Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Some Salary Cap #'s

Some Salary Cap #'s

So I wanted to look into our salary cap situation for next year.

We were on the books for 58.6 million next year, then upon not picking up austin rivers' option, dropped us down to 55.3 million. The estimated salary cap for next year is between 63-66 million.

This gives us roughly 10 million in free agency to spend. All this would really allow us to do is resign Asik.

OR if we were to use the stretch provision on eric gordon it would free up another 7.75 million by cutting his 15.5 million in half. Now we are only on the books for 47.55 million. Now we would have 18-19 million to play with.

Give Omer Asik and draymond green both 9 million dollar contracts.

Who's with me?
    Last edited by HornetGuru; 11-20-2014 at 04:47 PM.

Can you explain the stretch provision?
    Welcome to be here

Quote Originally Posted by neitzelbaby12 View Post
    Can you explain the stretch provision?
    I believe you can take a players remaining years on a contract and stretch them onto additional years. For example, Gordon has 1 more year with us for 15.5 million. Use the stretch provision and then it becomes only 7.75 million that counts against our cap next year, and another 7.75 against our cap the following year even when he isn't on the team. It's an emergency way of clearing cap space.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, i'm no expert.
    Last edited by HornetGuru; 11-20-2014 at 04:57 PM.

1. You wouldn't have 10 million to spend, because you would have cap holds - including Asik's, unless you renounce his Bird Rights (which we won't). And even if we do, you have holds of about 500K for every empty roster spot. So, the likelihood is that we have zero cap space and use the MLE and the biannual

2. The stretch provision is length of contract times 2, plus one. So, Gordon's 15.5 million would count for 5.16 million each of the next three years.

If someone wants to know more, I have done extensive articles on it

http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/20...g-eric-gordon/

http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/20...beasley-model/
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    1. You wouldn't have 10 million to spend, because you would have cap holds - including Asik's, unless you renounce his Bird Rights (which we won't). And even if we do, you have holds of about 500K for every empty roster spot. So, the likelihood is that we have zero cap space and use the MLE and the biannual

2. The stretch provision is length of contract times 2, plus one. So, Gordon's 15.5 million would count for 5.16 million each of the next three years.
    I knew u'd chime in, thanks! Do you think its possible we use it on him this year or no?

Also would u mind explaining what u mean by a cap hold? I thought Asik was an UFA?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    I knew u'd chime in, thanks! Do you think its possible we use it on him this year or no?

Also would u mind explaining what u mean by a cap hold? I thought Asik was an UFA?

Thanks.
    We have Asik's Bird rights, meaning we can exceed the cap to re-sign him. So that teams don't take advantage of this, there exists a "cap hold" based on the player's last contract. If we renounce Asik's Bird rights, we get rid of the cap hold, but then we can't exceed the cap to retain him.

Thanks.
    No, I don't think we will use the stretch, because I doubt we want dead money on our books when the salary cap spikes.

A cap hold is what allows you to use Bird Rights on a player. You can't, for instance, use up all your cap space on free agents and then go over the cap by signing Asik. In order to go over the cap with his salary, his cap hold must stay on the books. Asik's cap hold is 12.5 million. Meaning, effectively we will enter free agency next summer over the cap - which is a good thing because it allows us to use the MLE.

Bottom line, we won't have cap room unless Gordon is gone one way or the other by next summer.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

I don't see why we'd use the stretch provision after waiting all this time; We can just wait for one more seaosn and have the whole thing off the books. Pass on that.

No, I don't think we will use the stretch, because I doubt we want dead money on our books when the salary cap spikes.

A cap hold is what allows you to use Bird Rights on a player. You can't, for instance, use up all your cap space on free agents and then go over the cap by signing Asik. In order to go over the cap with his salary, his cap hold must stay on the books. Asik's cap hold is 12.5 million. Meaning, effectively we will enter free agency next summer over the cap - which is a good thing because it allows us to use the MLE.

Bottom line, we won't have cap room unless Gordon is gone one way or the other by next summer.
    So is there any way we have a shot at signing draymond or unlikely?

Also thanks for the response.

If Gordon is off the roster, it is possible. If not, look for cheaper options like Damarre Carroll. Or a one year rental while you wait for the class of 2016 and/or a trade that summer where you can just take on salary without giving any back.

This is why, even though it might hurt us this season, I would trade Eric Gordon for an expiring contract that can't contribute (think Steve Nash). I would be willing to miss the playoffs this year to land Butler or a Green. The 2015 small forward market is decent. Won't be that way in 2016 unless we can lure Durant or Batum.

