Pelicans Report

Thread: Roster Problem!!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar

Roster Problem!!

In my opinion this team has too many players that really cannot or will not help us win games.

I can think of at least 5 players who probably wouldn't draw a speck of interest from other teams in this league. We have guys who are VERY unlikely to help us win much at all this season. These guys could very well be UFAs or in the D league or playing euroball.
    Here's my list of players that I'm referring to:

1. Darius Miller
    2. Babbitt
    3. Jimmer
    4. Rivers
    5. Salmons
    6. Russ Smith
    7. Patric Young
    8. Whithey

Now, I'm not saying that Smith and Young won't develop and contribute or that Whithey can't be on an nba roster but we have 8 guys and we're not getting too much from them and we won't accomplish a lot with 8 guys that don't contribute hardly at all!!!!!!!!

We knew this going into the season. Our cap was not set up in a way where we could get Asik AND add enough depth to fill out our team.

We are top heavy for a reason and this isn't a final roster by any means. This has been known since summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    We knew this going into the season. Our cap was not set up in a way where we could get Asik AND add enough depth to fill out our team.

We are top heavy for a reason and this isn't a final roster by any means. This has been known since summer.
    Mythrol, I know this but I mean if you had low expectations for them then I'm sure by now you've lowered them even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post

This. We're going to continue to have depth issues until we get out from under the Gordon contract. And that's why those who deem Butler a dream signing are missing the bigger picture. The last thing we need is another top heavy contract. Instead our team would be much better served distributing Gordon's salary amongst two to three secondary contributors.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    This. We're going to continue to have depth issues until we get out from under the Gordon contract. And that's why those who deem Butler a dream signing are missing the bigger picture. The last thing we need is another top heavy contract. Instead our team would be much better served distributing Gordon's salary amongst two to three secondary contributors.
    I agree with this. We need depth and if we got 15mil to spend I would add experienced veterans to come off the bench. It would really make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    I am starting to agre with this. I think Gordon is playing better then many are giving him credit for but unless Trevor Ariza is walking back through that door at 8 million a year, I would take your argument and run with it. Despite my feelings of not being so cynical about Gordons play this season, he isn't doing anything incredible or irreplaceable by a player at 30% of his salary. And we have shown that when playing smart basketball our roster - with gordon having such a small scoring role - we are able to keep pace with every team in the league. I would rather spend some of the Gordon money on a solid, young SF and then spend the rest on filling out the roster. A legit back up PG, SG and SF. PG being the number one priority. I would be OK retaining Rivers but only for the SG position.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    In my opinion this team has too many players that really cannot or will not help us win games.
    This is called a bad bench.

This offseason, we got rid of:

Smith
    Morrow
    Aminu
    Roberts

For all their flaws, every one of those guys is a rotation player. We added:

Asik
    Jimmer
    Salmons
    Russ
    Young

Of those additions, Asik is the only one who is a part of Monty's rotation.

When you lose 4 rotation guys and bring in 1, you sacrifice depth. The problem is, when Asik is injured, we are a worse version of last year's roster. We all knew that health would be critical to our playoff chances, and we're being reminded of why. When you can only count on 7 guys, any injury is problematic.

Banned
    I can't call Jimmer bad until he gets regular pull like he is a part of the team. Coach, plays him (if he does) like the world might explode if he does something wrong. Either play him or deactivate him. The whole insurance policy thing is insulting. I think even Jimmer haters are like man give the guy a minute or two.

I mean can we at least try and let the rookies play? Why are we assuming that they are pure garbage when they never had a chance to play? Especially Patric Young.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    I mean can we at least try and let the rookies play? Why are we assuming that they are pure garbage when they never had a chance to play? Especially Patric Young.
    I am pretty sure they play against the guys that we think stink in practice every day. And though we can't know for sure, logic says that they probably get destroyed by those guys. So...
    @mcnamara247

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I am pretty sure they play against the guys that we think stink in practice every day. And though we can't know for sure, logic says that they probably get destroyed by those guys. So...
    I hope coach doesn't use that logic, because they don't play against their own team everyday in games. It is different.

Quote Originally Posted by Asteptooslow View Post
    I hope coach doesn't use that logic, because they don't play against their own team everyday in games. It is different.
    So, if you saw Guy A playing much better than Guy B every day in practice, you would just go "Fudge it. Let's throw Guy B out there, because ya never know!"

I see a lot of logic on this board being the equivalent of "It can't be worse." Actually, yes it can.

All-Star
    So, if you saw Guy A playing much better than Guy B every day in practice, you would just go "Fudge it. Let's throw Guy B out there, because ya never know!"

I see a lot of logic on this board being the equivalent of "It can't be worse." Actually, yes it can.
    Salmons must be great in practice.....

Banned
    No...what I'm saying is that the first unit is better. But, other teams don't play against our guys everyday and know everything about what they can do. In practice the starters have an inherent advantage. Against another team they don't have the second units weaknesses engrained in them.

I think after a certain point you have to see more of what they can do in a real game. We can only make our bench so short and if another guy gets hurt...we will need to give someone those minutes. I think that PG is our biggest weakness on the team.

Roster Problem!!

Shooting and sharing the ball with confidence is our biggest problem but lack of depth is going to be a big issue and might be the main thing that holds us back from competing with the best.
    Last edited by pelicanchamp; 11-22-2014 at 10:38 AM. Reason: f

Quote Originally Posted by Npliam View Post
    Salmons must be great in practice.....
    Or, more likely, everyone else is even worse. Which is a scary thought.

But people can't have it both ways. They can't acknowledge that Monty is on the hot seat and desperate to win, and then have some grand conspiracy theory about him not playing the best guys.

Choose one or the other.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Rivers is good as the first guard off the bench. I also think Ajinca is a good option as backup center. But I agree that after the 7th or 8th roster spot there is considerable drop off. I guess they are hoping Babbitt can step up... But yeah the team is missing at least 1 solid wing to come off the bench. I don't believe that Miller, Salmons, Withey get any minutes on a team with good depth.

Banned
    He just needs to be more flexible. Spot guys so they can spread out our good players over the game. Our bench though is one of the worst in the league.

Banned
    Other than Anderson...what is the most a bench player has scored?

Quote Originally Posted by Asteptooslow View Post
    Other than Anderson...what is the most a bench player has scored?
    This is the main problem, when Anderson is off, then our tram pretty much lose. Also not having any post players on this team is bad. That decreases our efficiency rate especially for the bench. So there goes Ryno firing away those fadaway bail out shots.

Banned
    I think we should use our guards in the post more.

Nah I bet Monty has never seen them play and has no basis for any of the decisions he makes

Thread Information