Pelicans Report

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Game Day Thread - Pelicans vs Nuggets

I more upset with seeing that ajinca, Babbitt, rivers, Anderson lineup again. I just hate it and it seems it's one of our worst lineups. Add in salmons and it's unwatchable.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    We played badly. No coach wins with how out players played tonight and how well the other team played. You lose some games. There are takeaways, but this one didn't feel like some monumental collapse, or some giant problem that must be immediately changed. We need to win against the bad teams even when they play well if you want to make the playoffs though. On to the next game.
    On to the next WIN!!! Why? Because we have to win. We need to adjust and grow. If we don't, then it IS on the coach!

Also, I'm slowing starting to not enjoy Ryan Anderson's game with the second unit. Total hero ball. When he plays with the starters minus asik he fits in. Second unit he stops the basketball like Jason smith used to. When he touches the ball a shot is going up no matter what. I hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Inner_GI View Post
    Also, I'm slowing starting to not enjoy Ryan Anderson's game with the second unit. Total hero ball. When he plays with the starters minus asik he fits in. Second unit he stops the basketball like Jason smith used to. When he touches the ball a shot is going up no matter what. I hate it.
    Anderson will not perform this way too much this season. He was awesome against Sac

I more upset with seeing that ajinca, Babbitt, rivers, Anderson lineup again. I just hate it and it seems it's one of our worst lineups. Add in salmons and it's unwatchable.
    They all need to play with at least one starter. I like Rivers, Davis, Jrue, Anderson, Gordon

I for one am surprised by how bad Ryno shot tonight. You would think that after a few times watching him miss you might pair him up with another shooter to eliviate the pressure of shooting the ball.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

we are 1-2 on a roadtrip we should of gone 3-1 #playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    We played badly. No coach wins with how out players played tonight and how well the other team played. You lose some games. There are takeaways, but this one didn't feel like some monumental collapse, or some giant problem that must be immediately changed. We need to win against the bad teams even when they play well if you want to make the playoffs though. On to the next game.
    We have played 1 good game all season.

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    Wow...

Ill say it again, I will bite my tongue a few more games but the evidence is mounting that Monty just does not "get it."

When everything isn't going ideal: No classic big center to start, original gameplan falls apart and rotations as he game-planed them aren't working - he falls apart. We are over ten games into the season and he still has done nothing to fix the rotations at the end of the third and going into the fourth. That span of 5-7 minutes kills us every game and Monty has done NOTHING to address it. We literally lucked out against the Kings playing mostly poor basketball down the stretch again.

I honestly completely regret the bandwagon I jumped on for him a few games ago. ITs like I completely forgot all the things he struggles with and is emerging to have carried over once again.

I was disgusted to see us go down by almost twenty before he put any starter back in. Yes it is a back to back at high altitude and you are down a player, so maybe you spread out your staters a little better? I don't know, maybe bring Tyreke or Gordon out a littler earlier in the first and third and let at least one starter play the whole game.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 11-22-2014 at 12:33 AM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    Which one was that?

Good. People are finally coming around to this observation. It's been this way for two seasons really. He was given a pass last year since our roster was crippled by injuries, so his playing style was deemed necessary. This year, he's been doing exactly the same thing. If he gets the ball, odds are he's going up for a shot. Ryno needs to improve his shot selection and he needs to understand that shooting isn't the only option. In that respect, I see a lot in Ryno's game that I hated in Jason Smith's game.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    Good. People are finally coming around to this observation. It's been this way for two seasons really. He was given a pass last year since our roster was crippled by injuries, so his playing style was deemed necessary. This year, he's been doing exactly the same thing. If he gets the ball, odds are he's going up for a shot. Ryno needs to improve his shot selection and he needs to understand that shooting isn't the only option. In that respect, I see a lot in Ryno's game that I hated in Jason Smith's game.
    Yep. Teams are starting to see that too. When Ryno gets the ball teams basically know to play him as if he is going to take a shot. He needs to be told that has to start passing out of certain situations. These Jordan fadeaways with two defenders on him early in the shot clock are doing this team no favors.

Y'all this isn't rocket science. If the team plays the whole season like this with a .500 record Monty will get fired.
    We will run out of excuses eventually. If the players don't get more chemistry and perform well consistently as a team as time goes by then it IS on Coach Williams. You can irrationally defend the coach all day but the argument for getting rid of Monty is going to get stronger if this doesn't improve and remain consistent. I know firing the coach isn't going to fix everything but eventually you need to do something.

I also just want to say that Rivers is pretty much useless if his shots aren't falling and he isn't getting to the line.

Monty has gave him the green light to play like a ball dominant SG and if you aren't Ryan Anderson or a last second dump-off guy near the hoop you are basically invisible to Rivers.

