Pelicans Report

Thread: AD's Game Style

Help AD's Game Style

Hey Guys, so something a little different to the typical FIRE MONTY! OUR GUARDS ARE ****! OMG WE SUCK WE CAN'T FINISH GAMES. With every second article written around AD these days, and the view points ranging from future GOAT, to not even on Blake's level, I have seen quite a few arguments bring up things like post game and ability to create. Nothing new here obviously, there has been plenty of discussion on what we want AD to "add" to his portfolio - 3 point, post game, etc etc. I was hoping to open up the conversation on AD's play style, and even in general - player roles, and styles.

I wanted to put a couple of questions to you lovely educated folk, to potentially further my knowledge and understanding, and just get some insight into other peoples minds and thoughts. Looking at who AD is, and everything he is doing, why would an improved post game improve him as a player now? More importantly would it change our team success, and on a less important note his crazy stat lines? In addressing this, perhaps we might also look at why it is such a negative that people say "AD can't create, look at his assisted score numbers".

I have seen arguments around playoffs, and how post game becomes more important at this time, but for where we are now, with AD at 21, does he really need the post game right now? Is it because AD doesn't fit any previous player molds that people want him to change his game? So that it fits more towards an existing player (for example - Duncan, or KG)? Is it really a fault of AD he has such high assisted score numbers? Or is it a sign of his brilliance and efficiency? His time per touch is quite low (last time I looked it was sitting at a similar point to Dirks I believe, apologies for not having it handy ), he generally gets his shots off quickly, makes his baskets the majority of the time, and rarely turns it over. On top, he puts himself into great positions and makes our guards job easier. An ideal kind of team mate.

In the long run of his career, his athleticism may wane, and I understand at this point he would be greatly benefited by being strong in the post, but I just don't understand why at 21, in only his 3rd year, it is such a large focus for people in examining how good he is as a basketball player. Watching the game tonight verse the Kings, Boogie was up against AD, Ajinca, and Ryno in the front court. Boogie is *considered* (not arguing for or against) one of the most dominant big men in the league currently, with his aggression and strength in the post (for all his other shortcomings in previous seasons and now). One would expect Boogie to eat us alive without Asik. Sure AD is great defensively, but he is giving up size and strength. and to assist him, our foul machine Ajinca. He put up 24 and 17 which I am not saying is crap, but they didn't walk away with the win despite winning various column battles (RBD, AST, FT). But is a dominant post game as important as people play it up to be, or is it simply just another tool in the toolbox, no more and no less important than the others?

A bunch of questions, jumping various directions and I certainly don't have all the answers, but was hoping the brains around could help me learn and understand other thought processes, and we could get some different conversation flowing. While there may be no right or wrong answer, all I ask is that you make an attempt at explaining the why behind your thoughts. Appreciate any and all responses

It's because people want the great to be greater, i don't think at this point of career a dominant post game is needed, however being a superstar you need offensive variation in your play, due to the greater attention from the defense onto the player. It's like how LeBron still needed to work on his jump shot, it's not a necessity because his always dominating but rather people wanting the unstoppable to become even more unstoppable. Although that being said, Davis has been focusing on his post play this year, as his countlessly positioning himself in the post more, rather than coming off pick n rolls

I would say that he has to be able to dominate his defender game in game out on his with the ball in his hand. The reason is that when you can't be stopped defenses have to adjust their game plan. Thus making it easier on the other 4 guys. Right now Davis gets the vast majority of his points through the system. Which is getting him easy dunks(for someone of Davis' athleticism) and open shots.

During the playoffs the opposing teams will only study that team and will focus all their attention to shutting down a teams system. This is when it's most important for a player to be able to create his own offense. This is why having a post game or face up game is so important for bigs.

Thread Information