Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: AD 25 shots a game

Quote Originally Posted by BlueJay View Post
    And for the 2nd time, 25per game is crazy number.

Dirk peak at 20
    LBJ peak at 22
    Kobe did 27 once, rest are well under 25
    MJ did over 25 twice(25/27), rest are well under 25
    KD peak at 20
    and no, not even AI hit 25

unless you guys suggest AD >> all of them offensively
    To just build on this

Shaq averaged 16 shots a game and only went over 20 twice (21peak)

Hakeem averaged 17 and only went over 20 three times (21peak)

Barkley averaged less than 15 and never attempted over 20.

Malone averaged exactly what AD is doing this season with 17.8. He only hit 20 once as his peak.

Bird averaged 19, went over 20 four times (22peak).

Garnett, the guy people most closely associated Davis, averaged 15 a game and never hit 20.

Kareem averaged 19 a game. Shot over 20 in seven seasons and took 25 in only one (24.9peak).

These are Hall of Fame big men that AD in his 3rd year is already averaging more attempts or right near and he is doing it at 21. People need perspective when they call for even more shots attempts for AD and saying others are greedy,stupid,selfish for not passing to him more.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 11-20-2014 at 01:37 PM.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post

These are Hall of Fame big men that AD in his 3rd year is already averaging more attempts or right near and he is doing it at 21. People need perspective when they call for even more shots attempts for AD and saying others are greedy,stupid,selfish for not passing to him more.
    I agree. It's not really about the amount of AD looks, its more about where, when, and what to do when an AD look isn't there. At least for me.

Final thought, if AD can maintain the this level of output for the next 5-10yrs he will be GOAT by landslide. He is having the highest PER in the history of NBA.

Are you talking Moses or Karl Malone? Karl was getting 20 shots a game in his 3rd year.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

To just build on this

Shaq averaged 16 shots a game and only went over 20 twice (21peak)

Hakeem averaged 17 and only went over 20 three times (21peak)

Barkley averaged less than 15 and never attempted over 20.

Malone averaged exactly what AD is doing this season with 17.8. He only hit 20 once as his peak.

Bird averaged 19, went over 20 four times (22peak).

Garnett, the guy people most closely associated Davis, averaged 15 a game and never hit 20.

Kareem averaged 19 a game. Shot over 20 in seven seasons and took 25 in only one (24.9peak).

This continues to be a silly argument. The ultimate goal of any team is to win. Now right now under Davis' current usage he is averaging 17.8 attempts per game, mostly on easy looks. And as has been pointed out and backed up with evidence ad nauseum, davis is criminally underused in the fourth quarter. If asking him to get the ball more when he has a great look - by jrue in the pick and pop or roll, evans when he draws in three defenders or any other efficient manner - and that pushes him above 20 attempts per game, why is that a problem? Are you so concerned with him going over twenty shots that getting him 2 or 3 great looks in the fourth is completely unacceptable to you because he will go over some arbitrary ceiling that you have set?
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 11-20-2014 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Are you talking Moses or Karl Malone? Karl was getting 20 shots a game in his 3rd year.
    Karl was 24 his 3rd year.

I covered that before, Karl Malone peaked at 20 in his 3rd year and never again. And that is with Stockton at the point.

And the point is no big man in the history of the NBA(except Wilt) get to that 25 mark, and even the best gunner in the history of the NBA don't reach 25.

Karl was 24 his 3rd year.
    So in a few years he should get 20.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueJay View Post
    I covered that before, Karl Malone peaked at 20 in his 3rd year and never again. And that is with Stockton at the point.

And the point is no big man in the history of the NBA(except Wilt) get to that 25 mark, and even the best gunner in the history of the NBA don't reach 25.
    I am aware. The next question is, how does Monty propose that AD get these 25 shots? And for how long a period of time? This tweet smells like a coach who is trolling the media...like before the season he made it appear that Jimmer wouldn't get any minuets.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    This continues to be a silly argument. The ultimate goal of any team is to win. Now right now under Davis' current usage he is averaging 17.8 attempts per game, mostly on easy looks. And as has been pointed out and backed up with evidence ad nauseum, davis is criminally underused in the fourth quarter. If asking him to get the ball more when he has a great look - by jrue in the pick and pop or roll, evans when he draws in three defenders or any other efficient manner - and that pushes him above 20 attempts per game, why is that a problem? Are you so concerned with him going over twenty shots that getting him 2 or 3 great looks in the fourth is completely unacceptable to you because he will go over some arbitrary ceiling that you have set?
    I'm fine with him getting 20 shots. Hell 25 is fine. As long as they are good looks. The 4th qtr argument is fine but as has been addressed multiple times, AD has been covered pretty well. Has there been a couple of instances where he was missed? Sure. But we are game 10 of the season. And people are narrowing in on 5 plays? 7 plays he was missed? CRIMINAL of our guards. My only thing I've said is that the narrative that Jrue and Evans are ball hogs and stupid BBIQ and selfish is crazy to me. People are seriously sitting and typing this stuff like they are purposely looking away from AD in the 4th, but not the previous 3 qtrs.

