Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Dell Demps' worse move

2012 was supposed to be a deep draft?
    http://www.nbadraft.net/2012-actual-draft
    This link will show you how 'deep' that draft was, how many players would you prefer over Rivers now?
    It always amazes me that some of the fans always assume that lottery picks=starters/stars.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Rivers is a player that has grown from all time bad to a player with average shooting, below average FT shooting, below averag court vision for his position and maybe slightly over average slashing ability. IE a 7 th or 8th man who ceiling is probably an above average 6th man.

The question with rivers though is whether the selection at 10 was better then the alternatives? I would say that has turned out to be no. There were a number of alternatives at ten that would be better for this roster and going forward.

The 2012 draft was deep with talent. It was supposed to be the draft we got two starters for the future out of the CP3 trade. The fact we came out with a above average but undersized 7th man with lingering flaws that likely won't ever fully go away at number 10 is a net loss for us.

Quote Originally Posted by joetzeng View Post
    This link will show you how 'deep' that draft was, how many players would you prefer over Rivers now?
    It always amazes me that some of the fans always assume that lottery picks=starters/stars.
    Man looking at that draft what happened to Fab Melo, dude was supposed to be a top prospect at Syracuse.

It's interesting, that draft you had AD, Lillard, Drummond, Draymond Green, Waiters, Ross, and a bunch of also-rans.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by joetzeng View Post
    Henson, Jones, Sullinger, Plumlee and Green are all players I would of taken over Rivers. You can make a case for a few others as well.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 11-22-2014 at 03:34 PM.

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Henson, Jones, Sullinger, Plumlee and Green are all players I would of taken over Rivers. You can make a case for a few others as well.
    OK but like Mac said, those are all role player types, some of whom may be slightly better overall depending on person to person opinion but not like OMG we missed out on a sure-fire star that everyone and their mama knew would be a sure fire star!! Not to mention 3 maybe 4 of the 5 fit roles that were already occupied by AD and Ryno.

Pistons picked Drummond one spot ahead of us. I'm willing to bet the house that Dell would've taken Drummond instead. .

Quote Originally Posted by SaintPelican225 View Post
    Pistons picked Drummond one spot ahead of us. I'm willing to bet the house that Dell would've taken Drummond instead. .
    He would have. Once Barnes went off the board, the top 3 left on his list were:

1. Drummond
    2. Rivers
    3. (Gulp) Meyers Leonard

Per a good source
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    I'm certainly no Gordon lover, but I don't feel that matching the Phoenix offer should realistically be labeled a mistake.... an error in judgement as to his eventual worth perhaps, but I feel a whole lot of people would have missed on that one initially (including this person and the ex-commissioner among others).... now lets fast forward a bit, and I will suggest that the Evan's signing might well have been done with the intent of moving Gordon being a major component of the "master plan". I will also suggest that, unfortunately, this is where the "true" Gordon worth was now recognized by virtually everyone and Demps was then unable to complete his plan as visualized (and probably not anywhere close to it). Now this is strictly my theory on how things might have gone down and I can't substantiate anything in any way... but in sticking with this premise, and based on the assumption that there actually was some interest for Gordon's services, I would just love to know what kind of offers were proposed.... heck, there might even be some other "mistakes" imbedded in there somewhere....
    I disagree with this rationale. Here's why:

He has a job that only 30 people in the world have. You can't use the 'most other people would have made the same mistake' card in that situation. He is supposed to be different than "us" skill and ability wise. That's what he gets paid for. That's why he has one of only 30 jobs in the world.

And its not after the fact second guessing. At BSS, we had 4+ hours of podcasts begging Demps not to match. We had articles. It was clear as day to me and several others. The only justification for matching was optimism bias. You would have wanted to believe that he could be healthy for those four years, but literally not one piece of evidence supported that as a logical conclusion. As I said back then - "If a guy has been healthy three of the last 4 years, you would call me nuts if I assumed he was going to get hurt next year. So, why is the opposite not considered nuts?"

Bottom line - Dell can't get a pass because a lot of others are optimists too. He has to be above that. He gets an F for that decision. No excuses.

