Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Coaching and managing the egos and basketball IQ of this team

Quote Originally Posted by billfromfinance View Post
    It is accomplishing a season start record of 6-4 / .600, which amazingly has us last in our division because the Southwest is bloody ridiculous. We are 8th in the conference, this team isn't performing as bad as everyone makes out. Everyone is more than welcome to re-watch the 2013-14 season........
    It also puts ten times more pressure on A. Davis to pick up their slack. Men are not machines, and this will soon take its toll!

The main question here is----what would the record be without Anthony Davis? My best generous estimate is 1 and 9. Unless something good happens, it's going to be like Patrick Euwing and the Knicks. Karl Malone and the Jazz, or Charles Barkley and the 76ers. I am hoping this does not happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicopter View Post
    Look at coaches like Phil Jackson or Gregg Popovich and how they manage their teams with multiple big names.

We have Gordon, Jrue, Evans, and AD all on the same team. They have enormous contracts for each of them. What results is hero ball, every guy thinks they're the main star on the team.

Did you see tonight's game how JRue and Evans hogged the ball? There was zero passing on the team, there was zero play development! They let the Blazers build momentum and let it get to them.

Good coaches manage the game, they keep their players calm and focused, THEY BENCH BALL HOGS and they manage the egos on and off the court.

Look at good NBA teams and how they run well machined offensive schemes. Look at ours where it's like playground ball - everyone just get open or whatever.
    So first we were complaining about Monty getting on players too hard trying to micromanage things and want the players to be more free to make good decisions. Now after Monty has worked with the Team USA coaches (coach K and others) and learned that he needs to trust his players more to make decisions for themselves but still following a guideline we get mad? When you have the players that we do any of them can be the guy that saves a game and put up major points fast. So why not let them try unless they are literally not passing to the open man.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    It's all about perspective. We have hung around with every team we have faced this year. All our losses have been to playoff teams and none were blow outs.

It's clear from a talent level we are right there. It's simply chemistry and experience we are lacking. Something time should fix.

Wins are great and I'd love to have gotten one last night, but it still SUPER early in the season. Lots of basketball guys.
    Thank you for this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
    oh god we're back to blaming monty for everything
    Dude everything is Monty's fault. ISIS is Monty's fault. The dude wearing the 8 ball jacket that slapped the chick on the subway is Monty's fault. Tyreke missing about 80% of his layups... all on Monty. Players will never be held accountable for how they play, and when the team is playing great... its because they're totally ignoring everything Monty says and coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by OLDGREYSTUD View Post
    It also puts ten times more pressure on A. Davis to pick up their slack. Men are not machines, and this will soon take its toll!
    OK I think i must be disconnected from what you are arguing, could you clarify what exactly it is you are wanting?

Quote Originally Posted by billfromfinance View Post
    OK I think i must be disconnected from what you are arguing, could you clarify what exactly it is you are wanting?
    Yes: I do see the hall of fame magic that A. Davis posses & demonstrates on the court. However, those around him are far behind him in their individual areas of responsibilities. Wether it be thru coaching, or what ever means necessary, I would just like to see this wide gap narrowed. I just feel like more could be done to correct this, rather than to sit by and simply say that time will take care of it.

It just seems that when teams pack the paint late in games we don't adapt. It's almost like we have no plan B which can be attributed to Monty. We can't rely on guard penetration for the full 48. We have to mix in more passing and our 3 point shooters need to start making shots late in the game. As for our players, they need to stop making me pull my freakin hair out with their boneheaded mistakes. I think there is equal blame between the coach and the players. Luckily we are talented enough to pull games out of our asses.

So wait, Is the argument that star NBA players in their late teens-late 20s who have never been anything but the top dog just look at pop and Phil Jackson and say OK, this old white guy knows what he's doing.... obviously I'll just completely change my game to his whim?

Pau was a bonefide star on his own team... who happened to be paired up with the greatest player in the world and was also a team first player.

Pop fails at his high-risk acquisitions as much as he succeeds. Remember Stephen Jackson was supposed to be what Boris Diaw is. Diaw was a pass-first player who moved from a shoot-first system to a pass-first system.

Derrick Fisher took probably 30% as many end-of-game shots as Kobe.... should he not have?
    -Why did he? Did stupid-a** Phil draw up a play for Fish? Or did the defense key in on their best player, giving a secondary player an open J?

MM, we need a post explaining how the options in a basketball play work. I think lots of people don't realize that Monty could call 20 plays in a row with AD as the first option, and if the defense sucks in on him, he might not get a single shot. I can't wait for Hubie to call a close Pels game so he can shed some insight.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicantoo View Post
    So wait, Is the argument that star NBA players in their late teens-late 20s who have never been anything but the top dog just look at pop and Phil Jackson and say OK, this old white guy knows what he's doing.... obviously I'll just completely change my game to his whim?

Pau was a bonefide star on his own team... who happened to be paired up with the greatest player in the world and was also a team first player.

Pop fails at his high-risk acquisitions as much as he succeeds. Remember Stephen Jackson was supposed to be what Boris Diaw is. Diaw was a pass-first player who moved from a shoot-first system to a pass-first system.

