Reke backcourt, hopping that Monty moves Reke to the 2. I also expect to see a lot of Ryan at the 3.

I see personal hatred by many. For example, how you intentionally skewed stats. Even Gerry V called you out on BSS. How about that statement you are to suppose to release when Gordon is no longer a Pel. Release the statement and stop hiding in Utah. That alone shows ity personal. The sad part is that you do not even attend games atthe SKC.

Thread Information