Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The options at sf for next year.

Gordon would be insane to opt out of that kind of $.

He'll also be set to go into free agency the following summer when the new tv deal is going to kick in with a higher cap. Salaries will inflate.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I tend to agree - especially if they are all available in the same year. But can you go through another season or two with a hole at the position, just for the chance? I lean towards yes, but your coach wants guys who can help him win now. Telling him that he has to make due with guys like Salmons for another year or two won't be a fun convo to have.
    Very true. It's a hard choice to make. If Reke stays relatively healthy and Gordon opts in I don't see a super hard battle to convince though.

Well, if we have a good season with Jrue, Gordon, and Reke that is. Spend 2/3m on a decent backup or hopefully develop one of our guys into one and we might be able to coast for another year to go after Durant.

Gordon for Butler, right guys?

You sit on the cap space until 2016 and take a shot at Durant.

KD speaks very highly of AD, good chance he might want to come here.

Get someone cheaper like draymond that u wouldn't have trouble clearing.

Davis would be a major attractive quality for other superstars I reckon.

I don't think the team should and would pursue another superstar.

First of all, it's not because Lebron decided to come back to a small market team that all the sudden small markets are attractive enough for the big fishes. Lebron came back to Cleveland because his ego made him want to be the first player to bring an NBA championship to his home-state.
    I can't even imagine Durant's agent (aka Jay-Z) coming to him and saying "look I have great offers from NY, LA, Wash, Chicago, but I really think the best one is with Nola to play in a small market as a second bananas". Let's not kid ourselves, the pels can't attract the higher caliber guys. Look how did it work for the knicks and they have a way bigger market and threw crazy amount of money.

The second reason, it's Dell Demps. The guy doesn't seems to be interested in superstars, he always said that the perfect construction for a team for him was the 2000s Detroit Pistons. We already have a top 5 player in our team, I don't think Dell will chase another.

Now, regarding the option at SF, I think it depends on your vision on how to build a team. For my part, I like balanced team, so if I have to pencil the perfect next SF it would be first of all a guy that can flat out shoot. But I don't think Dell has the same vision. He likes to have people with sames skills to make them harder to counter. It's another vision and it work pretty well with the all-grit Grizzlies in the past few years.

So for my part, my first choice would be Gerald Green. The guy can shoot and the Suns won't retain him, so it seems pretty wide open for us. But I think Dell will pursue first guys great at attacking basketball like Jeff Green or Tobias Harris.

Draymond Green is an interesting choice. The guy would be awesome alongside Ryno but it's more a questionnable fit in association with Holiday/Evans/Davis/Asik, it would be heck of a defensive unit but the spacing wouldn't be good. But the greatest problem is the Warriors won't let him go. They will match any offer and with the cap raise, they will have one to two years to wait to see Barnes's development before being forced to trade one of the two.

Burks just signed a 4yr/42mm contract and people say it's a bad deal, and then these numbers are thrown around as reasonable? I am sure this was all in jest, but who among those guys (besides Leonard) is worth those numbers is Burks isn't?

And I am with Blattman regarding KD. We can have all kinds of funny money, but given the same money between NY, LA, and Us (OKC giving more), and we are the only one where he isn't the man...that's a tough sell. It's not just a tough sell, it's like selling a politician on working as the fry guy at McDonalds. It's fun to think about, but it's not reasonable to think there's a chance of it happening. He and AD don't have that LBJ Wade relationship, so what else will draw them together?
    Last edited by UNO Gracias; 11-01-2014 at 08:21 AM.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Im pretty sure that golden state knows what they have in draymond green! barnes is their "starter" but he doesnt get that many minutes and it seems like kerr loves green, too. If there is a chance i would love to get him to nola, but I have no confidence in that. But if we are planning with tyreke at the 2 for the next years, we would really need a small forward who can hit the three!

watching the rockets really put it home how bad that Gordon contract is. I've said it before but if we could of gotten Trevor Ariza and used the rest to shore up the bench that could be a championship caliber team for years to come. For the price no one in the OP would I have taken over Ariza.

Which is a little weird because of how much I wanted him gone at one point.

Carroll and Drayton Green. ...My question is will we be able to afford one of them with EG opting in and also resigning Asik

I know it's early in the season, but it seems the Warriors are starting Green and Barnes with Iggy coming off the bench. ..I doubt if they let Green walk. ..IMO

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blattman View Post
    I don't think the team should and would pursue another superstar.

First of all, it's not because Lebron decided to come back to a small market team that all the sudden small markets are attractive enough for the big fishes. Lebron came back to Cleveland because his ego made him want to be the first player to bring an NBA championship to his home-state.
    I can't even imagine Durant's agent (aka Jay-Z) coming to him and saying "look I have great offers from NY, LA, Wash, Chicago, but I really think the best one is with Nola to play in a small market as a second bananas". Let's not kid ourselves, the pels can't attract the higher caliber guys. Look how did it work for the knicks and they have a way bigger market and threw crazy amount of money.