I've also pointed that AD is already taking a good number of attempts even compared to Hall of Fame Big Men. So it's not as if he is somehow getting slighted by the team. He's said himself he lets the game come to him and wants others to be involved.

So in a few years he should get 20.
    Sure. He very well could. Which is why I find all the guard hate so crazy.

What is crazy in saying they don't have great bbiq's? They don't. They have good iq's, but to say they have great iq's is highly questionable based in some of their shot selection, and how they view trailing players when on a contested fast break. There is nothing malicious in telling the truth. They are great for what we have, but they could play better.

I'm fine with him getting 20 shots. Hell 25 is fine. As long as they are good looks. The 4th qtr argument is fine but as has been addressed multiple times, AD has been covered pretty well. Has there been a couple of instances where he was missed? Sure. But we are game 10 of the season. And people are narrowing in on 5 plays? 7 plays he was missed? CRIMINAL of our guards. My only thing I've said is that the narrative that Jrue and Evans are ball hogs and stupid BBIQ and selfish is crazy to me. People are seriously sitting and typing this stuff like they are purposely looking away from AD in the 4th, but not the previous 3 qtrs.

I've also pointed that AD is already taking a good number of attempts even compared to Hall of Fame Big Men. So it's not as if he is somehow getting slighted by the team. He's said himself he lets the game come to him and wants others to be involved.
    I don't know how often people need to break down the play by play for the quarters or post the stats but is is absolutely true that jrue and evans become ball dominant in the fourth and AD is often heavily ignored.

I mean I honestly am having a hard time believing you can say you watched every game and haven't noticed the complete shift that happens in the fourth quarter. All but maybe 1 or 2 games our entire offensive flow breaks down and our guards begin forcing bad shots.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 11-20-2014 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    I don't know how often people need to break down the play by play for the quarters or post the stats but is is absolutely true that jrue and evans become ball dominant in the fourth and AD is often heavily ignored.

I mean I honestly am having a hard time believing you can say you watched every game and haven't noticed the complete shift that happens in the fourth quarter. All but maybe 1 or 2 games our entire offensive flow breaks down and our guards begin forcing bad shots.
    I think people agree on the result - hard not to. But why? Is it all them or does the defense have something to do with it? When the game is on the line, do they ever lose Davis or do they actually pay more attention to him?

Obviously, Monty doesn't tell the guys to stop passing to AD. So, what happens?
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I think people agree on the result - hard not to. But why? Is it all them or does the defense have something to do with it? When the game is on the line, do they ever lose Davis or do they actually pay more attention to him?

Obviously, Monty doesn't tell the guys to stop passing to AD. So, what happens?
    It was clear as day that in the Portland game Jrue was still looking for AD when he put up those two stupid shot's in the paint.
    However Portland did a great job in covering AD and taking the chance that Jrue would miss his shots.

It was gamble that worked.
    It won't happen every game.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    It was clear as day that in the Portland game Jrue was still looking for AD when he put up those two stupid shot's in the paint.
    However Portland did a great job in covering AD and taking the chance that Jrue would miss his shots.

Yep. How I see it. AD gets his stuff in the flow of the game. When you try to force it to him, he just isn't nearly as effective. Opponents seem to focus on him late and make others beat them. I doubt Holiday goes 0-9 again if you give him those same shots.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post

This is exactly how I see it. Portland gave looks to our guards to keep the ball away from AD.

This is the entire reason teams need more than one go to guy on offense. Forcing the ball in to Davis wouldn't have been a good answer either.

People claim just toss it to him but we did that in the Spurs game and he wasn't effective when we forced it to him.

When the game is on the line teams are going to tighten up on AD. All we need is our guards to hit their looks and we no one would even be complaining.

When the other team doesn't give you what you want, sometimes you have to take it. Screens and picks and ball movement!

I don't agree, but the proof will bear itself out over the course of the season.

I think we are being trolled though by Monty.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Our guards still played into the hands of the Portland D. We did not force Portland to guard multiple actions for good shots. They took away Davis and we took what was there.. I get it. Sometimes you take what the defense gives you. Other times especially when we were up big with no reason to rush there is absolutely no need to take the first available shot, especially if it's one you can get later. We never forced Portland to rotate out of position, scramble out to a shooter and then recover on an attacking wing because of ball reversal. Simple stuff.

I don't think people are realistic with how average Davis is when we go to him in iso situations. We did it at the beginning of the Sacto game and it was ugly. He is still dependent for his offense and can be taken away if a team really wants to. Now, to take him away, you have to give our guards open shots, but you can do it. Up to the guards to hit those shots

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Remember, anytime Asik is in the game with Davis it makes life easier for AD and the rest of the team.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    Remember, anytime Asik is in the game with Davis it makes life easier for AD and the rest of the team.
    Not on offense. Team plays at a much slower pace and is less efficient on offense with Asik on the court. And this thread is all about the offense.

When the game is on the line teams are going to tighten up on AD. All we need is our guards to hit their looks and we no one would even be complaining.
    How dare you bring logic to this forum! You're banned for life!

Thread Information