Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The options at sf for next year.

When do Jrue, Evans, and Ryno's contracts come up? Jrue 2016-2017, Evans 2016-2017, Ryno 2015-2016.

Durant hits FA in 2015-2016. How are we affording Durant when we have AD, Reke, Jrue, and possibly Asik on the roster? TV deals go up, but so do the price of players (even your Jimmers and Morrows). I just don't see the money being available for a move, nor the reasons to make us a viable option.

I don't want to crush dreams (like anyone cares), but I don't see how you can believe this is a possibility, and not have 30% of your retirement tied up in Elvis Plates.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Jrue is til 2017
    Tyreke is til 2017
    Ryno is til 2016
    AD til 2016

In 2016 u'll be clearing 8.5 million from ryno and 16 million in gordon, more than enough for durant plus an increased salary cap.

Couldn't you sign Durant to a max deal then use Davis' bird rights to resign Davis which allows you to go over the cap? I could be wrong, i'm not really good with the salary cap and it's rules.

jrue
    tyreke
    durant
    ad
    asik

is sick tho.
    Last edited by HornetGuru; 11-03-2014 at 12:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Jrue is til 2017
    Tyreke is til 2017
    Ryno is til 2016
    AD til 2016

In 2016 u'll be clearing 8.5 million from ryno and 16 million in gordon, more than enough for durant plus an increased salary cap.

Couldn't you sign Durant to a max deal then use Davis' bird rights to resign Davis which allows you to go over the cap? I could be wrong, i'm not really good with the salary cap and it's rules.

jrue
    tyreke
    durant
    ad
    asik

is sick tho.
    lol dat pipe dream

Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    lol dat pipe dream
    lol, not saying we can get him, saying financially it is possible. Plus in 2 years when AD is the best player in the league why wouldn't KD wanna come here?

How much are you paying Asik? If you are paying Asik his current $8.3, Jrue will be making $11.7, Reke $10.2, AD $9.1. The projected cap will be $66 (KD taking 30% or $19.8). Can you fill out the other 8 spots with only $6.9? Obviously the next argument will be, "well the cap will continue to rise." And it will, and contracts will continue to rise with it, and we will have to resign AD to a max contract. Or the argument will be "who wouldn't want to play on a team with AD and Durant? Of course 6.9 can fill out your bench." Sure you can sign a couple of guys to above league average contracts, but then you have 6 Jimmer/Willie Green/Joel Anthoney types.

I just don't see it. We could trade off Reke or Jrue or Asik to make more room, but there you are still jepordizing the quality on the court for something that might not happen.
    Last edited by UNO Gracias; 11-03-2014 at 09:00 AM.

To point out history, most of your champions went through the draft(Lakers,Spurs, Bulls, Rockets)...(Not all, but a good percentage)...Some won by attracting free agents. (Shaq came, Kobe was a draft day trade). What most of those teams have is 2 dominant players. With our current roster we have 3 all star calibur players (AD, Jrue, Reke). You can build a team around those three players easily. Our problem is bench depth and injuries. If/When Gordon leaves use that cap space to sign a SF, and begin to build your bench depth. We have a start with RS and Ryno. But we need people who are not going to give up a 15-5 run while our starters rest. As fans, we all have the "we're 1 player away" beer goggles on. I don't believe it is that simple.

The other thing we need doesn't come from players, it's called a good coach. TBH I wasn't a fan of the Monty hire. He's like a 1st RDP. You hope he pans out. But when Jackson got fired from the GSW, I hoped we would try to get him. True, Monty had more experience total, but Jackson proved he could build a winning team (even though he had an unbelieveable back court). Think about what JH and Reke could learn from MJ...He's top 10 in assists in NBA history.....That kind of knowledge doesn't just fall from the sky...

So to recap....Sit on the cap space, draft well, fill out bench....Then get good coach.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Draymond is going off tonight.... and Tobias Harris is pretty good too....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    Draymond is going off tonight.... and Tobias Harris is pretty good too....
    good thing about draymond is he isn't a scorer, so he won't go for THAT much this off-season. He can be a 3 and D who can also rebound and play the stretch 4 since his post D is just as good as his perimeter D.

He should be priority #1 this offseason, that and resigning Asik.

Apparently Metta World Peace is looking to make a comeback and has even spoken to a few teams. I personally would love to cut Salmons and replace him with mwp. Anyone else have thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by goat gorilla View Post
    Apparently Metta World Peace is looking to make a comeback and has even spoken to a few teams. I personally would love to cut Salmons and replace him with mwp. Anyone else have thoughts?
    No. We don't need crazy on our team.

Jordan Hamilton has been cut by Utah.
    Something tells me there is more to this guy then just his ability on the court.
    Maybe he is a lockeroom cancer?

