Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Coaching and managing the egos and basketball IQ of this team

Coaching and managing the egos and basketball IQ of this team

Look at coaches like Phil Jackson or Gregg Popovich and how they manage their teams with multiple big names.

We have Gordon, Jrue, Evans, and AD all on the same team. They have enormous contracts for each of them. What results is hero ball, every guy thinks they're the main star on the team.

Did you see tonight's game how JRue and Evans hogged the ball? There was zero passing on the team, there was zero play development! They let the Blazers build momentum and let it get to them.

Good coaches manage the game, they keep their players calm and focused, THEY BENCH BALL HOGS and they manage the egos on and off the court.

Look at good NBA teams and how they run well machined offensive schemes. Look at ours where it's like playground ball - everyone just get open or whatever.

oh god we're back to blaming monty for everything

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
    Sigh...

Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
    He is not managing the players well. He is not making the team focus on AD especially in the 4th. AD is the clutch star of the team and you always make plays for those guys in crucial situations. He let JRue and Tyreke hog it up.

Please explain how this isn't the coach, when everything stems from his decisions in game and managing players on and off the court? Developing their basketball IQ? Setting up plays?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicopter View Post
    He is not managing the players well. He is not making the team focus on AD especially in the 4th. AD is the clutch star of the team and you always make plays for those guys in crucial situations. He let JRue and Tyreke hog it up.

Please explain how this isn't the coach, when everything stems from his decisions in game and managing players on and off the court? Developing their basketball IQ? Setting up plays?
    TBH basketball IQ is a natural thing, and i think we just have two bums on this team who ruin games for us when it matters most, i don't really see coaching as an issue this year, because we are not getting blown out... i just see some really questionable things from tyreke and jrue and i really hope this is the last time we see it all year, because we saw it against cleveland, memphis, dallas and spurs and quite frankly i've had my yearly dose already.

Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    TBH basketball IQ is a natural thing, and i think we just have two bums on this team who ruin games for us when it matters most, i don't really see coaching as an issue this year, because we are not getting blown out... i just see some really questionable things from tyreke and jrue and i really hope this is the last time we see it all year, because we saw it against cleveland, memphis, dallas and spurs and quite frankly i've had my yearly dose already.
    OK we all see it. Does Monty? If so, what is he going to do about it? That's my point.

I have faith in Monty, our defense is solid. Just wish we had more plays run for AD

Quote Originally Posted by Drew&Jrue View Post
    I have faith in Monty, our defense is solid. Just wish we had more plays run for AD
    We do run plays for A.D.. Jrue and Tyreke just don't give it to him.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    OK we all see it. Does Monty? If so, what is he going to do about it? That's my point.
    I'd rather lose a 17 pt lead and lose by 7 than try to prove a point and lose by 25 end to end. Our options after Reke and Jrue are not going to keep us competitive. We just have to roll with it and hope that Monty and Co. are teaching diligently.

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    I'd rather lose a 17 pt lead and lose by 7 than try to prove a point and lose by 25 end to end. Our options after Reke and Jrue are not going to keep us competitive. We just have to roll with it and hope that Monty and Co. are teaching diligently.
    Why don't they teach in games? Why don't we see Monty getting upset at their play and ball hogging?

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Why don't they teach in games? Why don't we see Monty getting upset at their play and ball hogging?
    Monty has his priorities and if you listen to him you'll understand. He's a man of conviction and faith and I totally understand that he doesn't undress players in front of the world. That's HIS style. I may not agree, but Dell and co. don't seem to mind, so why should I? This team deserves a chance to get it together. Frustrating as it is, 9 games isn't enough and with AD developing there's time to figure it out. I have my suspicions that some of our moves won't work out, and if I see that I'm sure management is thinking of their backup plans as we speak. But they are under no obligation to throw red meat at fans that want blood now. Tyreke and Jrue will figure it out or they'll be gone just like every other less than smart ball player that's been here during this regime.

