Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Eric Gordon starting to mesh?

He's looking to pass more where b4 he would force shots.

1-6

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    No not the Kings game. Basing what I've seen from him the other 9 games.
    Guess you did not.see the T-Wolves.game. K Martin made zero field goals against Gordon and committed four turnovers. Martin was minus 31 for that game. BTW Martin scored 37 last night.

Was it just me or were they going to him down the stretch of the game and he was making the shots like the "closer" he was brought here to be ooooor was I jjust drunk? lol

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by durun View Post
    Guess you did not.see the T-Wolves.game. K Martin made zero field goals against Gordon and committed four turnovers. Martin was minus 31 for that game. BTW Martin scored 37 last night.
    I did watch that game and I hope you aren't attributing Martin missing shots to Gordon's defense. He's a shooter who has good nights and bad ones. I can cherry pick my arguments to: the game after us he only had 12 points is Harden great on defense? The very next game at Miami Martin went 2-9 with 3 turnovers, should we put 32 year old Dwayne Wade on the all defense team?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Gordon is playing much better defense. Watch him. He usually forces his guy to have to pass the ball away under pressure. He's stealing the ball well. He's doing things he needs to do. Let him be more involved in the 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    Gordon is playing much better defense. Watch him. He usually forces his guy to have to pass the ball away under pressure. He's stealing the ball well. He's doing things he needs to do. Let him be more involved in the 4th.
    Yeah, I have to assume that people saying his defense hasn't improved are simply not paying attention to him on that side of the floor. No, he isn't a DPoTY candidate, but there has been a definite improvement from last year, and the same goes for his willingness to pass the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaLegs View Post
    Yeah, I have to assume that people saying his defense hasn't improved are simply not paying attention to him on that side of the floor. No, he isn't a DPoTY candidate, but there has been a definite improvement from last year, and the same goes for his willingness to pass the ball.
    He improved from last year in yet his defensive win shares is the lowest it's ever been, his offensive win shares is the lowest it's ever been at a negative rating, his overall win shares is the lowest it's ever been, and his assist to turnover ratio is very close to his career low. Yep, clear improvement.

He improved from last year in yet his defensive win shares is the lowest it's ever been, his offensive win shares is the lowest it's ever been at a negative rating, his overall win shares is the lowest it's ever been, and his assist to turnover ratio is very close to his career low. Yep, clear improvement.
    I guess you could viably argue that, while he is giving more effort, the effort isn't translating directly into productivity. I didn't think this was the case, but those advanced statistics imply that it may be. But the guy is hustling more than he ever has on the defensive end, and I don't see how you can say otherwise if you watch the games.
    Last edited by SeaLegs; 11-20-2014 at 04:50 PM.

Eric Gordon is in a bad spot. People hate him for the sake of hating him. When he has a good game, recaps don't even mention his name. When he has a bad game, you'd think that he was the sole reason the team lost. On 106.1 (The Sports Hangover) 2 days after the Portland loss, the hosts were lamenting about AD's lack of touches in the 4th. They blamed the guards for the loss. Jrue & Reke got blamed for ball hogging and EG got blamed for going 0 for 0. Huh? They actually complained that AD didn't get enough shots and followed that up with it's EG's fault for not taking shots. People got to let it go. EG has been the epitome of team this season. All of his stats are down including his usage which allows the favorites an opportunity to shine but its still not good enough. When he finally comes out and asserts himself, they'll be 72 threads about how Gordon is ball hogging. He can't win for losing.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    Eric Gordon is in a bad spot. People hate him for the sake of hating him. When he has a good game, recaps don't even mention his name. When he has a bad game, you'd think that he was the sole reason the team lost. On 106.1 (The Sports Hangover) 2 days after the Portland loss, the hosts were lamenting about AD's lack of touches in the 4th. They blamed the guards for the loss. Jrue & Reke got blamed for ball hogging and EG got blamed for going 0 for 0. Huh? They actually complained that AD didn't get enough shots and followed that up with it's EG's fault for not taking shots. People got to let it go. EG has been the epitome of team this season. All of his stats are down including his usage which allows the favorites an opportunity to shine but its still not good enough. When he finally comes out and asserts himself, they'll be 72 threads about how Gordon is ball hogging. He can't win for losing.
    i dont hate him for the sake of hating him. I hate him because he gets paid 15.5 million and proceeds like a league minimum player.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    i dont hate him for the sake of hating him. I hate him because he gets paid 15.5 million and proceeds like a league minimum player.
    which is an odd thing to hate someone for. Players don't want to be injured and see their basketball abilities wane, and Phoenix offered him good money. Why is that a slight on him that we then matched it? It is just a tired old story. Like UptownFuz mentioned, people were ripping on him for the Portland 4th, grouping him in as "our guards" when he didn't put a shot up. A shot chart was put up on reddit with "Gordon, Reke, Jrue shot chart 4th" with all the misses - why would you put Gordon in that?

