Pelicans Report

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9

Thread: It was fun while it lasted for Jimmer...

Isn't Hilton with the Warriors?
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Jimmer didn't have any real opportunities to shoot. Rivers got hot and Jimmer was kind of a non-factor on offense

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanned View Post
    I don't know a single team that doesn't have plays drawn up for their best shooter (and yes, Jimmer's a better career shooter than Ryno), regardless of where they sit in the rotation. Every great team has a shooter play that is used often and liberally used during games.

If Monty's the kind of coach that doesn't believe in drawing up plays for his best shooter(s), then perhaps he's not mentally fit for the NBA.
    Ryno's TS% is 56.5% compared to Jimmer's 52.9%. There's no argument Ryno is the better shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Isn't Hilton with the Warriors?
    Your guess is as good as mine

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Ryno's TS% is 56.5% compared to Jimmer's 52.9%. There's no argument Ryno is the better shooter.
    When we talk about "shooters", we don't include dunks, layups or field goals under the rim. That would be unfair since Ryno plants himself under or near the basket most of the night. And points scored under the basket are generally easier to convert than long range shots as they require less skill.

So the best way to determine your best shooter is to go by 3pt %, not total FG %.

Over the last 3 years
    Anderson: 39%
    Fredette: 42%

If you compare last season when Jimmer has started to feel comfortable in the league you get this:
    Anderson: 41%
    Fredette: 48% (best in the entire league)

And, for the record, Jimmer's FG% was better than Anderson's last season as well. 47% to 44% respectively.

No question, Jimmer is hands down our best shooter.
    Last edited by Pelicanned; 11-06-2014 at 10:09 AM.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    When we talk about "shooters", we don't include dunks, layups or field goals under the rim. That would be unfair since Ryno plants himself under or near the basket most of the night. And points scored under the basket are generally easier to convert than long range shots as they require less skill.

So the best way to determine your best shooter is to go by 3pt %, not total FG %.

Over the last 3 years

If you compare last season when Jimmer has started to feel comfortable in the league you get this:

And, for the record, Jimmer's FG% was better than Anderson's last season as well. 47% to 44% respectively.

Apparently you don't know what TS% is.

In basketball, true shooting percentage is an APBRmetrics statistic that measures a player's efficiency at shooting the ball. It is intended to more accurately calculate a player's shooting than field goal percentage, free throw percentage, and three-point field goal percentage taken individually.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    Apparently you don't know what TS% is.
    Yeah, apparently I do. Everyone I know, when using the word "shooter", refers to long range shooters, not guy shooting free throws or scoring buckets under or near the rim.

Jimmer is the better shooter when taking raw 3 pt shooting last season. TS% mingles with other factors that have nothing to do with the 3pt stat like free throws and fg%. Jimmer led the entire league last season in 3pt % at 48%. No BS TS% stat changes that fact. Like I said, standard FG% shouldn't be factored into this.

Check this blog and this blog and this blog for more info. TS% is a very sketchy metric.
    Last edited by Pelicanned; 11-06-2014 at 10:35 AM.

Yeah, apparently I do. Everyone I know, when using the word "shooter", refers to long range shooters, not guy shooting free throws or scoring buckets under or near the rim.
    Why not just say 3 pointers then and never use the term shooter? The word "shooter" refers to the ability to shoot the ball no matter the range. TS% it is not weighted to boost layups or buckets near the rim so stop saying that.

Jimmer led the entire league last season in 3pt % at 48%. No BS TS% stat changes that fact.
    Incorrect. Jimmer didn't even qualify. If we take into account players that aren't qualified then you would again still be incorrect.

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/pl...ualified/false

Jimmer played somewhere around 60% of a seasons worth of games last year and didn't qualify. Anderson played in only 22 games, a little over 1/4 the season, and qualified.

Why not just say 3 pointers then and never use the term shooter? The word "shooter" refers to the ability to shoot the ball no matter the range. TS% it is not weighted to boost layups or buckets near the rim so stop saying that.
    Careful there. So you're saying that because Shaquille O'neal had a great FG% under the rim, he's a great "shooter"? There are lots of guys that are great underneath, but couldn't hit the broad side of a barn behind 15 feet. Only in your mind is a "shooter" defined by someone who can only hit within 5 feet.

And TS% absolutely takes buckets near the rim into account. It measures the amount of points scored per field goal attempt (FGA) or trip to the line. The points are multiplied by 100 and FGA are multiplied by two to match the conventions of FG% (FG% = FG*100/FGA).... Field goal percentage in basketball is the ratio of field goals made to field goals attempted. Its abbreviation is FG%. Although three-point field goal percentage is often calculated separately, three-point field goals are included in the general field goal percentage.
    Last edited by Pelicanned; 11-06-2014 at 10:48 AM.

Hell yeah, we know marcin gortat is the best 3pt shooter! Who cares about fredette? Can he say he had 100% on ALL three point attempt(s) last season? Don't think so. The polish terror did it

I would love to hear just one reason for why TS% is a "sketchy metric". Just one.

Weirdest thing I have heard all day
    @mcnamara247

Everyone knows that "qualified" is just the NBA's way of making sure the 3pt contest doesn't have 100 guys competing. That wouldn't quite work for television.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I would love to hear just one reason for why TS% is a "sketchy metric". Just one.

Weirdest thing I have heard all day
    I posted links to 3 blogs with quite a few reasons. Try reading them.

Careful there. So you're saying that because Shaquille O'neal had a great FG% under the rim, he's a great "shooter"? There are lots of guys that are great underneath, but couldn't hit the broad side of a barn behind 15 feet. Only in your mind is a "shooter" defined by someone who can only hit within 5 feet.
    No, you just can't read. "TS% it is not weighted to boost layups or buckets near the rim so stop saying that."

No, you just can't read. "TS% it is not weighted to boost layups or buckets near the rim so stop saying that."
    This coming from the guy who thinks Shaq is a shooter. I'll just ignore your opinion from now on.

Everyone knows that "qualified" is just the NBA's way of making sure the 3pt contest doesn't have 100 guys competing. That wouldn't quite work for television.
    Yeah that's not it. Almost every time they mention stats on tv with percentages they almost always say something at the bottom like

*Of players who shot x number of shots
    You think they only do that because of the 3pt contest? No it's because if you average out to make 1 shot or less a game who cares what the average is?

This coming from the guy who thinks Shaq is a shooter. I'll just ignore your opinion from now on.
    You clearly have reading comprehension problems, so I'll drop it. Didn't think I was conversing with a middle schooler, my mistake, gave you the benefit of the doubt.

When I think of shooter I think of not just planted behind the 3pt line. I want the person most efficient in putting the ball in the basket while taking a shot from anywhere.

The whole point of TS% is to get an accurate measurement of just that. Their true shooting skill.

The best pure shooter on our team is Ryno. 3pt shooter? Maybe you have an argument but Jimmer isn't our best pure shooter so the notion that "HE MUST HAVE PLAYS DRAWN UP FOR HIM." Is idiotic.

Even if he was it's still idiotic. He isn't a main piece of our team and deserves or demands NOTHING. He has one job, hit shots when the ball has been passed to him, and he has failed horribly so far this year.

Over the last 3 years

Please stop using the word "our" when referring to this team.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conroy View Post
    I feel like I'm wasting my time compared to Sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    I think Sound just upped the standards in the league.
    GM of the Year

Just a reminder that Dirk's shooting chart last season was insane. I think there was only one area of the court where he wasn't a top shooter.

So awesome to look at.

Thread Information