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    Monty has his priorities and if you listen to him you'll understand. He's a man of conviction and faith and I totally understand that he doesn't undress players in front of the world. That's HIS style. I may not agree, but Dell and co. don't seem to mind, so why should I? This team deserves a chance to get it together. Frustrating as it is, 9 games isn't enough and with AD developing there's time to figure it out. I have my suspicions that some of our moves won't work out, and if I see that I'm sure management is thinking of their backup plans as we speak. But they are under no obligation to throw red meat at fans that want blood now. Tyreke and Jrue will figure it out or they'll be gone just like every other less than smart ball player that's been here during this regime.
    I hope you're right

Monty is not one to knee jerk react, nor get overly emotional during games. There are 82 games in the season, we are in a ridiculously strong Division, and Conference, and this team isn't winning a championship this year. We have two core pieces of the current team returning from long stretches without even playing (ryno and jrue), Reke and Gordon playing new roles, a new center, and an up and coming superstar killing it. We aren't going to win every game. as frustrating as it is in watching brain farts, hero ball, and leads turn to deficits, it is all part of the team learning. Monty cannot magically make guys stop bad behaviours in a couple of games. These things need to be worked on. Look at some of the positives - we didn't have our starting center but still won 2nd and 3rd quarter, lost 1st by 1 point. 3 good quarters. ajinca played 16 minutes with 4 fouls. 16 minutes! Gordon shot 4-6 on FG's, with 2-2 on 3pt. In 38 minutes Davis had 31pts (14-20FG) 11rbds, 3 ast, 3stl, 3blk, 0 TO. he

Comparing Monty to Phil and Pop just seems silly. People management is difficult, and people in those positions generally have strengths in certain areas. They can't be awesome at everything.
    Last edited by billfromfinance; 11-18-2014 at 02:23 AM.

Was it Monty's fault that we played so well for 3 qtrs? We are young. Monty js young. You have to take the good and bad. Monty has been much better so far this year. Monty has improved and is still learning our guys. RELAX. Enjoy the team. Jrue has played incredible for the last 7 of 8 qtrs. he is also 23 and will learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

God I couldn't sleep last night. I'm not sure how you swallow a loss like that as the most intense and die hard fan, untill/unless we win tonight I'll never get over this one. It's certainly a way to make your day go 10 times slower.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar

Banned
    Monty is the Bob Huggins of the NBA. Great at preparing for the game but not the best at coaching it.

This team misses its Jason Smith, GV, DX, CP3, George Lynch types. Those glue guys tend to also be the ones most willing to go and fight you if you aren't with it.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by MMEmbreno View Post
    God I couldn't sleep last night. I'm not sure how you swallow a loss like that as the most intense and die hard fan, untill/unless we win tonight I'll never get over this one. It's certainly a way to make your day go 10 times slower.
    Perspective; You realize there are 82 games.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

It's all about perspective. We have hung around with every team we have faced this year. All our losses have been to playoff teams and none were blow outs.

It's clear from a talent level we are right there. It's simply chemistry and experience we are lacking. Something time should fix.

Wins are great and I'd love to have gotten one last night, but it still SUPER early in the season. Lots of basketball guys.

Go back and watch the highlights from the game last year when we beat the Blazers at home and Jrue basically took over the game. Don't overreact after one game. The difference in this one is that it was a game on the road. We're a very young team who played in one of the toughest arenas in the NBA. We missed a lot of open shots in the 4th last night, and some of this can be contributed to playing on the road. When the momentum swung last night at the end of the 3rd, the team did not really know how to handle it. Better to lose these games now so Monty can teach, then to lose them at the end of the season in the playoff race.

Do people not realize we are playing another NBA team during these games? It's like unless we go undefeated which nothing is ok and I doubt 82-0 would be enough for some people. We are complaining about some of the youngest up and coming stars in the league. To even have a lead on those teams mentioned is great in itself. Just remember we are playing other teams also that are trying to win games just like us.

The PLAYERS shot 4-24?
    Season ticket holder since 2002
    Mostly just trying to satisfy my OCD tendencies by getting to 3,000 posts

Ok. For a couch to continually play and develop players, game in and game out, that are performing poorly, who have absolutely no future with the franchise, seems very, very unwise. Not only for the franchise, but also for the other players who languish on the bench. What is this accomplishing?????

It is accomplishing a season start record of 6-4 / .600, which amazingly has us last in our division because the Southwest is bloody ridiculous. We are 8th in the conference, this team isn't performing as bad as everyone makes out. Everyone is more than welcome to re-watch the 2013-14 season........

Thread Information