Pelicans Report

Thread: Analysis of Jrue's 0-9, 0 AST 4th

Analysis of Jrue's 0-9, 0 AST 4th

New thread because I didn't want this to get buried in the rant threat. I was curious about Jrue's 0-9, 0 assist line in the 4th, so I went back to look at the video. I linked to video when I could (for the others, I had to go back to look at Ballstreams). Here are my notes:

When the game was on the line, Jrue went 0-7 (I'm not counting the 3PAs at 0:21 and 0:05 when the game was out of hand and we were just praying for a 3P).

FGA1. 9:13—P&R with Ajinca; Ryno screens Ajinca

Video: http://on.nba.com/1uqdBj0

This is one of those WTF plays. I think this one is on Ryno. It appears to be a P&R with Ajinca. At least, Ajinca sets the screen and appears to turn to roll, but Ryno is standing right there. Both bigs are taken out of the play, and Jrue is forced to improvise.

FGA2. 6:45—P&R with AD; Kobe assist (AD putback)

Video: http://on.nba.com/14Es7eP

Not a bad result.

FGA3. 6:12-Doesn’t use AD’s weak attempt at a screen; misses layup in traffic

Not sure what was supposed to happen here. This one could be on Coach, AD, or Jrue.

FGA4. 5:50-P&R with AD; AD is open for lob; Jrue misses him

FGA5. 4:54-P&P with AD; AD is open for mid-range; Jrue misses floater

This is one of those "six one way, half dozen the other" plays. Would you rather have a Jrue floater attempt or an AD mid-range attempt? Neither is an ideal shot, but neither is a terrible shot either.

FGA6. 1:35—P&R with AD; Blake, Lopez, and Aldridge all drop back; Ryno is wide open for 3 and calling for the ball and Jrue just misses him
    FGA7. 1:30—Jrue offensive rebound; misses easy reverse layup

Video: http://on.nba.com/1uDN3fM

As a PG, Jrue needs to recognize that when both big defenders are keyed in on him, then Ryno is open. Nice offensive rebound to clean up his mistake. The reverse layup was a good attempt that just didn't fall.

---

On most of these possessions, the roll/pop guy was available. However, Jrue didn't even attempt a pass on any of them. I think Lopez's length bothered Jrue quite a bit. On the bright side, he had 0 TOs. Jrue has clearly made it a point of emphasis to reduce his TOs this season (sorry for the big space here; I can't figure out how to remove it).

Season Age Tm G MP TOV%
    2009-10 19 PHI 73 1767 21.9
    2010-11 20 PHI 82 2901 16.7
    2011-12 21 PHI 65 2196 13.2
    2012-13 ★ 22 PHI 78 2926 17.3
    2013-14 23 NOP 34 1143 17.9
    2014-15 24 NOP 9 309 8.8
    Career 341 11242 16.8
    Provided by Basketball-Reference.com: View Original Table
    Generated 11/18/2014.

However, I think he played a little too conservatively this game. Remember this?

Just throw it up there and let AD go get it! RoLo and LMA are not going to stop him!

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Good breakdown man, thanks for doing this!

To be honest, I think all these guys are still trying to find their rhythm and pulse with this team still. They've played what, 9 games together as a complete unit (and you could say 8 as a complete unit, since Asik was out last night). I'd rather them do this now and figure out that it DOESN'T work than learn that later on. This team plays 3 very unselfish quarters of basketball, but, as the leader and foundation of the team, I think some of the onus is on Davis to demand the ball from his teammates in the 4th, especially when he's hot.

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    Good breakdown man, thanks for doing this!

To be honest, I think all these guys are still trying to find their rhythm and pulse with this team still. They've played what, 9 games together as a complete unit
    You can say that.. but dalas are 8-3 with a whole new starting line up, and these guys played games last season together, not completely foreign.

Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    You can say that.. but dalas are 8-3 with a whole new starting line up, and these guys played games last season together, not completely foreign.
    Dallas has is a year-in, year-out playoff contender with players that have all been there. Show me that in our team? Jrue is the only one with real playoff experience (in our starting line-up). Asik too I suppose, but he wasn't on the court yesterday. Whether you like it or not, comparing Dallas to us is apples to oranges.

This game still has me sick they need to dominate the Kings. This what shot a young team from a veteran team. A young team plays hero ball and lose composure and veteran team sticks to what got them the lead in the first place.

1-6

Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    This game still has me sick they need to dominate the Kings. This what shot a young team from a veteran team. A young team plays hero ball and lose composure and veteran team sticks to what got them the lead in the first place.
    It's called a learning experience. One thing I've noticed as a difference with this team THIS YEAR vs. LAST YEAR... we are winning the games we are supposed to win and losing close games. Gotta **** up and learn from somewhere.

