Pelicans Report

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: Game Thread Pelicans vs Mavs 11/1/14

Parsons did run underneath him, not sure what game you were watching buddy. it was a pretty weak call.

At 1:43 left in the 1st quarter, Monty subbed in Jimmer fro Jrue, and we had Rivers, Jimmer, and Salmons in the game. The score was 26-23. Then, at 10:04 in the 2nd quarter, Monty subbed back in Davis and Gordon for Salmons and Fredette. The score at that point was 39-28. They outscored us by 8 points in only 3 and a half minutes during that timespan.

That is what I'm talking about! Between Jrue, Reke, and Gordon, at least ONE of them has to be on the floor at all times to run the offense. You don't want Rivers, Fredette, or Salmons initiating the offense. Moreover, when Gordon is on the floor with Jrue and Reke, he barely gets to touch the ball (for better or worse). Solution: Start Rivers, let him play off the ball and hit open 3s and play defense. Bring Gordon off the bench, so that when you sub our Reke and Jrue, Gordon can take over the game for 4 or so minutes. It's really not that hard.

Banned
    He was already hanging on the rim. Even the announcers agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Asteptooslow View Post
    He was already hanging on the rim. Even the announcers agreed.
    So just drop yourself on Parsons head and break your own neck. Gotcha.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    It wasn't embarassing. What we suffered on a nightly basis in the playoff series vs the Nuggets was embarassing. This was just a sad loss, but it's not like we were run out of our own place.
    I was rooting hard for that 2009 Nuggets team.

Losing at home to a team you could beat in that fashion is nauseating. The only reason I'm not as upset after a loss like this is because the San Francisco Giants won the World Series. 2010. 2012. 2014.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 11-01-2014 at 09:56 PM.

Cmon now, anyone watching this game. Knows tyreke hanging on the rim was stupid of him and selfish. He should of just flushed it. He was pulling up when paraons was no where in site. Parson ran under him after he was already hanging and pulling up which the T was called for. Pulling up. He had more than enough time to dunk and let go of rim with nobody near him.

Stupid and selfish are two words fans love to call athletes. In this case here though, it doesn't apply. I saw the whole thing unfold and it was a bad call.

attendance is a joke.
    looking for team to bandwagon, pls help

Well, at least Gordon has recognised his ineptness.

Not that it affects his game greatly, but does anyone else think Tyreke has no jumping ability? Guy's like 6'5" with really long arms and he looks like he REALLY has to stretch to get a dunk in the open court.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Writhe View Post
    Not that it affects his game greatly, but does anyone else think Tyreke has no jumping ability? Guy's like 6'5" with really long arms and he looks like he REALLY has to stretch to get a dunk in the open court.
    He can jump when motivated. But I think he subscribes to the Andre Miller school of thought. Lengthen your career by not jumping too much. Or in Tyreke's case, jumping only as much as he needs. I mean at the end of the day, a dunk is still worth two points.

Heh. There's a thought. What if dunks were also worth 3 points?

This is driving me a little nuts, so I need to put it into context:

- We should bench our starting shooting guard 2 games into the season because he hasn't had a good game? He played awful, but was clearly frustrated (see twitter) and out of sync (see Tyreke's first 10 games with us last year). Monty would lose his entire team's respect if his leash was that tight, it's completely unreasonable.

-Our coach sucks bad because we lost a barn burner to a championship contender? If Parsons hit that 3 the other night would Pop suck? Basketball is a game of adjustments, and Monty made some great ones during halftime. Do you think Tyreke was asleep the first half and then miraculously became open the whole third quarter? Carlisle is right up there with Thibs, Doc, and Pop as a top-flight coach, and is known for his X's and O's. This team is also just a bad matchup for us (like we are for memphis).

Sometimes you just lose the game

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    He can jump when motivated. But I think he subscribes to the Andre Miller school of thought. Lengthen your career by not jumping too much. Or in Tyreke's case, jumping only as much as he needs. I mean at the end of the day, a dunk is still worth two points.

Recipe for more injuries I think if everyone was trying to dunk every possession.

I don't think the Mavs are a bad matchup for this team. A lot of those wins came against either a rebuilding squad or an injury riddled one. AD only played against them 2 of the 4 games last year.

This is like deja vu from the 07/08 squad. Played San Antonio in November at home and pretty much got stomped. The chemistry wasn't there yet. The CCC was in its infancy. Played them again in late January, on their court, and stomped them back.

I can see the same thing happening this year with the Mavericks or any top contender they play this month.

I think they call that game slam ball.
    Impossible. The octopus that lives in my brain hasn't squibbered anything about it to me.

Also, that's how octopi talk. They squibber. Yes, it's a word. Shut up.