The second reason, it's Dell Demps. The guy doesn't seems to be interested in superstars, he always said that the perfect construction for a team for him was the 2000s Detroit Pistons. We already have a top 5 player in our team, I don't think Dell will chase another.

Now, regarding the option at SF, I think it depends on your vision on how to build a team. For my part, I like balanced team, so if I have to pencil the perfect next SF it would be first of all a guy that can flat out shoot. But I don't think Dell has the same vision. He likes to have people with sames skills to make them harder to counter. It's another vision and it work pretty well with the all-grit Grizzlies in the past few years.

So for my part, my first choice would be Gerald Green. The guy can shoot and the Suns won't retain him, so it seems pretty wide open for us. But I think Dell will pursue first guys great at attacking basketball like Jeff Green or Tobias Harris.

Draymond Green is an interesting choice. The guy would be awesome alongside Ryno but it's more a questionnable fit in association with Holiday/Evans/Davis/Asik, it would be heck of a defensive unit but the spacing wouldn't be good. But the greatest problem is the Warriors won't let him go. They will match any offer and with the cap raise, they will have one to two years to wait to see Barnes's development before being forced to trade one of the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Burks just signed a 4yr/42mm contract and people say it's a bad deal, and then these numbers are thrown around as reasonable? I am sure this was all in jest, but who among those guys (besides Leonard) is worth those numbers is Burks isn't?

And I am with Blattman regarding KD. We can have all kinds of funny money, but given the same money between NY, LA, and Us (OKC giving more), and we are the only one where he isn't the man...that's a tough sell. It's not just a tough sell, it's like selling a politician on working as the fry guy at McDonalds. It's fun to think about, but it's not reasonable to think there's a chance of it happening. He and AD don't have that LBJ Wade relationship, so what else will draw them together?
    Amen, I say we fill out our team. Why miss out on guys that would complete our roster to have a <1% chance a Durant (who has said he wants to stay in OKC but also has been linked to interest in Washington)?

We should fill out our team. Why bother trying to keep AD with some big money contract when we all know that if a big market comes calling, there's no way he's staying here?

Geez, guys. No one's saying it's a lock, but why take yourself out the game before the first whistle? If AD becomes the best player in the league why wouldn't Durant (who's spent his entire career in a small market) give the idea of teaming up some serious consideration?

Why would he want to be the 2nd banana? He has a big market agent, he is from a big market. Nobody is saying we shouldn't try, but people buy lottery tickets every day, they have a chance of winning, but they aren't building their retirement around it (I certainly hope not at least).

Just trade Rivers for LeBron. Simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets2013 View Post
    Just trade Rivers for LeBron. Simple.
    And demand that they throw in Love (to replace our piece of trash PF).

We can offer AD the biggest max coming off his rookie contract, so we are in the box seat.

We just need one or two more pieces to really contend and AD knows this. He'll stay.

So i'll throw out a couple 2k trades i made for kicks.

Salmons and Withey for Harkless

Rivers, Miller, second round pick, and cash for Sessions, Hollins

Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
    We should fill out our team. Why bother trying to keep AD with some big money contract when we all know that if a big market comes calling, there's no way he's staying here?

Geez, guys. No one's saying it's a lock, but why take yourself out the game before the first whistle? If AD becomes the best player in the league why wouldn't Durant (who's spent his entire career in a small market) give the idea of teaming up some serious consideration?
    Your comparison with Davis doesn't make ANY sense. Davis already know this organization and the pels would be able to propose him the most money, with the longer contract than any other team with probably an extension under the Rose's exception. Why would he stay ? Because of the local ties he built the last few years and the crazy amount of money that will add in his pockets.

Now let's place us in Durant's prospective. The guy spent the last few years playing in a winning organization, in a sold-out arena and a chance to compete for a championship every year. The same organization can offer him extra-money. Why on earth would he leave this team for ours ? To an opportunity to be AD's sidekick ? That's pretty thin, especially if you consider the alternative of coming back to his homestate which has a competitive team and a good market size, or to play in the biggest markets in the world. I don't see any competitive advantage for our team in this FA chase.

My point is not filling out our team as soon as possible, it is we should focus on the thing that we have a real chance to complete and signing Durant is not one of them.

Now if you don't want to commit to much money on a SF next year, I think there would be some opportunity to find serviceable players for near minimum contract. For example, Jeff Taylor or Landry Fields could be interesting short term bets. Another interesting case for this scenario would be Pape Sy. He wasn't even average for his first stop in the NBA with the Hawks but at 26 he seems to have finally matured as he's leading scorer in the French LNB pro A averaging 18.2 points 5.2 rebounds and 2 assists per game while shooting over 40% from the 3 point line. And as a 6'7 220lbs SF with good athleticism, he's not your prototypical Euro SF.
    Last edited by Blattman; 11-02-2014 at 02:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I tend to agree - especially if they are all available in the same year. But can you go through another season or two with a hole at the position, just for the chance? I lean towards yes, but your coach wants guys who can help him win now. Telling him that he has to make due with guys like Salmons for another year or two won't be a fun convo to have.
    especially when theyll blame monty for these guys lack of production... not very sure he would go for that, but what choice would he have if management wants to wait, and btw the win/loss records mean little to these superstar guys, theyll just want to play together and the wins would come, it certainly didnt stop kevin love going to cleveland, or bosh going with lebron to miami to join wade, If we got a durant to entertain playing in new orleans, it could bring along another high level player, how would an AD, durant, asik, evans, holliday, with anderson and a guy like say khris middleton via trade in the second unit look? formidable to say the least, just gotta make the money work... maybe we could pull butler in and give away a little more to get him.. who knows man, were talking 2 or 3 years from now... but AD could certainly pull the stars here better than CP3 could, plus theyll have the money to spend, george shinn wasnt getting another superstar to play here... Benson can...
    Last edited by Pelicans25_ZERO; 11-02-2014 at 07:16 PM.