Derrick Fisher took probably 30% as many end-of-game shots as Kobe.... should he not have?
    -Why did he? Did stupid-a** Phil draw up a play for Fish? Or did the defense key in on their best player, giving a secondary player an open J?

MM, we need a post explaining how the options in a basketball play work. I think lots of people don't realize that Monty could call 20 plays in a row with AD as the first option, and if the defense sucks in on him, he might not get a single shot. I can't wait for Hubie to call a close Pels game so he can shed some insight.
    I think I can tell people this and show them this until I am blue in the face, but when people have their mind made up it doesn't matter. I mean, most people know football better than basketball, so they should know this. Jimmy Graham might be the first option on a play, but if a team is playing Cover 3, then the X receiver might be the correct read. Cover 4 and it might be the RB. Man to Man and you target the rookie corner covering the veteran Colston on some kind of an option route. Etc., etc., etc.

I mean, sports fans know this. They have to. But they ignore it if they have a vendetta.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I think I can tell people this and show them this until I am blue in the face, but when people have their mind made up it doesn't matter. I mean, most people know football better than basketball, so they should know this. Jimmy Graham might be the first option on a play, but if a team is playing Cover 3, then the X receiver might be the correct read. Cover 4 and it might be the RB. Man to Man and you target the rookie corner covering the veteran Colston on some kind of an option route. Etc., etc., etc.

I mean, sports fans know this. They have to. But they ignore it if they have a vendetta.
    Yeah, that makes sense, but also makes me sad. It almost makes me nostalgic for the past few years when people had no expectations and nothing to complain about, so we were able to look at something like the "horns" set and analyze it for what it was.

PR's Dream Coach, Timeout: "Okay guys, we need a bucket. Let's run the horns set, Tyreke, drop the ball off to AD..... Jrue, flash around the top of the Key...... AD, hand the ball off to Jrue.... Jrue, if your man drops below the screen and Ad's man sags to cut off the pass, MAKE SURE YOU FORCE THE BALL INTO AD ON A DOUBLE TEAM..... whatever you do, DON'T TAKE AN OPEN 15 FOOTER."

Its any form of entertainment. There are people who can go to the movies and appreciate the art and subtle things a director or actor does, and there are those who just go to be entertained and don't want to spend their time getting more in depth. It used to make me said too. Now, I just accept it

I don't want to force the ball to AD when he can't be successful. I want to see more effort made to free him up so he can be successful. The same applies to Ryan Anderson. Our team does not move off the ball like San Antonio. What movement we have is typically moving toward the ball for a hand-off, or a kick-out or dump-down off a drive. Ryan and AD float to open spots and hope for an opening to receive the pass and hope for a willing and able passer. In contrast, Ray Allen will often run through 3 or 4 screens on one possession that are set to free him from his man, and someone passes him the ball for his three. Those screens are not just at the top of the key, but all over the court. I see very little of that action from our team, and want to see more for both Ryan and AD. Of course, Jrue and Gordon could also be the shooter in such as case.

Quote Originally Posted by NOEngineer View Post
    I don't want to force the ball to AD when he can't be successful. I want to see more effort made to free him up so he can be successful. The same applies to Ryan Anderson. Our team does not move off the ball like San Antonio. What movement we have is typically moving toward the ball for a hand-off, or a kick-out or dump-down off a drive. Ryan and AD float to open spots and hope for an opening to receive the pass and hope for a willing and able passer. In contrast, Ray Allen will often run through 3 or 4 screens on one possession that are set to free him from his man, and someone passes him the ball for his three. Those screens are not just at the top of the key, but all over the court. I see very little of that action from our team, and want to see more for both Ryan and AD. Of course, Jrue and Gordon could also be the shooter in such as case.
    We don't do those things but we also do other things in a very effective manner. You run a play trying to free up one guy like that, and what happens when he doesn't get free? Now you got 8 left on the shot clock and no plan.

This magical Spurs team that you speak of - the Pels have a higher offensive rating than they had last year. Same goes for any team Ray Allen has been on the last few years.

You can easily point out things a team doesn't do well. Even San Antonio fans can (and will) do that. It will never be perfect. But sometimes you also have to take the time to note all the things a team does do well. This team has an offensive rating of 111.7 this year and have missed a ton of wide open shots and free throws. They must be doing something right. I would like to see more 'Rant' posts on this board about the things that are being done well.

Quote Originally Posted by NOEngineer View Post
    I could be wrong on this, but I think most teams have "sharpshooter" sets that they run to get their best 3p shooter an open look. This can be the ray allen, reggie miller-types, or the Kevin love, Channing Frye-types. I'm not sure Ryan would be effective in a play like this, since he might lose his legs and I have no idea who's going to chop Ryno's man on the 2nd or 3rd screen. Instead, Ryan picks-and-pops and trails on fast breaks, very akin to K-Love or Frye. We did run sets like that for Morrow last year, but I'm not sure anyone on our team is that kind of guy.

Thread Information