Pelicans Report

View Poll Results: Do you think the new Charlotte Hornets have the right to use our history books?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

20 62.50%
  • No

12 37.50%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one who has a problem with the handling of the new Charlotte Hornets?

Rant Am I the only one who has a problem with the handling of the new Charlotte Hornets?

Let me start this off by saying I LOVE what Charlotte has done by bringing the name Hornets back to the city and trying to create a "new buzz", But I do not agree with the way they have handled the history behind the Charlotte Hornets.

The New Charlotte Hornets are always bragging about alonzo Mourning and Musggy Bogues and a lot of other players that played for the old Charlotte Hornets, But the truth is WE are the Charlotte Hornets and I believe they have no right to use things that happened under OUR franchise. I understand they're trying to get something started up again in Charlotte.... But using the franchise of the New Orleans Pelicans is not the way to do it. Just because the Pelicans may have once been settled in the city of Charlotte that gives them no right to use our history books to refer back to the great Charlotte Hornets.

Maybe I'm just crazy, but let me know what you think!

Banned
    Records should clearly belong to cities and not NAMES of teams. However, if all our players were to get up and move to a new city and the club as well, I imagine the records should go with them too.

It's not our history. Officialy our team history starts in 2002. before that, it's all Charlotte.

http://www.nba.com/hornets/charlotte...urns-carolinas

"In addition, the team announced that after collaborating with the NBA and the New Orleans Pelicans, all of the statistical information, records and history of Charlotte NBA basketball will also be returning to the franchise. The Hornets will now own and have access to all of the historical elements from not only the Bobcats era (2004-2014) but also the original Hornets era in Charlotte (1988-2002). The Pelicans will maintain the history and statistics beginning with the team’s first season in New Orleans (2002-03)."

HERE'S PIERRE!!

New Orleans Jazz history stays in Utah
    Minneapolis history stays in LA

There's no precedent for a team re-claiming their their city's (and another franchise's) old mascot. There is also no history for any team taking another team's history in the NBA. I agree with OP.

There's no good argument for Charlotte having the old Hornets' history. I understand people who don't care... but I don't understand people who argue the opposite.

well does that mean when we were the oklahoma/new orleans hornets that oklahoma city gets our records?

I think it's got more to do with our organization being awesome and benevolent to let Charlotte take back those history records, when really we didn't have to do any of that
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Impossible. The octopus that lives in my brain hasn't squibbered anything about it to me.

Also, that's how octopi talk. They squibber. Yes, it's a word. Shut up.

I'm still Perth Hornet but I detest anything Bobcats related.

I can't even work it out myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicantoo View Post
    New Orleans Jazz history stays in Utah
    Minneapolis history stays in LA

There's no precedent for a team re-claiming their their city's (and another franchise's) old mascot. There is also no history for any team taking another team's history in the NBA. I agree with OP.

There's no good argument for Charlotte having the old Hornets' history. I understand people who don't care... but I don't understand people who argue the opposite.
    there is now. Charlotte has it. move on.

Quote Originally Posted by SAINTS26 View Post
    well does that mean when we were the oklahoma/new orleans hornets that oklahoma city gets our records?
    no. everything post 2002 is ours. including the time in oklahoma. the team was still New Orleans then.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    The stuff that didn't happen here should stay there. Hell, I don't even wanna remember that Baron Davis existed, but that part we have to own. Chris Paul, David West, Marcus Thornton, Dan Dickau, Robert "Tractor" Traylor, and obviously ,the legend himself, Ryan Bowen. All their works are for our recollection.

I'm a fan of this team because of the Charlotte team. It stinks that the reason I'm a fan is because of LJ, 'Zo, and Mugsy even though the 'history' now belongs back in Charlotte. I don't care where the team plays, they'll be my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    I'm a fan of this team because of the Charlotte team. It stinks that the reason I'm a fan is because of LJ, 'Zo, and Mugsy even though the 'history' now belongs back in Charlotte. I don't care where the team plays, they'll be my favorite.
    This

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    It just shouldn't matter. If you liked the Hornets of Charlotte then followed them here then you were now technically fans of two different franchises according to the record books. It's purely semantics. You know who you rooted for and it's not like they took a championship banner or anything. Just let it go.
    @DanielVeuleman

I'm not from Charlotte so I couldn't possibly care less
    Those hornets teams might as well be the Rochester royals for what relevance they have to me
    Pelicans history started when the team moved here

Quote Originally Posted by cgrand View Post
    I'm not from Charlotte so I couldn't possibly care less
    Those hornets teams might as well be the Rochester royals for what relevance they have to me
    Pelicans history started when the team moved here
    I disagree. You're disregarding all those fan who started off as Hornets fans and followed the franchise through name and city changes.

It's been very hard on us!

I started following the Hornets in about '93 and I feel as passionate about today's Pelicans as I did 21 years ago.

yep the 90s hornets were what brought me to the nba. now the pelicans is where I am at, and that's an awesome place to be with this team, and big AD leading the way. love what they have done with the new hornets re:branding, court, this years lineup. if anything, its even better because I now have a team in the East I can support that isn't just some random pick. but when we play them, they better not win haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    I disagree. You're disregarding all those fan who started off as Hornets fans and followed the franchise through name and city changes.

I started following the Hornets in about '93 and I feel as passionate about today's Pelicans as I did 21 years ago.
    You didn't move back to the Hornets. Why is that? I'm curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post

For sure, but i don't think he's saying you can't feel that way. I kind of feel like him TBH, the only history i'm worried about is when they came here when I supported them. But i can empathize with someone who's kind of followed the moves and been here.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    You didn't move back to the Hornets. Why is that? I'm curious.
    For me, it's because I don't know that franchise. I know their name, uniform, and court design but I don't keep up on the ins and outs of the franchise. Theyre just another team now. Pels are my franchise. Even if they have a different name and wear different colors.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    For me, it's because I don't know that franchise. I know their name, uniform, and court design but I don't keep up on the ins and outs of the franchise. Theyre just another team now. Pels are my franchise. Even if they have a different name and wear different colors.
    Thanks. That makes sense. You're invested in this team now.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    I thought after the rebrand this would be over......... Everyone was so hellbent on shedding the Hornets and making something our own... now we are trying to cling to the past of a team that didn't even play here for us.

Maybe it's not a big deal to me because I didn't care much about the Charlotte Hornets when they were the Hornets. I followed the team once they came here.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    I don't get why anyone would be upset about that. Before 2002 had nothing to do with New Orleans.

I think they have every right to the players that played for the Charlotte Hornets. I'd find it more than a little odd if they wanted to brag on Chris Paul and David West, though.

What happened in Charlotte belongs in Charlotte. What happens here belongs here. Nothing against the original Hornets or the city of Charlotte but why would we want the history of a team and players that didn't play a minute of basketball in New Orleans?

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Charlotte keeps Charlotte history.
    NOLA keeps NOLA history.

While I don't like the new uniforms/logo, I LOVE the beehive court.

There's a pretty long history of sports history running with the city more than with the franchise. Even the Pelicans have retired Pete Maravich's number.

Thread Information