Pelicans Report

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20

Thread: Game Thread Pelicans vs Mavs 11/1/14

What I like about this team is we have 4 people (Jrue/Reke/Ryno/AD) who can go on runs and carry the team at any point through a game. Most teams have 1 or 2 options for that.

Banned
    I don't think AD is going to like these would be superstars after a certain point.

Have some thoughts about the game last night.

On Defense, we saw an experienced Dallas squad who could move the ball versus a very inexperienced defense who had terrible lapses on defensive rotations. We played the P&R poorly and we left a lot of shooters open. You saw an initial rotation and even secondary rotation but anything past tertiary was too much for us. Good news is, there's not a ton of teams that swing the ball around like that. Bad news is, we will absolutely have to learn these rotations if we want to be successful in the playoffs.

On offense, we saw a lot of mid range shots. I also think the female ref we had was very, very tough on offensive fouls. There was one play in the 2nd where from my vantage point at the game, we had a guy who bulled his way at the rim and was called for the 0 foul and on the other end, the very next play was called for a defensive foul. That's the NBA, but i think we got hosed on a bunch of calls (refs werent why we lost but they sure as hell didnt help). I saw Ryno struggle to get open versus Parsons. We also got late into the shot clock without any really penetration. Asik must have fumbled about 10 Orebs and looked very uncomfortable under the goal, totaling 2-3 travels and tbh he could have been called for a couple more. Overall i like Asik's game though.

I think a lot of these things are very correctable.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    So true.

To me, we are on game two of a 250 game journey. In 250 games we need to be hitting our peak stride as we get ready for the 2017 playoffs - the first year we will be legit contenders. We need to identify our strengths and weaknesses and our core pieces.

We have identified AD as a superstar. He still has a ways to go - we got 248 games to get him to the point where he can take games over in the 4th. Jrue, Tyreke, and Asik has also been identified as core pieces. Tyreke's off ball decision and offensive decision making have to improve, as does Jrue's ability to get to the bucket. Ryno might be a core piece depending on his health and future contract demands. Gordon must be shed and a couple more pieces need to be added.

But we are just 1/125th of the way there. The fact that we don't have it all figured out right now should not be cause for alarm. There is a lot going right and we are ahead of that schedule IMO. We win the next game and everyone will cheer. Lose after that, and the sky is falling.

But the target date is April 2017. Panicking in November of 2014 just seems pointless to me. Especially when so much is going right so far away from the time period that matter.
    You should be a therapist for sports fans. My mind is at ease.

Thread Information