I also saw a couple things that Reke did as a result of his shooting training, like MM predicted.

There were a couple possessions in the game, where he took jumpers instead of driving. The one i remember in particular is when he got the rebound and brought the ball out to the corner 3, but instead of setting up an offense or driving to the hoop, he took a 3 pointer, not in rhythm but almost like hero ball. I hope it's something that he improves on, but the iq on that play and his decision making sealed the game for us.

Apparently Kim Jong-Il had his own set of rules for basketball where dunks were 3 points and swished 3-pointers were 4-pointers. Also, baskets in the last three seconds are TEN points and missed FTs are -1 point.

http://deadspin.com/5988085/north-ko...sketball-games

Last thought before bed. This was honestly a win I hoped we could get. Next up is a back to back. First up away at Memphis, followed by Charlotte at home.

I was optimistic and thinking we could go 2-1 against Dal, Mem, Cha, but I am honestly thinking we will probably go 1-2. Meaning 2-3. Then its a bit of a break then a road trip to San Antonio Saturday and then Cleveland Monday. A very thankless opening schedule that could realistically leave us 2-5 to start. Hopefully I'm just tired and too pessimistic.

tough loss when we were down big at HT only to take lead heading into the 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Last thought before bed. This was honestly a win I hoped we could get. Next up is a back to back. First up away at Memphis, followed by Charlotte at home.

I was optimistic and thinking we could go 2-1 against Dal, Mem, Cha, but I am honestly thinking we will probably go 1-2. Meaning 2-3. Then its a bit of a break then a road trip to San Antonio Saturday and then Cleveland Monday. A very thankless opening schedule that could realistically leave us 2-5 to start. Hopefully I'm just tired and too pessimistic.
    no I think that's realistic. you have to think spurs and cavs back to backs would be losses so we need to win the memphis and Charlotte games

We win the first game and all is roses. Lose a game and its panic time.

There are 82 of these things people! You can't live and die with every one. We won't know who this team is for 20 or 30 games. And its not like this was a terrible loss. Phoenix got blown out by Utah. Denver lost to a Durant-less and Westbrook-less OKC team.

Evaluate a game, look for ways to improve, and move on. Win or lose, it is not that big of a deal. You know what would be? A major injury, and we haven't suffered one of those. So everything is still roses to me.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by Tin_Food View Post
    I think they call that game slam ball.
    E: whoops, beaten already

No, it is an actual rule in the basketball league of Dear Leader. And threes are worth four if they are nothing but net. Buzzer beaters are worth 8. Missed free throws subtract a point. Some other rules that I don't remember, too.

MM, don't forget that the Cavs lost to the Knicks!

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    MM, don't forget that the Cavs lost to the Knicks!
    So true.

To me, we are on game two of a 250 game journey. In 250 games we need to be hitting our peak stride as we get ready for the 2017 playoffs - the first year we will be legit contenders. We need to identify our strengths and weaknesses and our core pieces.

We have identified AD as a superstar. He still has a ways to go - we got 248 games to get him to the point where he can take games over in the 4th. Jrue, Tyreke, and Asik has also been identified as core pieces. Tyreke's off ball decision and offensive decision making have to improve, as does Jrue's ability to get to the bucket. Ryno might be a core piece depending on his health and future contract demands. Gordon must be shed and a couple more pieces need to be added.

But we are just 1/125th of the way there. The fact that we don't have it all figured out right now should not be cause for alarm. There is a lot going right and we are ahead of that schedule IMO. We win the next game and everyone will cheer. Lose after that, and the sky is falling.

But the target date is April 2017. Panicking in November of 2014 just seems pointless to me. Especially when so much is going right so far away from the time period that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    So true.

To me, we are on game two of a 250 game journey. In 250 games we need to be hitting our peak stride as we get ready for the 2017 playoffs - the first year we will be legit contenders. We need to identify our strengths and weaknesses and our core pieces.

We have identified AD as a superstar. He still has a ways to go - we got 248 games to get him to the point where he can take games over in the 4th. Jrue, Tyreke, and Asik has also been identified as core pieces. Tyreke's off ball decision and offensive decision making have to improve, as does Jrue's ability to get to the bucket. Ryno might be a core piece depending on his health and future contract demands. Gordon must be shed and a couple more pieces need to be added.

But we are just 1/125th of the way there. The fact that we don't have it all figured out right now should not be cause for alarm. There is a lot going right and we are ahead of that schedule IMO. We win the next game and everyone will cheer. Lose after that, and the sky is falling.

But the target date is April 2017. Panicking in November of 2014 just seems pointless to me. Especially when so much is going right so far away from the time period that matter.
    Plus, even though we played sloppy at points, we only lost by 5 points to one of the best teams in the west.

Thread Information