What if D. Green accepts MLE (which I think is in the 6-7M range).

He will get more than that in FA....I would think though.

What I want to know can GS offer more than 6-7M to retain him without going into lux territory?

If Gordon is off the roster, it is possible. If not, look for cheaper options like Damarre Carroll. Or a one year rental while you wait for the class of 2016 and/or a trade that summer where you can just take on salary without giving any back.

This is why, even though it might hurt us this season, I would trade Eric Gordon for an expiring contract that can't contribute (think Steve Nash). I would be willing to miss the playoffs this year to land Butler or a Green. The 2015 small forward market is decent. Won't be that way in 2016.
    Thats not a bad idea but I wonder why anyone would do that trade with us, why trade an already expiring for a player they will have to wait a year for to expire, unless they think he is good or something.

Also draymond and jimmy butler are 2 players I love. Jimmy Butler would be a dream come true, I just thought we could never ever afford him.

I don't think we can trade Gordon for an expiring. I was just saying - if we could - I would do it. Even if it meant finishing 9th in the West this year as opposed to 7th or 8th

What if D. Green accepts MLE (which I think is in the 6-7M range).

He will get more than that in FA....I would think though.

What I want to know can GS offer more than 6-7M to retain him without going into lux territory?

Draymond Green is worth way more than the MLE. There is no chance he takes that contract especially since he is a restricted free agent.

Also re: Asik look at what Vucevic signed for and start your negotiation right there because that is what his agent will ask for. 9 mil a year for him is going to be insulting.

If we could somehow get DeMarre Carroll though I would be thrilled.

I don't think we can trade Gordon for an expiring. I was just saying - if we could - I would do it. Even if it meant finishing 9th in the West this year as opposed to 7th or 8th
    Would it be possible to sign draymond to like a 4 year 40 million deal and just backload his contract? like 5 mil in year 1, 15 in year 2 and 10 in year 3 and 4?

it is probably possible in theory, but why on earth would he do that? he seems to be very happy with the warriors, they are very happy with him, and it's only 1 year in the tax if they match and keep him yeah?

Would it be possible to sign draymond to like a 4 year 40 million deal and just backload his contract? like 5 mil in year 1, 15 in year 2 and 10 in year 3 and 4?
    No. Can't do raises like that. Backend contracts is a football thing. Can't do it in NBA.

Even Asik and Lin's deals didn't count like that against the cap. You can only have up to 4.5% raises or declines each year if you sign another teams player.

This is why, even though it might hurt us this season, I would trade Eric Gordon for an expiring contract that can't contribute (think Steve Nash). I would be willing to miss the playoffs this year to land Butler or a Green. The 2015 small forward market is decent. Won't be that way in 2016 unless we can lure Durant or Batum.
    I think this will be the likely scenario. I have come to terms with the fact EG will be here next season. But, if we can keep Asik and sign Carroll I would be happy with that...I would like Dell to bring in a veteran PG to run the second unit next year as well......

The more I read about NBA contractual rules the more I am confuse

Quote Originally Posted by SaintPelican225 View Post
    I think this will be the likely scenario. I have come to terms with the fact EG will be here next season. But, if we can keep Asik and sign Carroll I would be happy with that...I would like Dell to bring in a veteran PG to run the second unit next year as well......
    Could theoretically do that with the bi-annual exception next year. Guy like CJ Watson would be fine with me if Russ isn't ready yet

Could theoretically do that with the bi-annual exception next year. Guy like CJ Watson would be fine with me if Russ isn't ready yet
    So you think the Pel's will be able to sign a player like Carrol or Crowder or Middleton using some of MLE and have enough for a veteran PG like Watson also?

BTW what is the MLE next year (6M??)

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    So you think the Pel's will be able to sign a player like Carrol or Crowder or Middleton using some of MLE and have enough for a veteran PG like Watson also?

BTW what is the MLE next year (6M??)
    No - if you are over the cap, you have the MLE (which would start around 5.4 next year) and the bi-annual (2.1 mil)

No - if you are over the cap, you have the MLE (which would start around 5.4 next year) and the bi-annual (2.1 mil)
    Ok thank you.

So a guy like Carrol or Crowder or Middleton could be had for the MLE and a guy like Watson for the Bi-annual.

That would a nice team next season....especially with the core having another year under their belt:

Holiday/Watson/Smith
    Gordon
    Evans/Carrol or Crowder or Middleton
    Davis/Anderson/Young
    Asik/

Thread Information