Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Some Salary Cap #'s

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Ok thank you.

So a guy like Carrol or Crowder or Middleton could be had for the MLE and a guy like Watson for the Bi-annual.

That would a nice team next season....especially with the core having another year under their belt:

Holiday/Watson/Smith
    Gordon
    Evans/Carrol or Crowder or Middleton
    Davis/Anderson/Young
    Asik/
    Or imagine if you could unload Gordon, get an even better SF, bring Rivers back as backup SG, and get another physical 4th big. If Dell could somehow unload that contract, they could contend as soon as next year
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Or imagine if you could unload Gordon, get an even better SF, bring Rivers back as backup SG, and get another physical 4th big. If Dell could somehow unload that contract, they could contend as soon as next year
    Can't see it happening....but I didn't see the Asik deal happening either so who knows?
    It's a shame that more than likely River's won't be here next year.

If River's doesn't improve greatly from last year....do you think anyone will pay him more than what the Pel's declined?

That way instead of paying Watson 2.1M we could sign River's instead.
    Can you split the MLE between two players?

Can't see it happening....but I didn't see the Asik deal happening either so who knows?
    It's a shame that more than likely River's won't be here next year.

If River's doesn't improve greatly from last year....do you think anyone will pay him more than what the Pel's declined?

That way instead of paying Watson 2.1M we could sign River's instead.
    Can you split the MLE between two players?
    You can sign Rivers with Bird Rights. Wouldn't effect either exception. Can sign all our own players and use MLE and bi-annual.

My question is if we can move Gordon next summer if we attach a 1st round pick to him. That's all it took to move Lin, who was also owed 15 mil for 1 year. If we keep our pick, I would gladly give it up to dump Gordon and free that space. Or if we gave up the Houston pick, I would gladly trade a future pick to dump his salary. Do that, and you can easily land a huge upgrade at SF, re-sign Asik, and fill out your bench.

No. Can't do raises like that. Backend contracts is a football thing. Can't do it in NBA.

Even Asik and Lin's deals didn't count like that against the cap. You can only have up to 4.5% raises or declines each year if you sign another teams player.
    gotcha thanks

You can sign Rivers with Bird Rights. Wouldn't effect either exception. Can sign all our own players and use MLE and bi-annual.

My question is if we can move Gordon next summer if we attach a 1st round pick to him. That's all it took to move Lin, who was also owed 15 mil for 1 year. If we keep our pick, I would gladly give it up to dump Gordon and free that space. Or if we gave up the Houston pick, I would gladly trade a future pick to dump his salary. Do that, and you can easily land a huge upgrade at SF, re-sign Asik, and fill out your bench.
    Don't play with my emotions that way! I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Who exactly is a huge upgrade at SF

I don't see anyone better than Carroll being available especially taking fit into account

I would much rather just go for him at the MLE

Quote Originally Posted by LOLLakers View Post
    Who exactly is a huge upgrade at SF

I don't see anyone better than Carroll being available especially taking fit into account

I would much rather just go for him at the MLE
    Any of the Greens and Jimmy Butler. Also, don't forget Dell usually adds pieces via trade. You clear Gordon from the books, and that brings pretty much any SF into play because then you can do uneven trades.

Getting rid of Gordon gives you flexibility. Any time you give Dell flexibility, he works his magic. So, I don't care to speculate who it could be. All I know is that is if it gives Dell flexibility, and if that happens we will get a great piece that will fit much better than Gordon

Casspi with 14 points again today.

This is really getting my goat. He was right in our lap.

Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    Casspi with 14 points again today.

This is really getting my goat. He was right in our lap.
    Get over it my brother.
    He didn't want to be here.
    He hasn't got a 3 point shot and is another slasher.
    We have plenty of those.

Michael (and other guys)

Right know we are on 20th place in tankhaton http://www.tankathon.com/ - which means we will stay with the pick in 2015 draft. Let's assume that we will stay on this place.

When can we use pick as a piece of a trade (f.e. in Gordon trade, whatever). Having in mind that our future pick is owed to Houston.
    Before the draft/after/or we can't do it?
    Or do we have to use the pick and than trade it like in Noel case (I think that it is the answer).
    Expiring contract and sweetener might be better for other teams to take Gordon, as You mentioned above.
    Last edited by pawel; 11-21-2014 at 03:04 AM.

Get over it my brother.
    He didn't want to be here.
    He hasn't got a 3 point shot and is another slasher.
    We have plenty of those.
    Did he ever say he didn't want to be here publicly?

Would have meant no Salmons on the roster too.

