Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: It was fun while it lasted for Jimmer...

Banned

It was fun while it lasted for Jimmer...

The preseason was fun for us Jimmer fans, seeing as how he played really well at times. However, just like the rest of his career, his mistakes are magnified and he is benched without cause. He missed shots in the first game, then comes out and gets 3 minutes. During those 3 minutes, I think he touched the ball once and it led to free throws for Asik. On defense, he got beat once and took a charge another time.

It was fun for us Jimmer fans, but we know this all too well.

I hope he goes overseas and becomes a star.

It's a conspiracy!

I for one would much rather have him in the game than Eric Gordon.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalosaint View Post
    I for one would much rather have him in the game than Eric Gordon.
    That'd take basketball intelligence.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by -jlam- View Post
    It's a conspiracy!
    Probably.

Banned
    Look guys there are a lot of guys who deserve to be in the league but it just doesn't work out. He has had more chances than most. If it doesn't work out in the NBA I'm sure he will have a positive influence on other in whatever else he chooses to do. Good guy, marginal player.
    I would like to see him get some more real game PT before we pull the plug on him though. I don't think coaches today have the time nor ability to get a guy like Jimmer where he needs to be to be an effective NBA player. Good luck to the guy. I hope he can make the coach see the light.

You're going to give up that quickly?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Coach has it seems.

Banned
    Writing is on the wall.

Jimmer yanked for no reason.

What about poor Ajinca? Eh? What he do to deserve this?

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Asteptooslow View Post
    Coach has it seems.
    We are 2 games into the season.....there are still 80 games left to play and hopefully we will be playing in more than 80. Jimmer can still hit the 3 at a high level and that's something we need off the bench. Davis himself said that we "really aren't even running the things that we are supposed to be doing right now". It's very early in the season, good God.

I've beat this horse over and over and over again, trying to explain the bias toward him. How a guy like Marcus Thornton can play 30+ min a game for an entire season averaging 5 pts a night, or watch DJ Augustine and everyone else go cold 3 games in a row during the playoffs (when they desperately needed shooters), or, more recently, Gordon going in and shooting bricks...all to watch Jimmer sit on the bench. This isn't about stats or defense or anything else "on the court". There's really no way to argue for that based on the evidence.

I think Jimmer's biggest problem is his character. His nice guy personality doesn't fit with the NBA bad boy image. I think a lot of people see him as a boy in a man's league, no matter how he plays. I'm not going to use the "R" word, because I think it's well beyond that. When the going gets tough, you put the tough guy in - it's basic human nature. Jimmer doesn't fit the tough guy mold so he sits on the bench while the "men" play.

I mean every time there's a thread about Jimmer, you get the obligatory dorky dancing gif (queue...3...2...1...). That tells you a lot about how people see him.

I've been saying for a while that if Jimmer wants to stay in the league, he needs to drop the nice guy image. He needs to get a little more selfish in the game, talk a little more smack, and overall become more of a bad-***. I don't know if that's even possible with his Mormon faith, but I think it's necessary if he's to be taken seriously. I mean, it's not like other players of his faith haven't done it. Look at guys like Steve Young and Danny Ainge, and up-and-coming Jabari Parker. They all get tons of respect. And I think it's because they leave the pretty boy image outside the gym doorstep.
    Last edited by Pelicanned; 11-03-2014 at 02:20 PM.

Does that mean you and the rest of jimmer fans are packing up already?
    I've beat this horse over and over and over again, trying to explain the bias toward him. How a guy like Marcus Thornton can play 30+ min a game for an entire season averaging 5 pts a night, or watch DJ Augustine and everyone else go cold 3 games in a row during the playoffs (when they desperately needed shooters), or, more recently, Gordon going in and shooting bricks...all to watch Jimmer sit on the bench. This isn't about stats or defense or anything else "on the court". There's really no way to argue for that based on the evidence.

I think Jimmer's biggest problem is his character. His nice guy personality doesn't fit with the NBA bad boy image. I think a lot of people see him as a boy in a man's league, no matter how he plays. I'm not going to use the "R" word, because I think it's well beyond that. When the going gets tough, you put the tough guy in - it's basic human nature. Jimmer doesn't fit the tough guy mold so he sits on the bench while the "men" play.

I mean every time there's a thread about Jimmer, you get the obligatory dorky dancing gif. That tells you a lot about how people see him.

