Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Dell Demps' worse move

2010 he traded a first round pick for Jared Bayliss.

Quote Originally Posted by voopster View Post
    2010 he traded a first round pick for Jared Bayliss.
    Could have gotten faried, butler or parsons with that

Yep

Then he traded peja and Bayliss like one month later to Toronto for Marcus Banks, Janet Jack, and David Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by bojangles837 View Post
    Could have gotten faried, butler or parsons with that
    Guys... if everyone knew those players would have the success they're having now they wouldn't have been drafted that low. Be realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by joetzeng View Post
    Guys... if everyone knew those players would have the success they're having now they wouldn't have been drafted that low. Be realistic.
    No

Quote Originally Posted by joetzeng View Post
    I know. Where is the "We could have drafted Nolan Smith" possibility? People are so brilliant with hindsight, but what if it was Nolan Smith? I would say Jack did more for us than Nolan Smith would have.

Ah, hindsight.
    @mcnamara247

There's nothing false about my statement.

Quote Originally Posted by bojangles837 View Post
    There's nothing false about my statement.
    Maybe you can work as a scout for Dell, we could use you to find some 2nd round gems.

I'm assuming this would be the 19th pick we're talking about. Faried was 22. He could have been 1st on our list. Who knows. We COULD have drafted him

It's the Gordon situation. Not only is it hurting the team now. It was such a low percentage move when it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    Vasquez and Lopez for Reke = demps getting raped?? U can't be serious. Lol..I mean my lord I'm not the biggest REKE fan myself but this statement is ludacrious. Matching Gordon's Max contract is his worse move and it's not even close. He has this team on the right track. We are a year or 2 away from being a serious championship contender. Who in the world has ever said the holiday trade was one of his worse moves to date?? That's another ludacrious statement who ever said it or thinks that. Have u seen Noel play?? Yea I'm good. Holiday>mcw by a long shot.
    Vasquez last season with the Pelicans averaged 13.9ppg, 9 apg, 4.3 rebs. Tyreke averaged 15.2 ppg, 3.5 apg, 4.4 rpg that season. Trading Vasquez AND Lopez to pay Tyreke $4 million more than both of them are making combined. I would say Demps got worked over pretty bad in that deal.

The Gordon deal at least at the time made sense. That Tyreke deal made absolutely no sense. We already had $25 million committed to our back court. Not only did the Tyreke deal not fill any hole but it created other holes and killed our flexibility.

The Holiday deal was criticized by a lot of people who thought giving up two 1sts was too much. I liked the deal personally.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    Vasquez last season with the Pelicans averaged 13.9ppg, 9 apg, 4.3 rebs. Tyreke averaged 15.2 ppg, 3.5 apg, 4.4 rpg that season. Trading Vasquez AND Lopez to pay Tyreke $4 million more than both of them are making combined. I would say Demps got worked over pretty bad in that deal.

The Gordon deal at least at the time made sense. That Tyreke deal made absolutely no sense. We already had $25 million committed to our back court. Not only did the Tyreke deal not fill any hole but it created other holes and killed our flexibility.

The Holiday deal was criticized by a lot of people who thought giving up two 1sts was too much. I liked the deal personally.
    Vasquez is a terrible defender and Lopez is average defensively. Vasquez is not an efficient offensive player either. He was never going to be more valuable than that off-season.

I personally wanted to keep Lopez to have someone to go against big bodies as Davis gained more weight for at least one more year, but unfortunately the team didn't have the cap space to keep him. But at this point, Asik is a better player.

Getting Jrue for the 2 1st rounders is an A move if you ask me. 1st rounders are such a gamble that getting an all star caliber PG like Jrue is something you do 10 out of 10 times. A lot of people don't realize the impact Jrue has on this team. He is a top 3 defensive PG with elite size. He isn't even in his prime yet and continuing to become a better player. Getting a PG of his caliber is not somethhing you pass on over 2 1st rnd picks that are most likely not going to pan out near what he is. Just one argument I think is ridiculous when we got a great player who is an all star caliber player a few years away from his prime. Another stupid one is Asik being a bad trade giving up a 1st. Hell he is better than any center drafted in the past 2 drafts! Noel and Embid will be lucky to become the player he is and we got him for a late 1st? That is a steal of you ask me. Asik is the closest thing to Noah and with a player like Davis only a few guys I would rather pair next to him.

The Gordon deal was not as bad at the time because of the situation Dell was put in. He was the main asset in return for our franchise and one of the best players in the NBA. Dell basically had no choice other than to match that contract. CP3 would have basically been traded for nothing if he lets Gordon walk. If no injuries had occurred that contract is nowhere near criticized what it is now. Dell couldn't predict the future and it ended up being what nobody could have predicted. I'm sure at the time Dell figured lock him up and if things go wrong with the fit we could easily dump him on a team in need of a young scoring guard. In my opinion he did what he had to do and matched the Suns offer. Easy to say it was a bad idea now but at the time he really had no choice. If it wasn't for injuries no telling how Gordon would be and what we could have gotten in return on a trade. Just not fair to grade him on that if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    The Gordon deal was not as bad at the time because of the situation Dell was put in. He was the main asset in return for our franchise and one of the best players in the NBA. Dell basically had no choice other than to match that contract. CP3 would have basically been traded for nothing if he lets Gordon walk. If no injuries had occurred that contract is nowhere near criticized what it is now. Dell couldn't predict the future and it ended up being what nobody could have predicted. I'm sure at the time Dell figured lock him up and if things go wrong with the fit we could easily dump him on a team in need of a young scoring guard. In my opinion he did what he had to do and matched the Suns offer. Easy to say it was a bad idea now but at the time he really had no choice. If it wasn't for injuries no telling how Gordon would be and what we could have gotten in return on a trade. Just not fair to grade him on that if you ask me.
    CP3 was traded for ANTHONY DAVIS.

Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    CP3 was traded for ANTHONY DAVIS.
    Net winnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Not signing Lebron

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Yes, Dell could have drafted
    Nicholson
    Henson
    Jones

instead of Rivers. But why would he draft ANOTHER PF when he just drafted The Unibrow?

Also, why would he draft a SF in that draft? Didn't we still have Ariza at the time? (or am I wrong about that part?)

Dell resigning Gordon wasn't terrible at time. It wasn't great, but he couldn't lose the entire fan base by letting our big fish (at the time) walk for absolutely nothing. If he had, Rivers would have started (and failed even more miserably) his entire rookie season. Dell was put in a terrible situation.

In my opinion, the worst move he made roster wise was Greg Steimsma, now it seems bordering on John Salmons.
    Money wise it was Gordon. (with hindsight)

They say hindsight's 20-20, but I'm nearly goin' blind - Randy Travis

Quote Originally Posted by bradael View Post
    Vasquez is a terrible defender and Lopez is average defensively. Vasquez is not an efficient offensive player either. He was never going to be more valuable than that off-season.

I personally wanted to keep Lopez to have someone to go against big bodies as Davis gained more weight for at least one more year, but unfortunately the team didn't have the cap space to keep him. But at this point, Asik is a better player.
    Vasquez value was at an all time high and the best you come out with is Evans? I don't see how an argument can be made value wise that trading for Evans was the right thing to do. The trade killed our depth and ability to add depth, tyreke just isn't the player you kill your depth for.

How can you mention terrible defenders without mentioning Tyreke? He is horrid on defense, his off ball defense is on Harden levels. He constantly loses his man, giving up backdoor cuts and open 3s. He gives no effort on rotations, he does that swipe at the ball thing instead of putting his body in the way. Like harden, his on ball defense is okay when he is engaged but like harden he is rarely engaged. The only positives he has on the defensive side is his ability to play passing lanes (at times) and his rebounding.
    Last edited by HoustonPelicans; 11-24-2014 at 10:24 AM.

I have to say that the thought of Noel and Davis playing together in our frontcourt had me tantalized the night of the draft. Then I heard about the Holiday trade. My thought was "Ok. PG against an athletic 6-11 C who yes is coming off an injury."..But to my defense, I wouldn't have taken Rivers either. Just for my own sake and how I think. I'm more of a "build up front type" person. In my case I would have taken Plumlee after trading the 10th pick to move down. If I could have acquired a 2nd rounder that year, I would have spent it on a true SG and probably Miller.That gives you the size you want (7-0 265 with a 40" vert) to combine with AD and let them grow together. Then let Gordon go and sign a SG that doesn't have an injury report longer than most people's arms. That gives you 2 SG's , Aminu (who I would have kept for defensive purposes) and Miller, AD and Plumlee. Throw in the Jrue trade and your team looks alot different.
    But that's just the way I see it.

...we get to go McDonalds
    Where to start?

Gordon had to be matched. Not for basketball reasons, but for PR reasons. He was the center piece of the Chris Paul trade and the X factor in getting that deal done. He was the one the Clippers did not want to let go of. That said, no question that's the worst move of Dell's career. As Michael pointed out, the GM has to be able to tune out the noise and make the right decision. Easier said than done because he would have gotten railed over the coals. But a GM has to do what he has to do and ownership needs to make it perfectly clear that a GM has full rights to make any deal he sees fit and will have time to see the deal play out over at least the next couple of years.

The absolute worst move Dell ever made was the non-trade to the Lakers. That deal was so awful that the league had to step in and say "uh, are you nuts? we can't let this deal go through or it'll look like we're helping the bigger franchises". That deal was just so awful that the second it was agreed upon, he should have been fired right then and there. Which is exactly the opposite of "a GM should have full rights to make any deal..." --- and that's why things aren't easy. If it was easy, anyone could do it.

Doing things for PR reasons or not to immediately displease fans is just a terrible reason to do anything, but I know it happens. But here, you had the perfect out. You had the Franchise Savior coming in that summer in AD and Rivers was a big name too. Those were the guys that the PR machine would hype up - not some guy who played 9 games the year before.

I think Dell learned a lesson from this trade and now probably understands sunk cost and the harm of optimism. I don't think he would make this mistake again. But it has held this franchise back considerably and I still think it has the potential to be the move that, by way of proxy, gets him fired. It was (and is) that bad.

For all using hindsight about matching Gordon, they initially tried to sign him for less, then let him prove his worth on the open market. At that time he had still shown flashes of being an elite player, which is why Phoenix threw out the max. There was injury concern, but no one saw this regression coming. From a player that would attack anyone to the very timid version here now. It has to be more mental because I'm certain both staffs, Phx and Nop knew more about his injuries at that time than any fan.

You also have to know that up until very recently, this franchise was not a desirable place to be.

Given that context his worst signings have been on the depth end.

There is no "hindsight" on the matching Gordon. About 20% of people were passionately against matching him. And the logic was always crystal clear. It was very easy to see this coming. If you drop an egg 5 times off the roof and it breaks 4 times, it would be logical to think that the egg will break a large percentage of the time the next 4 times you drop it. It would be illogical to think that the eggs "Can overcome their tendency to break" and stay healthy over the next 4 falls.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    I didn't even know his injury history preceded being in NOLA until I went back and found this article.

http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/20...njury-history/

My bad. I thought he had only missed a handful until being traded to NOLA.

Thread Information