I really hope Jrue and Tyreke learn from this.. i brought this exact point up against Dallas, Memphis and Spurs (http://www.pelicansreport.com/showth...these-guys)but no one really listened to me, and about time everyone has now realised and ranted about this issue.. hopefully they hear and understand our thoughts and finally play team basketball.

I really hope Jrue and Tyreke learn from this.. i brought this exact point up against Dallas, Memphis and Spurs (http://www.pelicansreport.com/showth...these-guys)but no one really listened to me, and about time everyone has now realised and ranted about this issue.. hopefully they hear and understand our thoughts and finally play team basketball.
    Weird, all against better teams. Where's the concern when we win?

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Thanks for being ahead of the curve, Panties 76.

Sorry, phone autocorrected. Pantazis*

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! NOLa.'s Avatar
    Oh. Muh. Gawd. glol

Thanks for doing this! good insight. You are right though, a lot of these Jrue shots aren't really bad looks (relatively), he just struggled to finish in traffic. Still, Jrue is only 24 and has been working on his turnovers, so I like to see the silver lining there. I hope to see AD be more vocal at the end of these games.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    A rookie Chris Paul would have handled this game just fine.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Jrue is awesome. He'll learn from this. He'll adjust. It's early.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    We get flustered when teams take away our 1st or 2nd options of our initial actions. If a team sags on AD as the rollman, the ballhandler has to attack the gap or kick it to the floor spacer decisively. If the floor spacer gets the kick out he has to shoot it or reverse it back to the ballhandler decisively. The ballhandler can either swing it to the other floor spacer or attack the rotating defense. This can happen 2 or 3 times or more with 20 secs on the shot clock. The problem is between Jrue, Ryan, Tyreke and a lesser extent Gordon (whose been willing, but struggling) this is not happening. When they get the ball in these situations, especially when the game is tight, if the initial action isn't there they resort forcing things. Jrue is smoother at improvising than Tyreke or Ryan, but they are all guilty. These three guys do not move the ball consistently when they get the ball in a pressure situation.

We also can't forget that he hounded Damian Lillard for 39 minutes last night, the most he's played all season. Lillard finished 7-18 from the field, 2-7 from 3, with 4 turnovers. If he doesn't get to the line 8 times (can be contributed to having to play Ajinca and Ryno longer minutes) he would've had a downright terrible game.

Seemed like Jrue just kind of lost his legs at the end of that game, and our spacing seemed pretty terrible. For some reason Ryno kept rolling to the rim off of picks, and it didn't seem like Jrue or anyone else expected him to. It looked like we were trying to get the ball to AD, but Rolo was basically pushing him out to the 3-point line before he would even receive the ball.

Jrue should turn in back around tonight but I wouldn't expect him to play more than 35 minutes on the second night of a back to back. He has been feasting on shorter point guards this year, and Collison shouldn't be an exception tonight.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jrue_grit View Post
    Thanks for doing this! good insight. You are right though, a lot of these Jrue shots aren't really bad looks (relatively), he just struggled to finish in traffic. Still, Jrue is only 24 and has been working on his turnovers, so I like to see the silver lining there. I hope to see AD be more vocal at the end of these games.
    This. In situations like this we need a team leader. One guy that says, Hey GIVE ME THE ****ING BALL, and the other guys listen to him. Right now the guy who touches it first just drives and misses, usually Reke, but in this case it was Jrue. We need to be able to still move the ball in crunch time and run plays. This is on both Monty and AD for not being vocal enough and making sure the entire team knows their roles and what they are supposed to do when the **** hits the fan.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Why is it the responsibility of Monty or AD to make sure another player is running the offense? You guys make these comments and it's like you don't think about them. How is a coach supposed to physically make someone make a smarter decision? Can you make the guy next to put his phone down while he's driving? You have to teach, correct and rinse and repeat until they either get it or you're forced to make a business decision to part ways. 9 games is simply not enough time to talk like that

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    Why is it the responsibility of Monty or AD to make sure another player is running the offense? You guys make these comments and it's like you don't think about them. How is a coach supposed to physically make someone make a smarter decision? Can you make the guy next to put his phone down while he's driving? You have to teach, correct and rinse and repeat until they either get it or you're forced to make a business decision to part ways. 9 games is simply not enough time to talk like that
    Quite simple, sit them. Popovich does it all the time. It emabarasses mostly. if they want to act like children and want their way, treat them like children.

Sorry, phone autocorrected. Pantazis*
    What, your phone didn't come up with Pantazis as it's first choice word?

Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    What, your phone didn't come up with Pantazis as it's first choice word?

Weird.
    It's programmed in there now. So now when I'm chitchatting with my homies about "which pair of Pantazis I should get: fuchsia or magenta"... They Gunna look at me like "Wtf is a Pantazis?"

The analysis is always so well done. Nice breakdown.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Thread Information