Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: EG Prognosis

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    BTW look up Reke's wingspan. I don't think k SFs shooting over him is an issue we have to worry about.

I just hope there will be move come December 15.
    Especially if EG is out for a considerable amount of time.

No way Demps agreed to pay Salmons 2M a year and then not pick up River's option without something in the works.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    I'm hoping we keep him at the 3 and start Rivers in Gordon's place.
    But then you have two guys on the floor in Evans and Rivers who are limited without the ball in their hands. I would rather see Babbitt start and Rivers come off the bench.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    I just hope there will be move come December 15.
    Especially if EG is out for a considerable amount of time.

No way Demps agreed to pay Salmons 2M a year and then not pick up River's option without something in the works.
    Can I ask what is the significance of December 15th?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans78 View Post
    But then you have two guys on the floor in Evans and Rivers who are limited without the ball in their hands. I would rather see Babbitt start and Rivers come off the bench.
    Doesn't Rivers have a good catch and shoot%. It sucks because we don't get to see that with the 2nd unit.

Can I ask what is the significance of December 15th?

Doesn't Rivers have a good catch and shoot%. It sucks because we don't get to see that with the 2nd unit.
    Salmons, Jimmer, Miller and Young can all be traded on or after DEC 15.
    Last edited by AUSSIE_PELICAN; 11-23-2014 at 07:50 PM.

Salmons can be traded on or after DEC 15.
    Gotcha. Yeah 90 days since we signed him?

So you thinking we might package Rivers and Salmons in a deal?

Gotcha. Yeah 90 days since we signed him?

So you thinking we might package Rivers and Salmons in a deal?
    Yes 90 days.

I think something has to happen if Gordon misses considerable time.
    However I think it's unlikely because of the 'friend' factor.

None of those player's are worth anything even in a package.

TBH I don't see anyone available as an upgrade.

Q Miller & Hamilton won't be coming here.

Does anyone know when 10 day contracts can start?

Unless serious injuries occur like you said I can't see us making a move until 2015. Could easily be wrong though, wouldn't be the first time.

1st of the year.

1st of the year.
    TY

AJ Price from Indiana is already on his second of the season?

What scares me most is the inevitable AD injury we know is coming.

Hopefully Eric Gordon's injury is minor but if it is a season ending injury how does this affect the Pelicans vs for example the injuries to the Saints Rafael Bush and Brandon Cooks?

I don't completely understand the complexities but my understanding is that in the NBA player contracts are guaranteed, meaning that their team is obligated to pay the entire salary whether their player is playing or injured. I don't really understand what an injury hardship in the NBA means. In the NFL only the guaranteed dollars is guaranteed. So to compare the Saints Drew Brees to the Pelicans Eric Gordon, although Drew signed a five-year $100,000,000 contract in 2012 his guaranteed portion was a back loaded $60,500,000 deal. Eric Gordon signed a deal in 2012 with the then Hornets for 4 years for $58,365, 363 which is fully guaranteed. This deal was also backloaded with Gordon receiving $13,668,750 in the first year and $15,514,031 in 2015-2016.

Furthermore, NFL teams have a hard cap which limits the money they can pay their players. In the NBA there are many exceptions to the cap. Most NFL contracts are not for more than 3 years. In the NFL when a player is injured and goes on IR the team is only required to pay the guaranteed portion of the players contract. As opposed to injured reserve in the NFL the NBA has an inactive list of up to 3 players per game. Only players who die or have career ending injuries can be released from an NBA team?

So I guess my question is if Eric Gordon is injured for the rest of the season what options do the Pelicans have to improve their roster?
    What is the disabled player exception and how do you qualify?
    Last edited by DRDJ1; 11-23-2014 at 08:35 PM.
    Season ticket holder since 2002
    Mostly just trying to satisfy my OCD tendencies by getting to 3,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post

SHUT UP!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post

80. What is a 10-day contract?

A 10-day contract is just that, a player contract which lasts ten days (or three games, whichever comes later). Teams may sign players to 10-day contracts starting January 5.

So its the 5th of January not the 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by MMEmbreno View Post
    Yeah I've never had a problem with Babbitt's hustle. Just worried about how effective he can be on O if his shot isn't falling and how effective he would be on the defensive end if his confidence is down on the offensive end. Basically same with salmons, we have a problem going forward, but I just think salmons would be more vocal with AD and help him Out more on the floor than babbit would. It's going to be an interesting few days...
    I feel this exact way about Ryno. There's already not enough shots to go around. Babbitt or Salmons would fine on the offensive end. Defense is what concerns me
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    No, people here use the very valid financial argument to make EG a scape goat. The guy gets no love unless he's 0-0 from the field with 0 turnovers and 16 pts and then they'll wonder why he wasn't more agressive. Our team, as presently constructed, needs his production. NO ONE argues that we need out from under his contract, but it's point less to beat that drum every time EG takes a three and misses.
    Thanks for saving me from typing a paragraph on this iPad. You get it