He still has no concept of running a offense and getting others involved to help yourself. I think our second unit is in desperate need of a legitimate PG. Or someone willing to distribute. That is why I continue to preach that Gordon or Evans needs to be in the lineup with the second unit and given the role of running the offense.

His play reminds me a lot of the ******* style he played at Duke, where he ignored his teammates to the teams detriment and only to his benefit and everyone was flabbergasted at how much better the team played when he was gone.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 11-22-2014 at 12:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    I also just want to say that Rivers is pretty much useless if his shots aren't falling and he isn't getting to the line.

Monty has gave him the green light to play like a ball dominant SG and if you aren't Ryan Anderson or a last second dump-off guy near the hoop you are basically invisible to Rivers.

He still has no concept of running a offense and getting others involved to help yourself. I think our second unit is in desperate need of a legitimate PG. Or someone willing to distribute. That is why I continue to preach that Gordon or Evans needs to be in the lineup with the second unit and given the role of running the offense.
    You know what would be great? If we somehow got a veteran backup PG and a good SF. If we ever free up space re EJ contract we could really stabilize this roster with players who are well rounded and experienced.

Makes you wonder what might have been with Rivers had we left him at his natural Sg position as opposed to forcing him into playing pg, and then realizing he wasn't very good at that. Let him take those lumps at the two as opposed to forcing him into the one. At the end of the day, water under the bridge, let him go be some other coaches reclamation project.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Makes you wonder what might have been with Rivers had we left him at his natural Sg position as opposed to forcing him into playing pg, and then realizing he wasn't very good at that. Let him take those lumps at the two as opposed to forcing him into the one. At the end of the day, water under the bridge, let him go be some other coaches reclamation project.
    I am of two minds. He is being told to play like a SG per Monty and I have always said I thought that was a mistake. Then again he has grown to show value as an attacker and to a lesser extent a shooter. So I think that is his long-term natural position. Though he has also shown that when pushed he can be an adequate but not spectacular facilitator. But is score first guard - the position Monty has given him the green light to play - the position we should look for him to play on this roster? I am not so sure.

Our second unit needs a facilitator, not a ball dominant scorer running the offense. Our bench is chalk full of jump shooters: Ryan Anderson, Jimmer Fredette, John Salmons, Luke Babbitt and even Ajinca and Withey have decent jump shots. Having a guy running the offense that is looking to score and has tunnel vision negates the strength of our bench. Our bench more often then not becomes a bunch of guys standing around watching Rivers try and attack the defense. Ryno being the only exception who gets a lot of isolation passes that lead to tough shots. And if we don't have a true facilitator to run the second unit then having a smarter basketball player like Evans or Gordon run with the second unit for a lot of the time makes the most sense.

It's frustrating observations like this that are souring me on Monty. It is similar to Roberts last year, in his trust for one player he is hurting everyone around that player.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 11-22-2014 at 01:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetstime247 View Post
    This team once again is underachieving.. I'm sick and tired of Monty.. Please please hire George Karl!

On another note.. Nba finals will be Dallas vs Toronto... IMO they are far and way the best teams in their respective conferences.
    I think NBA finals will be Clippers and Cavaliers or Warriors and Cavaliers.

Quote Originally Posted by ItIsRynosTime View Post
    I think NBA finals will be Clippers and Cavaliers or Warriors and Cavaliers.
    FINALS will be SPURS vs CAVS

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    FINALS will be SPURS vs CAVS
    Dallas will be in the finals.

Quote Originally Posted by Npliam View Post
    Dallas will be in the finals.
    Predicting who will be in the finals this early in the season is like predicting if it will rain a month from tomorrow. With that said, Dallas is probably the 5th best team in the west behind San Antonio, Memphis, LAC and GSW. I'd be very surprised if Dallas makes it to the finals.

That was painful to watch, the effort was all around weak. I ended up turning it off half way through the 4th quarter to watch a BBC documentary about castles, which I found very similar to the game because they both highlighted various bricks.
    www.flexicarry.com

Twitter: @brian_oleen

Quote Originally Posted by Big-O View Post
    That was painful to watch, the effort was all around weak. I ended up turning it off half way through the 4th quarter to watch a BBC documentary about castles, which I found very similar to the game because they both highlighted various bricks.
    You can just go ahead and win the month.

Quote Originally Posted by Big-O View Post
    Hahahaha this made my morning, what a horrendous loss, I just checked the box score after giving up on Monty's bs rotations last night. What a sick joke. By the way things look this team is another 2 years away from a playoff lock and another 4-5 to
    Contend IF Dell or whoever is out GM at that time puts the right pieces around AD. Other than that, we are a mediocre .500 team with loads of talent and no way to utilize it all bc Monty is outright clueless, outright CLUELESS!

Thread Information