I've been saying for a while that if Jimmer wants to stay in the league, he needs to drop the nice guy image. He needs to get a little more selfish in the game, talk a little more smack, and overall become more of a bad-***. I don't know if that's even possible with his Mormon faith, but I think it's necessary if he's to be taken seriously. I mean, it's not like other players of his faith haven't done it. Look at guys like Steve Young and Danny Ainge, and up-and-coming Jabari Parker. They all get tons of respect. And I think it's because they leave their pretty boy image outside the gym.
    Right, i don't even know what you're saying. Honest truth. Bad boy image? Oh man, i forgot how curry is such a bad boy. One that could be blown away with a little wind and that looks like an infant, but anyway. Or dunleavy. Tuurrrrrrribly badder boy. Oh man. It's really a conspiracy.
    Last edited by Kurgan; 11-03-2014 at 02:22 PM.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    I'm not quite ready to....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    We are 2 games into the season.....there are still 80 games left to play and hopefully we will be playing in more than 80. Jimmer can still hit the 3 at a high level and that's something we need off the bench. Davis himself said that we "really aren't even running the things that we are supposed to be doing right now". It's very early in the season, good God.
    I said I'd like to see him get more pull before they give up on him. It was just a bit odd that his pt dwindled so quickly. Maybe, he is getting smoked in practice. Dallas and every team goes right at him and maybe coach doesn't think it is worth trying to cover for him. He is a marked guy and I don't think coaches will take the time to disprove this. If he comes out and gets 15 maybe things will change. I think it WAS odd that he didn't get a shot in the last game. That is bad coaching. Damn you jimmer how you conflict me.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Jimmer was brought to the team for 1 reason, to be a shooter and more importantly hit 3s. You can argue his lack of minutes all you want, but when that is the only reason you are on the team and you go 0-6 then sorry don't complain about the lack of playing time. That and the fact that his PER is -3.45, that isn't a typo btw. It's still early in the season and his averages will likely go back to normal, but jeez is this what it's going to be like every time Jimmer plays a game where he doesn't get minutes? Unless you are one of the main 6 there will be games where you don't really play, it's just that simple. If he wants to change that then he needs to ball out whenever he's on the floor.

Banned
    Who benches a shooter for a bad game. You tell them to keep shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmerTime View Post
    Probably.
    Definitely. I've heard that he's raining 3's on Rivers in practice and Austin can't handle the embarassment. So he complained to his dad, Monty's bff, to make Jimmer sit out. My source is a Pelican.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by -jlam- View Post
    Definitely. I've heard that he's raining 3's on Rivers in practice and Austin can't handle the embarassment. So he complained to his dad, Monty's bff, to make Jimmer sit out. My source is a Pelican.
    Seriously?

Jimmer was brought to the team for 1 reason, to be a shooter and more importantly hit 3s. You can argue his lack of minutes all you want, but when that is the only reason you are on the team and you go 0-6 then sorry don't complain about the lack of playing time. That and the fact that his PER is -3.45, that isn't a typo btw. It's still early in the season and his averages will likely go back to normal, but jeez is this what it's going to be like every time Jimmer plays a game where he doesn't get minutes? Unless you are one of the main 6 there will be games where you don't really play, it's just that simple. If he wants to change that then he needs to ball out whenever he's on the floor.
    And this is exactly the double-standard we're talking about. Guys like Rivers and Gordon can play terrible on both sides of the ball and yet they get their minutes, come sunshine or rain. But, "Jimmer went 0-6 one game, BENCH HIM DAMMIT, HE SUCKS!". Or let's ignore the fact that Jimmer played pretty good D in game 1 (something everyone harps on being more important than his shooting), but suddenly his scoring is all that matters now.

It's the same story we've seen for years. Nothing new.

Writing is on the wall.

I'm not ready to say that he's already been black-marked, but you're right that this doesn't look good from Monty.

And this is exactly the double-standard we're talking about. Guys like Rivers and Gordon can play terrible on both sides of the ball and yet they get their minutes, come sunshine or rain. But, "Jimmer went 0-6 one game, BENCH HIM DAMMIT, HE SUCKS!". Or let's ignore the fact that Jimmer played pretty good D in game 1 (something everyone harps on being more important than his shooting), but suddenly his scoring is all that matters now.

It's the same story we've seen for years. Nothing new.

Writing is on the wall.

I'm not ready to say that he's already been black-marked, but you're right that this doesn't look good from Monty.

Banned
    Well, there is the argument that a lot of coaches have come to the same conclusion so he is responsible on some level.

What is Monty's problem. Jimmer clearly should be starting

Quote Originally Posted by speedyG View Post
    What is Monty's problem. Jimmer clearly should be starting
    And then you get the predictable sarcasm posters who can't help but try to turn the whole thing into their personal trolling thread.

All-Star
    This thread is ridiculous.

Thread Information