Who are we putting around Durant and Davis? Not Jrue, Reke, Asik, or Ryno (can't afford all of them, or even half of them). I say keep what you have on hand once Gordon goes and then look for a lessor star. Nobody here will be upset if we don't make an attempt at Durant, but if your replace the hole made by Gordon's departure with more Salmon's, Willie Green, and any other teammate Monty used to play with that's still kicking around in this league, then you will have issues with fans.

Your comparison with Davis doesn't make ANY sense. Davis already know this organization and the pels would be able to propose him the most money, with the longer contract than any other team with probably an extension under the Rose's exception. Why would he stay ? Because of the local ties he built the last few years and the crazy amount of money that will add in his pockets.
    When hometown, big market Chicago calls for Davis, he will bolt to go play with Jabari Parker, Derrick Rose, and an ancient D-Wade. Why? Because they supposedly have the advantage over us in 3 areas: Chicago wins, Chicago is home, Chicago is a big market. Applying your Kevin Durant scenario to Davis basically confirms he's is leaving when he becomes a UFA.

Now let's place us in Durant's prospective. The guy spent the last few years playing in a winning organization, in a sold-out arena and a chance to compete for a championship every year. The same organization can offer him extra-money. Why on earth would he leave this team for ours ? To an opportunity to be AD's sidekick ? That's pretty thin, especially if you consider the alternative of coming back to his homestate which has a competitive team and a good market size, or to play in the biggest markets in the world. I don't see any competitive advantage for our team in this FA chase.
    Cleveland was a winning organization, Denver was a winning organization, Utah was a winner, and the Lakers were winners and we've all seen big name players leave one way or the other in the past 4 or so years. If Davis is the best player in the game... and with Durant already signing huge endorsement deals that increase his exposure... why would he not consider playing here if winning was his chief concern?

My point is not filling out our team as soon as possible, it is we should focus on the thing that we have a real chance to complete and signing Durant is not one of them.
    Who cares if we have the advantage over other teams that make offers or not? I'm gonna say this again, it seems like you people are literally saying "Durant? No thanks, give me Landry Fields, a 2nd rounder and some cash considerations". How on earth do we win a title without a 2nd superstar? There are 2, literally 2 teams, in this millennium that won a title without at least 2 top 15 players.

We just saw Kevin Love demand a trade to Cleveland. Don't tell me that it's impossible to bring in Kevin Durant. And don't even try to sell me on LANDRY FIELDS as some kind of consolation prize.

You sit on the cap space until 2016 and take a shot at Durant.
    I'm kind of thinking this is the best idea.

If Gordon opts out you can throw a max at kawhi, and if san antonio matches just use the cap space to sign some good bench players on 1 year deals then try and land durant the next year.

When hometown, big market Chicago calls for Davis, he will bolt to go play with Jabari Parker, Derrick Rose, and an ancient D-Wade. Why? Because they supposedly have the advantage over us in 3 areas: Chicago wins, Chicago is home, Chicago is a big market. Applying your Kevin Durant scenario to Davis basically confirms he's is leaving when he becomes a UFA.
    Honestly, if the Pels aren't a contender and the bulls have cap space, we have 0 chance to keep him except if he is extremly loyal to our organization or prefer to take more money. But Davis won't become UFA until 2020 I think. If you read me more closely, you'll see I didn't say Durant will leave the thunder. I'm just saying I don't see any reason for him to leave the thunder for us.

Who cares if we have the advantage over other teams that make offers or not? I'm gonna say this again, it seems like you people are literally saying "Durant? No thanks, give me Landry Fields, a 2nd rounder and some cash considerations". How on earth do we win a title without a 2nd superstar? There are 2, literally 2 teams, in this millennium that won a title without at least 2 top 15 players.

We just saw Kevin Love demand a trade to Cleveland. Don't tell me that it's impossible to bring in Kevin Durant. And don't even try to sell me on LANDRY FIELDS as some kind of consolation prize.
    First "who cares if we have the advantage over other teams that make offers or not ?" Simple answer : a guy named Kevin Durant.
    Did you read my post ? I was speaking about Landy Fields in the exact scenario where we try to go after KD, signing Fields on a minimum salary on a 1 year contract - ala Morrow.

Thread Information