Quote Originally Posted by durun View Post
    I see personal hatred by many. For example, how you intentionally skewed stats. Even Gerry V called you out on BSS. How about that statement you are to suppose to release when Gordon is no longer a Pel. Release the statement and stop hiding in Utah. That alone shows ity personal. The sad part is that you do not even attend games atthe SKC.
    I agree with a lot of this (obviously not the personal attack on MM). I do however feel, based on reading their blog, that there is a "thing" with Gordon and BSS. Maybe they asked for an interview and he brushed them off. I don't know but what I do know is that it seems to be status quo to never praise him or say a good word about him. I was shocked to read the recap of the Utah game where there was actual compassion for EG. I'm only responding because my initial post started this side bar. Those guys do great work at BSS but to deny that there is negative opinion of EG amongst their ranks is just turning a blind eye.
    Last edited by UptownFuz504; 11-23-2014 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    I agree with a lot of this (obviously not the personal attack on MM). I do however feel, based on reading their blog, that there is a "thing" with Gordon and BSS. Maybe they asked for an interview and he brushed them off. I don't know but what I do know is that it seems to be status quo to never praise him or say a good word about him. I was shocked to read the recap of the Utah game where there was actual compassion for EG. I'm only responding because my initial post started this side bar. Those guys do great work at BSS but to deny that there is negative opinion of EG amongst their ranks is just turning a blind eye.
    Most of us are very open about the fact that we think it is one of the worst contracts in the NBA and it, more than anything else, is holding this team back. But I would defy someone to find things we have written that show "personal hatred". Matching his contract was the worst thing Dell has done by a long shot, and I have even said multiple times that is on Dell, not Eric. Calling me a "Dell hater" would make more sense than calling me a "Gordon hater" because I don't blame him at all for taking the money.

I hate his contract and how it has crippled us for multiple summers. But thats on Dell. Always has been, and I have said that multiple times. I personally just don't think people read that well, and therefore assume I am saying one thing when I clearly am saying another. I hope it is clear now. But I know it will never be that easy.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Most of us are very open about the fact that we think it is one of the worst contracts in the NBA and it, more than anything else, is holding this team back. But I would defy someone to find things we have written that show "personal hatred". Matching his contract was the worst thing Dell has done by a long shot, and I have even said multiple times that is on Dell, not Eric. Calling me a "Dell hater" would make more sense than calling me a "Gordon hater" because I don't blame him at all for taking the money.

I hate his contract and how it has crippled us for multiple summers. But thats on Dell. Always has been, and I have said that multiple times. I personally just don't think people read that well, and therefore assume I am saying one thing when I clearly am saying another. I hope it is clear now. But I know it will never be that easy.
    Thank you. I've been avoiding posting in this thread because I wasn't sure how to explain my stance on Gordon. This sums it up nicely.

I pull for Gordon because any player on our team I pull for. Actually I pull harder for Gordon than any player on this team because a good year from him would be great for us. But I absolutely hate his contract and what it has/will do to our roster.

I was fine with the first two years because we weren't going anywhere anyway. This year and I fear next year his contract will be wasting 2 years of AD because of not being able to put a complete team around him when he could clearly have us in the playoffs otherwise.

It is this over every other thing that I hate most about this team. Not a player, not a coach, not an offensive or defensive scheme. One player's contract.

BTW. It's been over 24 hours and no word from the Pelicans organization about the extent of Gordon's injury. I suspect he will undergo MRI tomorrow. We will ONLY learn of results if he is scheduled for surgery. Hopefully, it is a minor subluxation without collateral damage. Also, no word on Asik injury. We definitely WILL NOT receive news about his MRI will not learn about his status until Tuesday prior to game as to go or no go. This is modern sports doublespeak.
    War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.
    George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by durun View Post
    I see personal hatred by many. For example, how you intentionally skewed stats. Even Gerry V called you out on BSS. How about that statement you are to suppose to release when Gordon is no longer a Pel. Release the statement and stop hiding in Utah. That alone shows ity personal. The sad part is that you do not even attend games atthe SKC.

i'm rereading this over and over trying to figure out exactly what's being said and still not sure. either way, i give this attempt a #meh.

i'm a big fan of MM and BSS, and listen to just about everything i can get my hands on.. in fact, walking the dog today i went back to a May (or June) 2012 episode and relived winning the lottery rights to AD. Good episode, i might add. I also have some friends in the local sports news profession, and they do take slight offense any criticism from BSS about how they handle interviews and maybe the tendency to throw softballs down the middle of the plate when interviewing dell/monty. They do bring up that BSS don't live here and don't have to face D/M afterwards,r try to wrestle access, or just have a relationship with 'em. It all makes sense, but i'll give up all the local media outlets combined before i stop listening and learning from BSS.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy View Post
    i'm rereading this over and over trying to figure out exactly what's being said and still not sure. either way, i give this attempt a #meh.

i'm a big fan of MM and BSS, and listen to just about everything i can get my hands on.. in fact, walking the dog today i went back to a May (or June) 2012 episode and relived winning the lottery rights to AD. Good episode, i might add. I also have some friends in the local sports news profession, and they do take slight offense any criticism from BSS about how they handle interviews and maybe the tendency to throw softballs down the middle of the plate when interviewing dell/monty. They do bring up that BSS don't live here and don't have to face D/M afterwards,r try to wrestle access, or just have a relationship with 'em. It all makes sense, but i'll give up all the local media outlets combined before i stop listening and learning from BSS.
    Agree with this.

I would like to see Rivers step in Gordons role instead of Babbit playing the 3 which I believe would kill our starting lineup. Babbit is good for shooting the 3 and that is absolutely it. He's a nice spark as a bench guy that can hit the 3 but if he starts in anyway we are in serious trouble. I wanted to see Rivers starting from the beginning with Gordon off the bench which I think would have benefited all. Gordon doesn't need much help to score and I think it would have benefited him to come off the bench and have the green light. Let Rivers start and play tough D while creating for others sometimes and being a spot up 3 threat.

Thread Information