Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How Davis stacks up against other great big men in their 3rd NBA season

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar

How Davis stacks up against other great big men in their 3rd NBA season

My Norse god thats amazing.....For some reason though I feel Dwight shouldn't even be up there idk why

You include fouls and turnovers and he has no peer. And while those things don't excite people, to me, not making a bad play is almost as good as making a good play. That is what impresses me the most about him. At 21, guys make so many dumb plays. But not Davis.

I wish I could have a sneak peak at what he will be like when he is 24 or 25. It might not be fair.
    @mcnamara247

and to think people compared him to Marcus Camby Marcus effin Camby

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    You include fouls and turnovers and he has no peer. And while those things don't excite people, to me, not making a bad play is almost as good as making a good play. That is what impresses me the most about him. At 21, guys make so many dumb plays. But not Davis.

I wish I could have a sneak peak at what he will be like when he is 24 or 25. It might not be fair.
    And spoil the fun, come on . But I agree Davis at 24 scares me! And I root for the guy imagine how coaches must feel.

Quote Originally Posted by isitsunday View Post
    My Norse god thats amazing.....For some reason though I feel Dwight shouldn't even be up there idk why
    You're right. He is not "prolific"

To me this is by far our greatest strength as a team thus far (the turnovers). We're currently best in the league at 10.9 turnovers per game. And that's with 1-2 gordon/reke charges per game. Great teams take care of the ball. That mark, if we kept it up over the course of a season, would be the best TOV rate in the past 5 years.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    and to think people compared him to Marcus Camby Marcus effin Camby
    I don't want to diss Camby, he was a good player for a long time in this league, but I always hated that comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    I don't want to diss Camby, he was a good player for a long time in this league, but I always hated that comparison.
    I said Hakeem and David Robinson from Day 1, and now I am feeling like I might have undersold him. Crazy.

Considering how really nearly every one of those had had 2+ years of college to build his body up and polish his skill as well...crazy.

I think I said his game would look like bosh + chandler, I still sorta like the comparison for what he is now, but in 3 years. He's going to be something difficult to imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    Considering how really nearly every one of those had had 2+ years of college to build his body up and polish his skill as well...crazy.
    DR and that Navy commitment.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Why are they comparing him with a bunch of centers and Tim Duncan? Why not include more 4's? It is flattering that he is being compared to so many great centers, but he isn't a center.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Why are they comparing him with a bunch of centers and Tim Duncan? Why not include more 4's? It is flattering that he is being compared to so many great centers, but he isn't a center.
    And yet he puts up center numbers thats the problem they don't really know where to put the guy and thats why everyone has such a difficult time comparing him to someone else

And yet he puts up center numbers thats the problem they don't really know where to put the guy and thats why everyone has such a difficult time comparing him to someone else
    I wonder if a 4-man has ever been top-5 in rebounds and blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Because 4's don't normally block shots like this, and that is a huge component of his stat line

AD and DMC will be the 2 best big men in the NBA the next 5-10 year.

Because 4's don't normally block shots like this, and that is a huge component of his stat line
    True, and I guess that's why they put him among bigs and not just pf's. I wonder how his stats stack up against Wilt and Kareem, and Bill.

As for the story these numbers are pulled from, that opening but about his aunt made me think of Bill Murray in Zombiand.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueJay View Post
    AD and DMC will be the 2 best big men in the NBA the next 5-10 year.
    I agree, but to me this will be the equivalent of saying that Jordan and Reggie Miller were the two best shooting guards in the 90's.

Who will be AD's biggest rivals during his career? Alex Len could be becoming a force:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJWQBtwKaks

My guess is that his big rival is either Blake Griffin or isn't in the league yet

It's nothing I'm particularly concerned about, I just wonder if we will ever be able to put Davis 1 on 1, on the low block, defending a guy like Cousins, Al Jefferson or someone like Okafor at Duke now. How good is he in the low-post iso on D now? I know with Asik on the team its not something that he gets too may shots at per game, but I don't see AD as a lockdown low post defender yet. Fortunately he's so good at everything else, it really won't ever matter.

Why do we have to try to compare AD to someone else? To me he's unique, at least I don't remember anybody with his length, skill set, and versatility, or have never heard of. He's Anthony Davis. What he does and can in the future do has never been put together by any other player. That's the way I see him. Can't compare him to any other player the way I see it.

Iirc, at that point, Howard was able to generate an above average team defense with nothing but awful defensive teammates. Before the injury, his defense alone would be a decent argument for putting him on the All-NBA team first team.

Thread Information