If we are going to criticise him, make the points valid and relative to what he can actually change. He cannot magically wave his body back to what it was, but he sure is working as best he can at it. We signed a contract, we can wear it. Gordons shot wasn't falling - valid issue - now it is. I personally just want to see him focus a little more on his fouls and turnovers. If he plays like he is currently, but can keep these down and his buckets sinking, I think he would be playing his role well. Whether he plays with the starting unit or not, it isn't really up to him, that's a decision for Monty to make, and if he cries about it, then that's on him definitely. Do I care if he stays with NOLA? Not really, but it is in everyone's best interests for him to play well in the system - so I'll give him the same support as the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaLegs View Post
    I guess you could viably argue that, while he is giving more effort, the effort isn't translating directly into productivity. I didn't think this was the case, but those advanced statistics imply that it may be. But the guy is hustling more than he ever has on the defensive end, and I don't see how you can say otherwise if you watch the games.
    If you want to say he is giving effort and hustling that a fine I'll agree. I don't see any laziness or not caring or anything like that. I'm just not aeeing him play 1 on 1 defense the way I know he can even after his knee injuries.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    We got some bitter ex-girlfriends up in here.

Lance Stephenson: 34.7 MPG / 37.4% FG / 22.7 3p% / 2.7 TOV
    Eric Gordon: 32.9 MPG / 38.2% FG / 32.4 3p% / 1.6 TOV

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicantoo View Post
    Lance Stephenson: 34.7 MPG / 37.4% FG / 22.7 3p% / 2.7 TOV
    Eric Gordon: 32.9 MPG / 38.2% FG / 32.4 3p% / 1.6 TOV
    And what is this supposed to mean if you aren't that high on Stephenson?

And what is this supposed to mean if you aren't that high on Stephenson?
    Not everything's an argument; it's just context. High on Stephenson or not, the perception is that Lance is a much more valuable contributor, and after Gordon's "worst conceivable start ever," he's in the same realm as a "valuable starter on a playoff team." Not suggesting anything more than that.

Not everything's an argument; it's just context. High on Stephenson or not, the perception is that Lance is a much more valuable contributor, and after Gordon's "worst conceivable start ever," he's in the same realm as a "valuable starter on a playoff team." Not suggesting anything more than that.
    I haven't seen anyone in this thread mention Lance Stephenson. Just wondering why you are bringing him up when no one said something like "Well Stevenson is playing better".

Also, just to keep it in perspective I don't think Gordon's production overall has ever been the issue (going back since he's been here not just about the complaints from fans for the first few games of this season). The biggest problem is the amount of cap space he takes up and his injury problems. Stevenson makes way less than Gordon does. I'm not saying 1 is better than the other, I'm just not going to compare 2 guys when 1 of them has been darn healthy and is at a cheaper rate.
    Last edited by RaisingTheBar; 11-21-2014 at 11:23 AM.

I haven't seen anyone in this thread mention Lance Stephenson. Just wondering why you are bringing him up when no one said something like "Well Stevenson is playing better".

Also, just to keep it in perspective I don't think Gordon's production overall has ever been the issue (going back since he's been here not just about the complaints from fans for the first few games of this season). The biggest problem is the amount of cap space he takes up and his injury problems. Stevenson makes way less than Gordon does. I'm not saying 1 is better than the other, I'm just not going to compare 2 guys when 1 of them has been darn healthy and is at a cheaper rate.
    This is fair (I actually had it in my head that he made 12 million a year, not 9). Anyways, I realize laying stats like that looks like I'm saying that Gordon's better than Stephenson, but it was more to show that despite his awful start, he's still producing at a rate similar to another valuable starting guard on a contender. It was a statement on Gordon's production, really, not on any comparison (or who would you rather).

