Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: AD 25 shots a game

AD 25 shots a game

yes please

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Monty is such a horrible coach. Why would we want AD of all people shooting 25 times a game.

Amen! He gets it, so why don't his guards? Either they need to figure it out, or you need to move the Commadores so Lionel can get what he deserves. I love having Jrue and Reke here, but if they are going to look for their own shot (ala Russ Westbrook) as opposed to getting it to the keystone of the team (AD) you need to move them for the pieces that will.

AD can break Wilts scoring record. He is young enough, and he is a big. Those two factors will get him there if the guys handling the ball will accommodate his play.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    At least he gets the picture and it's one I think all of us here would agree with. Now it's up to him to relay that message to the team.

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    Monty is such a horrible coach. Why would we want AD of all people shooting 25 times a game.
    I see what you did there

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Amen! He gets it, so why don't his guards? Either they need to figure it out, or you need to move the Commadores so Lionel can get what he deserves. I love having Jrue and Reke here, but if they are going to look for their own shot (ala Russ Westbrook) as opposed to getting it to the keystone of the team (AD) you need to move them for the pieces that will.

AD can break Wilts scoring record. He is young enough, and he is a big. Those two factors will get him there if the guys handling the ball will accommodate his play.
    The perception that Jrue and Reke are somehow not team players, or selfish looking for their own shot is one that is wrong and needs to be dispelled.

They are both averaging over 6 assists a game. The problem isn't that they are shooting instead of passing to AD, it's that AD gets covered and they attempt to make something happen.

Do they still need to look for AD? Yes. Because they need teams to be forced to start doubling AD. But this idea that they are purposely avoiding passing the ball to AD is wrong.

I'm certain as this year goes forward they will learn more and more how to play together and feel out when to and how to get the ball to AD. Teams are giving our guards looks right now to purposely keep it away from AD in the 4th.

Getting AD to shoot 25 times would be a horrible basketball strategy

agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    The perception that Jrue and Reke are somehow not team players, or selfish looking for their own shot is one that is wrong and needs to be dispelled.

They are both averaging over 6 assists a game. The problem isn't that they are shooting instead of passing to AD, it's that AD gets covered and they attempt to make something happen.

Do they still need to look for AD? Yes. Because they need teams to be forced to start doubling AD. But this idea that they are purposely avoiding passing the ball to AD is wrong.

I'm certain as this year goes forward they will learn more and more how to play together and feel out when to and how to get the ball to AD. Teams are giving our guards looks right now to purposely keep it away from AD in the 4th.
    Agreed, currently Tyreke is tied for 7th in assists and Jrue 10th in the league. I think the complaint with most fans is sometimes it seems they don't feed AD at the end of the stretch.

I think Monty is using hyperbole here.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pardon View Post
    Agreed, currently Tyreke is tied for 7th in assists and Jrue 10th in the league. I think the complaint with most fans is sometimes it seems they don't feed AD at the end of the stretch.
    That happened in 1 game so far and all of a sudden it's a habit.

No way AD should hoist 25 shots on a regular basis. That's not his game, at least not right now. Part of why he is such an efficient scorer is that he doesn't chase bad shots. His scoring is in the flow of the offense, off the glass or on the break. I agree that our guards miss AD from time to time when he's available, but it's a work in progress and they're getting better, as their assist numbers indicate. 18-20 shots a game is a good clip for Davis this year, hopefully yielding 50+% shooting and at least 6-8 FTA/game...

Don't tell me Jrue and Reke's assist numbers, tell me what their shooting numbers are. They have taken bad shots (nobody is contesting that one I hope). Instead of passing to Davis, they go for low percentage shots.

Give him the ball more, and the team will be rewarded with more opportunities.

Monty calls plays for AD, and sometimes the defense does not allow for the play to progress to where AD gets it. So Jrue and Reke has to improvise... sometimes resulting in terrible shots while trying to beat the shot clock.

Other times they simply take it upon themselves to get a shot up regardless of the play call.

It happens with young teams.

Don't tell me Jrue and Reke's assist numbers, tell me what their shooting numbers are. They have taken bad shots (nobody is contesting that one I hope). Instead of passing to Davis, they go for low percentage shots.

Give him the ball more, and the team will be rewarded with more opportunities.
    Jrue TS is 52% tied for highest of his career and Tyreke's is 47%. You didn't really address the point that, how are they suppose to go to Davis when teams are covering him in the 4th? Force passes to him and risk turnovers?

AD is already taking a team high number of shots. He's already 2 more attempts per game than the closest person and he doesn't really have a go to move. Would it be great for AD to take 25 shots a game? Sure.

But don't build this crazy narrative that Jrue and Tyreke are selfish players that purposely keep the ball away from AD. AD has already said MULTIPLE times he lets the game come to him and he likes to get everyone involved.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Monty, you cheeky devil.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Jrue TS is 52% tied for highest of his career and Tyreke's is 47%. You didn't really address the point that, how are they suppose to go to Davis when teams are covering him in the 4th? Force passes to him and risk turnovers?
    How about setting a few screens for him to remove his man from the picture? Pick and roll? Pick and pop (as a last resort)? Right now our go-to play for AD is for the guard to miss the layup and hope AD can get a rebound plus 2 points on the put-back. It didn't work against either Portland or Sacramento in those 4th quarters, for whatever reason. We need to run some more traditional basketball plays designed to get AD open in the paint so we can get him the ball.