From what I'm seeing now i might rather draymond over butler. they are equal defenders with butler being the better slasher and draymond the better rebounder. But draymond's 3 pt shooting has looked great. We have enough slashers, a 3 and D and rebounder would be the absolute perfect fit for this team! Our offense would improve, and our defense and rebounding would be elite.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Jordan Hamilton has been cut by Utah.
    Something tells me there is more to this guy then just his ability on the court.
    Maybe he is a lockeroom cancer?
    Denver people said he was really immature on and off the court.

Oh, and his performance was bad too.
    @mcnamara247

jrue
    tyreke
    draymond
    ad
    asik

that is a BIG team, the rebounding and defense would be absolutely incredible.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    good thing about draymond is he isn't a scorer, so he won't go for THAT much this off-season. He can be a 3 and D who can also rebound and play the stretch 4 since his post D is just as good as his perimeter D.

He should be priority #1 this offseason, that and resigning Asik.
    He can contribute in numerous ways and he plays in a passionate "chip on his shoulder" type of way that appeals to me....

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    He can contribute in numerous ways and he plays in a passionate "chip on his shoulder" type of way that appeals to me....
    agreed
    great perimeter defender
    great post defender
    great rebounder
    3pt shooter
    ball handler

would fit perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Denver people said he was really immature on and off the court.

Oh, and his performance was bad too.
    What do you mean his performance was bad? He never got into a game this regular season. All we've seen was his preseason in which he absolutely killed it.

Now I don't doubt there's a maturity issue. You just don't get cut by that many teams when you've shown you've got the talent unless there is a maturity issue. Maybe a year or two in Euro will help him.

performance in Denver
    I won't get into that either. I'll just simply say I disagree. Unless you think Tucker's performance is bad as well. They are nearly identical numbers wise.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Everyone's really high on Durant, but I think it's unlikely. (not impossible; unlikely)

I really want to see what happens with his injury. He could get back on the court and go down with the same issue.
    Then we'd all be singing a different tune.

Also, we need flexibility. If we're paying Brow/Durant max contracts, we will have a crap bench.
    If we have a crap bench, Brow/Durant play 40+ minutes and start getting hurt more often.

I think you go after someone like draymond green this offseason, regardless of durant, then next year when gordon and ryno come off the books if durant really wants to come here u make it happen. Even if u have to go with a small ball lineup i don't care

jrue
    tyreke
    durant
    draymond
    davis

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I won't get into that either. I'll just simply say I disagree. Unless you think Tucker's performance is bad as well. They are nearly identical numbers wise.
    On offense, yes. I thought Tucker was one of the best defensive wings in the NBA last year though. Also, Tucker was a good rebounder and solid shooter consistently throughout the season. Didn't have huge ups and downs like Hamilton did. Didn't have his rotation spot taken from him. In fact, exactly the opposite.

Either way, Hamilton can't stick anywhere - good teams or bad teams. And there has to be a reason for it. I would look elsewhere, and I can't wait for the day that we solve it, 90% of the reason being that it will make me happy as a fan, and 10% of which so I won't have to open a thread that says, "Jalen Rose thinking of making an NBA comeback.... Should we?'

I think you go after someone like draymond green this offseason, regardless of durant, then next year when gordon and ryno come off the books if durant really wants to come here u make it happen. Even if u have to go with a small ball lineup i don't care

jrue
    tyreke
    durant
    draymond
    davis
    Let's let the season play out and see who is available and how they perform/fit. It is too early to focus on one player as the savior for next year. Early last year, many wanted Hamilton or Tucker.

On offense, yes. I thought Tucker was one of the best defensive wings in the NBA last year though. Also, Tucker was a good rebounder and solid shooter consistently throughout the season. Didn't have huge ups and downs like Hamilton did. Didn't have his rotation spot taken from him. In fact, exactly the opposite.

Either way, Hamilton can't stick anywhere - good teams or bad teams. And there has to be a reason for it. I would look elsewhere, and I can't wait for the day that we solve it, 90% of the reason being that it will make me happy as a fan, and 10% of which so I won't have to open a thread that says, "Jalen Rose thinking of making an NBA comeback.... Should we?'
    It's a song and dance we've been through before which is why I said I won't get into it except to say I disagree.

I do agree that there's a reason he can't stick though. before this off-season he only was stuck behind a super deep SF rotation and then Chandler Parsons playing 44 mpg.

Now however he absolutely killed it in preseason and still is being tossed around. He must have some off the court issue.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 11-07-2014 at 03:26 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    If Gordon plans to opt out who should we go after?

Gerald Green 10 mil

Jeff Green 11 mil

Draymond Green 11 mil

Khawi Leonard max

Jimmy Butler max
    Gordon won't get close to the 15 mil player option, he probably won't opt out unfortunately. It's ironic the team made him stay against his will, and now he's staying against the team's wishes. Best case scenario he starts playing better and the Pelicans can find a trade partner.

Thread Information