I did watch that game and I hope you aren't attributing Martin missing shots to Gordon's defense. He's a shooter who has good nights and bad ones. I can cherry pick my arguments to: the game after us he only had 12 points is Harden great on defense? The very next game at Miami Martin went 2-9 with 3 turnovers, should we put 32 year old Dwayne Wade on the all defense team?
    Opponents starting SGs are shooting less than 30% of their field goals aganist the Pels and you are saying he isn't playing defense. Look at the boxscores for the first ten games.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Last 4 games,

129 minutes

11.5 PPG, 1.5 RPG, 4 Total Stocks (Steals/Blocks), 12 total assists, 5 Turnovers, 12 fouls.

17/31 from the field = 54%
    7/13 from three = 53.8%
    5/6 from FT = 83%

Arm chair analysis...

He started the season off in a shooting slump, but has busted out it pretty nicely. Nearly 12 pts on 8 shots a game with those percentages, we would take that all season. Only 4 shots against the T'Wolves, only 6 against the Trailblazers, 13 against the Kings (clutch, too) and 8 with poor shooting agains the Lakers. 3 assists per game with with this efficiency and low usage is outstanding. Turnovers have been down too over this stretch. One stock a game is not horrible. The bad... fouls. It feels like he is the guard version of Ajinca. Combined with his horrible shooting start and poor overall floor game makes him look worse than he is. Bottom line, during our best stretch of basketball during this (young) season Gordon has done exactly what we needed him to, which is to do more with less. I'd say the trend line is encouraging. As he regains his confidence and gets more comfortable with his new role with the Finishing Five, I think we will see him deployed more with the 2nd team, but before that can happen one of Rivers, Ajinca, or Babbit need to show some consistency.

Opponents starting SGs are shooting less than 30% of their field goals aganist the Pels and you are saying he isn't playing defense. Look at the boxscores for the first ten games.
    No. His career low in defensive win shares say he isn't playing defense. I've seen him play a lot better even while in New Orleans. That 30% can't probably be contributed to Kobe alone.

This is fair (I actually had it in my head that he made 12 million a year, not 9). Anyways, I realize laying stats like that looks like I'm saying that Gordon's better than Stephenson, but it was more to show that despite his awful start, he's still producing at a rate similar to another valuable starting guard on a contender. It was a statement on Gordon's production, really, not on any comparison (or who would you rather).
    Well debating if the Hornets are a contender is a different discussion lol but I get your point I just don't think his production or lack there of has ever been a serious issue. More so his healthy and his salary.

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    Last 4 games,

129 minutes

11.5 PPG, 1.5 RPG, 4 Total Stocks (Steals/Blocks), 12 total assists, 5 Turnovers, 12 fouls.

17/31 from the field = 54%
    7/13 from three = 53.8%
    5/6 from FT = 83%

Arm chair analysis...

He started the season off in a shooting slump, but has busted out it pretty nicely. Nearly 12 pts on 8 shots a game with those percentages, we would take that all season. Only 4 shots against the T'Wolves, only 6 against the Trailblazers, 13 against the Kings (clutch, too) and 8 with poor shooting agains the Lakers. 3 assists per game with with this efficiency and low usage is outstanding. Turnovers have been down too over this stretch. One stock a game is not horrible. The bad... fouls. It feels like he is the guard version of Ajinca. Combined with his horrible shooting start and poor overall floor game makes him look worse than he is. Bottom line, during our best stretch of basketball during this (young) season Gordon has done exactly what we needed him to, which is to do more with less. I'd say the trend line is encouraging. As he regains his confidence and gets more comfortable with his new role with the Finishing Five, I think we will see him deployed more with the 2nd team, but before that can happen one of Rivers, Ajinca, or Babbit need to show some consistency.
    This. Relatively mistake free and hitting open shots. It's a start.

No. His career low in defensive win shares say he isn't playing defense. I've seen him play a lot better even while in New Orleans. That 30% can't probably be contributed to Kobe alone.
    It is still a fact that starting shooting guards have a dismal th percentage against the Pels. Kobe took lots of attempt but it doesn't diminish Gordon's play. Opponents aren't taking lots of attempts against him. Sort like criticizing a cornerback for not having interceptions when the qb is not throwing to his side.

It is still a fact that starting shooting guards have a dismal th percentage against the Pels. Kobe took lots of attempt but it doesn't diminish Gordon's play. Opponents aren't taking lots of attempts against him. Sort like criticizing a cornerback for not having interceptions when the qb is not throwing to his side.
    If the stats showed that corner back has decreased in quality of play then I would say the same thing. Stop making up excuses and go look at the stats. I already explained it in post 32. Gordon isn't the only player on the team playing sg BTW.

Thread Information