[QUTE=NOEngineer;1257918]How about setting a few screens for him to remove his man from the picture? Pick and roll? Pick and pop (as a last resort)? Right now our go-to play for AD is for the guard to miss the layup and hope AD can get a rebound plus 2 points on the put-back. It didn't work against either Portland or Sacramento in those 4th quarters, for whatever reason. We need to run some more traditional basketball plays designed to get AD open in the paint so we can get him the ball.[/QUOTE]

What he said. Throwing up a shot (and missing it) only to have AD put the shot back isn't a drawn up play.

Make some moves. Ryno stretches the court, Reke can also, make some plays that leave AD alone with his man. It isn't rocket surgery.

AD takes 2 more shots than the next guy? Why isn't he taking more? 2 more shots than the next guy isn't that impressive. It's not like he is playing with scorers like Currey, Westbrook, Kobe, or Melo. Lebron takes 4 more shots a game than Irving. Harden 5 more than Dwight. Griffin 5 more than CP3. Aldridge 4 more than Lillard. AD is your best player (he is Justin Timberlakd), everyone else are N'SYNC. Sure you have a guy or two that can carry a show, but without Timberlakd they are a bunch of funny dressed guys that dance.

Give AD more shots. He should be posting better ppg than this.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Some of you are seriously silly. AD is having a great year. The Pels are a work in progress, as we all should have expected them to be considering the injuries they had last year and the lack of playing time as a unit that they've had together.

The Heat w/ Bosh, Lebron, and Wade loss 4 out of their first 5 games. Cleveland w/ Lebron, Irving, and Love are currently 4-5 IN THE WEAKASS EASTERN CONFERENCE!

To quote the great Aaron "just like Bird" Rodgers...
    R-E-L-A-X ....relax
    And the Pels are in 6th place 1/8 of the way through the season.

It's OK, folks. Long season. I'd bet dollars to nickles that Tyreke isn't blowing layups during post All-Star break sprint to the playoffs.

What he said. Throwing up a shot (and missing it) only to have AD put the shot back isn't a drawn up play.

Make some moves. Ryno stretches the court, Reke can also, make some plays that leave AD alone with his man. It isn't rocket surgery.

AD takes 2 more shots than the next guy? Why isn't he taking more? 2 more shots than the next guy isn't that impressive. It's not like he is playing with scorers like Currey, Westbrook, Kobe, or Melo. Lebron takes 4 more shots a game than Irving. Harden 5 more than Dwight. Griffin 5 more than CP3. Aldridge 4 more than Lillard. AD is your best player (he is Justin Timberlakd), everyone else are N'SYNC. Sure you have a guy or two that can carry a show, but without Timberlakd they are a bunch of funny dressed guys that dance.

Give AD more shots. He should be posting better ppg than this.
    Because AD at this stage isn't a scorer like the guys you listed? The best ISO move he has right now is the half hook, his game rely heavily on guards play either
    -P&R for cut dunk
    -P&R for open jumper
    -fast break
    -put back
    -cut for lop

by my eye ball that is 70-80% of his points come from.

Are you sure you want to pass AD the ball and ask him to go Kobe mode?

FYI, even with the P&R/Assist God Stockton, Malone(50%+ FG%) peak at 20FGA per game.

Give him 20 a game right now. At the same stage in his career Karl Malone was getting 20 a game. AD is getting 17.8 a game, so 20 isn't too much more, and it's not a wild number like 25. And while Jrue and Reke aren't Stockton, they should both recognize that either of their careers in New Orleans live and die by AD approval of their play, and not the other way around. They know who the big ticket is, so get him the ball a few more times a game.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    I think Monty is using hyperbole here.
    I hope he is because otherwise I don’t agree with it. I'd like ADs touches to stay where they are, Jrue and Tyreke slightly less, Gordon always 10 to 12. Also get Asik enough for 10 to 12 points per.

Having multiple options is a good thing and must be exploited through the proper SHARING.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueJay View Post
    FYI, even with the P&R/Assist God Stockton, Malone(50%+ FG%) peak at 20FGA per game.
    Yeh but karl also averaged a lot more free throws, which means his usage rate would be a lot more higher on offense.

In his third year, karl averaged 9.6 compared to 6.4 by Davis..

The difference with Malone and AD is that build. I don't think someone of AD's build can't physiclly afford 9.6 fta's a game. Then again, the game then was a lot tougher, and now breathing in certain players draws a foul.

He's currently shooting 17.8 attempts per game and averaging 25.5 points on 58% field goal %.

Some math wiz please tell me how much he would be averaging theoretically if he was taking 25 shots a game please.

Thread Information