If Gordon is off the roster, it is possible. If not, look for cheaper options like Damarre Carroll. Or a one year rental while you wait for the class of 2016 and/or a trade that summer where you can just take on salary without giving any back.

This is why, even though it might hurt us this season, I would trade Eric Gordon for an expiring contract that can't contribute (think Steve Nash). I would be willing to miss the playoffs this year to land Butler or a Green. The 2015 small forward market is decent. Won't be that way in 2016 unless we can lure Durant or Batum.
    So you are willing to miss the playoffs. That's very generous of you. Hope you told Benson to keep Dell and Monty too.

[QUOTE=MichaelMcNamara;1258136]Or imagine if you could unload Gordon, get an even better SF, bring Rivers back as backup SG, and get another physical 4th big. If Dell could somehow unload that contract, they could contend as soon as next year[/QUOTE

Who is an even better SF than Evans? You stated swings are interchangeable on the offense so what are you implying about Evans?

[QUOTE=MichaelMcNamara;1258136]Or imagine if you could unload Gordon, get an even better SF, bring Rivers back as backup SG, and get another physical 4th big. If Dell could somehow unload that contract, they could contend as soon as next year[/QUOTE

Who is an even better SF than Evans? You stated swings are interchangeable on the offense so what are you implying about Evans?

Would anyone trade Ryno if it meant packaging Gordon?

Ryno and EJ for Amare's expiring?
    Ryno and EJ for Rondo's expiring and Jeff Green?

I might do it. That's $23m ($14m and Jeff Green) off the books at the end of the year. I love Ryno, but I think we could do more with the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    Did he ever say he didn't want to be here publicly?

Would have meant no Salmons on the roster too.
    David 'Dubi' Pick: "This is a big season for my career, it's important that I play," Omri Casspi said upon arrival in Israel. New Orleans isn't the best situation for me. We'll finalize terms of split," Omri Casspi added.

[QUOTE=durun;1258156]
    Or imagine if you could unload Gordon, get an even better SF, bring Rivers back as backup SG, and get another physical 4th big. If Dell could somehow unload that contract, they could contend as soon as next year[/QUOTE

They are interchangeable on offense, not defense. Fact is that you want Evans guarding Ben McLemore, not Rudy Gay if you had the choice. Plus, I imagine that Evans layups will start going in more when he has less length covering him on the defensive end. You move Evans to SG and get a guy like Butler, one of the Green's, or heck, Demarre Carroll to defend SF's, and this team is much better IMO

[QUOTE=MichaelMcNamara;1258161]
    Quote Originally Posted by durun View Post

They are interchangeable on offense, not defense. Fact is that you want Evans guarding Ben McLemore, not Rudy Gay if you had the choice. Plus, I imagine that Evans layups will start going in more when he has less length covering him on the defensive end. You move Evans to SG and get a guy like Butler, one of the Green's, or heck, Demarre Carroll to defend SF's, and this team is much better IMO
    Interesting thought. That could be a contributing factor to his declining finishing ability at the rim for sure.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

[QUOTE=PelsFan2313;1258169]

Interesting thought. That could be a contributing factor to his declining finishing ability at the rim for sure.
    My theory is that it is a combination of:

Having more length on him than usual when he played guard in the past (30%)
    Him knowing he has bigs to clean up his mess even if he misses, so he takes lower percentage shots (25%)
    Inability to palm a basketball (20%)
    Mental - misses get in his head, he tries harder, misses more (15%)
    Early season and still getting into basketball shape after offseason surgery (10%)

Getting rid of Gordon gives you flexibility. Any time you give Dell flexibility, he works his magic. So, I don't care to speculate who it could be. All I know is that is if it gives Dell flexibility, and if that happens we will get a great piece that will fit much better than Gordon
    The fact that they didn't pick up Rivers option when as you've pointed out that's kind of pointless if you don't move Gordon makes me hopeful. Although it wouldn't be the first time Dell was wrong about his ability to move Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    The fact that they didn't pick up Rivers option when as you've pointed out that's kind of pointless if you don't move Gordon makes me hopeful. Although it wouldn't be the first time Dell was wrong about his ability to move Gordon.
    I think his "in case of emergency, break bottle" plan is to ship Gordon with a future 1st or two next summer. The hope is that he will play well enough that he won't have to include picks for some team to take Gordon or that Gordon plays well enough in his own mind for him to be delusional enough to opt out.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    I'm curious as to see how many people just want Gordon's salary off the books by any means necessary or if they would just rather let it expire? Personally I think if we get him off the books it gives our GM more room to do his job but curious as to what the majority thinks.

Thread Information