Since this is the most responded in thread I'll ask here instead of starting a new thread. Is the game being broadcast on TV tonight???

I just went to set my dvr on FOx Sports and it isn't there.

I see nothing wrong with the Jrue move. MCW sucks, dude has the greenest light to do whatever he wants on the worst team and still isn't impressive. After the horrible seasons, the rebrand, and Benson taking over it made sense to go for the win now move

Gordon was his biggest mistake, but to be real not many GMs would let Gordon walk for free. The guy showed the ability to be a top 5 SG in the league and was the main piece of the CP3 trade
    Last edited by speedyG; 11-22-2014 at 06:30 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    I am willing to bet Demps regrets Gordon and he's concerned about Reke....

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    He's concerned about Reke's contract? Wut? That is up there with the Ryno deal for how good it is.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    The universe couldn't handle 15+ years of Davis and Drummond. We'd lead the league in rebounding on both ends of the floor.

Heck, we would have no hole at the SF spot if he hadn't chose Austin Rivers over
    Terrance Jones
    Moe Harkless
    Draymond Greene
    Evan Fournier
    and Kris Middleton

Stealth Mode: Active Lurkaholic's Avatar
    Gordon. No contest.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    But at least Gordon fits. Teammates have to give up so much of their games in order for Tyreke to be sort of effective. And we all understand why Demps had to match EG. The worse part about the Reke deal is what he gave up to acquire him. Demps got raped, Vasquez and Lopez for Reke. That deal created more holes
    Vasquez and Lopez for Reke = demps getting raped?? U can't be serious. Lol..I mean my lord I'm not the biggest REKE fan myself but this statement is ludacrious. Matching Gordon's Max contract is his worse move and it's not even close. He has this team on the right track. We are a year or 2 away from being a serious championship contender. Who in the world has ever said the holiday trade was one of his worse moves to date?? That's another ludacrious statement who ever said it or thinks that. Have u seen Noel play?? Yea I'm good. Holiday>mcw by a long shot.
    Last edited by kclaboy504; 11-23-2014 at 12:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    Do u even know the details of Rekes contract?? Don't think u do or U wouldn't say that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans_fan_504 View Post
    Man looking at that draft what happened to Fab Melo, dude was supposed to be a top prospect at Syracuse.
    Flopped but dam imagine if we would've took perry jones 3. Good lord he looks to have developed nicely over the last couple years. Having the benefit of taking it slow and learning behind durant. He is a durant clone size wise. He is very skilled. He was at 1 point projected to be top 5 on the draft. He's a legit SF at 6'11. Good lord him and ad on floor at the 3 and 4 with asik?? Game over,

at the time we couldnt let gordon walk. we had no idea we were going to get lucky in the lottery and it was damage control
    yeah, yal like jrue over mcw

tony wroten would have been a much better pick than Rivers too---dont lie

Who the heck would want MCW? I sure as hell wouldn't

Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post
    at the time we couldnt let gordon walk. we had no idea we were going to get lucky in the lottery and it was damage control

Actually, we already had AD when we matched Gordon, but I am glad you bring this up because people say this a lot and it is false. So its a good reminder

Id take Terrance Jones instead of Rivers and kept Noel too.

Noel
    Davis
    Jones

would have eventually jelled while all on rookie deals.

so no asik trade; hence

Heck, we would have no hole at the SF spot if he hadn't chose Austin Rivers over
    Terrance Jones
    Moe Harkless
    Draymond Greene
    Evan Fournier
    and Kris Middleton
    Both Middleton and Green were second round picks, yeah Dell missed them, so did 27 other teams.
    Harkless and Fournier have barely done anything in the NBA.
    Only real upgrade would probably Jones, but even we drafted him I doubt he'd be the reason whether we win a championship or not.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Actually, we already had AD when we matched Gordon, but I am glad you bring this up because people say this a lot and it is false. So its a good reminder
    Still remember you and Ryan on the pod praying we dont match that contract few years back... wouldve been nice if we took the sign&trade deal from HOU/PHX. Matching EG is by far Dell's worst move imo.

Tony wroten?? I'm sure u were saying this back when it was draft time too?? Lol..

Thread Information