Pelicans Report

Thread: Some interesting teams stats through 2 games(I know)

Some interesting teams stats through 2 games(I know)

This all according to basketball reference: http://www.basketball-reference.com/.../NBA_2015.html

The Pelicans have taken BY FAR the highest % of their shots at the rim in the league. 44% of our shots have come within 3 feet of the rim. Second closest is Philly at 38%. The problem, we've only made 52% of those attempts, which is 3rd worst in the league. By comparison, the Clippers are shooting 78% at the rim. Between Davis/Asik's attempts and o-rebounds, and Tyreke, I expect us to stay towards the top of the league in attempts at the rim and you have to figure that % will come up. Davis has missed at least 5 bunnies at the rim through 2 games.

We also aren't taking a ton of 3s(6th fewest in the league), which is why our average shot distance, 9.8 ft, also first in the league. I'm ok with this for now because of how many shots we're getting at the rim...and because we aren't shooting many long 2's. .079% of our shots from 10-16 ft(8th fewest in the league) and .126% of our shots from 16ft out to the 3 pt line(7th fewest in the league).

In short, on defense we aren't giving up a lot of 3's, but teams are getting into our paint. Which means we're either running teams off the 3 point line or our perimeter defense has been suspect. More of the latter, imo.

Good stuff.

I would also point out three other positive trends:

- Not sending other teams to the FT line
    - Only 5 of 190 shots taken have come at the end of the shot clock (last 4 seconds)
    - Not turning the ball over

Jump shots are simply not falling right now, but there are some positive trends to be enthusiastic about
    @mcnamara247

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    And two of those three things were what we did well at last year. So there's reason to believe the trends continue.

Not taking shots quicker has always been something I loathed. It means we're being more decisive with the ball. I call it MyCareer ball when the ball stays in one place until the shot clock runs down. So frustrating in the game, infuriating IRL.
    Last edited by Eman5805; 11-02-2014 at 04:20 PM.

Thread Information