Pelicans Report

Thread: My 14-15 Pels Historical Team Comparison

Pelicans My 14-15 Pels Historical Team Comparison

This is long. I am sorry.

Once I started hearing the Marcus Camby comparisons, I started losing it a little bit. Camby's best run came with Toronto at 13ppg, 6.8rpg, and 2.9bpg (looks a lot like AD's rookie season right?)

I think I've pegged it, not only for AD but for the whole 14-15 Pels team. I think we are the 2001-2002 Sacramento Kings. I don't think the comparison's are exact, but it provides a nice roadmap for future success.

Lets start with the obvious:

Ryan Anderson (pels): 17ppg, 6.4RPG, .389 3p%
    Peja Stojiakovic (01-02): 21.1ppg, 5.3rpg, .416 3p%

Yes Ryan'll need to make a little jump to be as good as Peja was in 01-02, but the numbers are relatively in-line. Don't base your opinion on NoLa Peja, because he was a much better player in Sac-town.

Jrue Holiday (pels): 14.3ppg, 7.9apg, 4.2rpg, 45.9 FG%, .390 3p%
    Mike Bibby (01-02): 13.7ppg, 5apg, 2.8rpg, 45.3 FG%, .370 3p%

Yes we all think Jrue can be better than bibby, but he's been elite for precisely 1 season, and we don't know how his game will change with everyone healthy. Bibby's numbers took a hit this year moving to SAC and a much more talented roster.

Eric Gordon (pels): 16.3ppg, 3.2apg, 2.3rpg, 45 FG%, 35% 3p%
    Doug Christie 01-02): 12ppg, 4apg, 4rpg, 46 FG% 35% 3p%

This is the role I hope Eric Gordon can embrace. After watching him own the ghost of Ben Gordon, I think he might actually be keying in on Defense. Christie was a complete bulldog, tough as nails and a good 4th option.

Anthony Davis (pels): 17.3ppg, 9.2rpg, 1.3apg, 52 FG%
    Chris Webber (01-02):24.5ppg, 10.1rpg, 4.8apg, 50 FG%

Yes, I used Davis' Career stats instead of last year's because I'm not 100% sure that his leap this year won't be offset by having a healthy roster. Having everyone back won't affect his PPG? Having Asik won't affect his RPG? I realize he killed the Magic, but I think 25 and 10 is a good benchmark.

This is my favorite NBA comparison for AD. If the Kings steal a ring from the Lakers during this stint, we're talking about Cwebb as a top 20 player all time. People forget how amazing he was. Slight frame, silky smooth jumper, and an underrated defender. I'm interested to see if AD can improve on some nice passing we saw in game 1.

Omer Asik: (12-13 HOU) 10.1ppg, 11.7rpg, 47 FG%, 1.1bpg, .6spg
    Vlade Divac (01-02) : 11.1ppg, 8.4rpg, 47 FG%, 1.2bpg, 1spg

I used Asik's starter's numbers for this one. The down-low anchor, these dudes even sound alike.

I realize the roles are reversed with Tyreke starting, but basically the only other 2 key contributors were Turkgulu and Bobby Jackson for a total of: 21.2ppg, 4apg, 7.6 rpg. I think Tyreke settles into a 15, 5, and 5 guy... which means there's little production we need.

When you're staring at the super teams, remember that this team gave the ultimate super-team all they could handle.

Interesting. I don't see this comparison myself, but I appreciate the effort. Numbers might be similar, but skill sets are so different. Example - guys like Omer and Divac couldn't be more different skill set wise IMO. Webber's greatest strength was as a playmaker for others in the high or low post, Davis a much more athletic player and better defender.

I think that by next year they can be as good as those Kings teams, but in a different way
    @mcnamara247

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    One team I've thought of that this team reminded me of in ways was the mid 2000's Pistons team with Billups, Big Ben and Sheed. Not specifically comparable position by position but moreso the direction of the culture as a defensive grinding team with offensive potential.

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Interesting. I don't see this comparison myself, but I appreciate the effort. Numbers might be similar, but skill sets are so different. Example - guys like Omer and Divac couldn't be more different skill set wise IMO. Webber's greatest strength was as a playmaker for others in the high or low post, Davis a much more athletic player and better defender.

I think that by next year they can be as good as those Kings teams, but in a different way
    I'm with you on the skill-sets, I was going more off of roles on a team (specifically a team that successfully ran their team through 1 superstar PF and a bunch of A- to B- players in the rotation).

Asik will still be good for a double double as a 4th or 5th option and guard the slow&big man effectively. Eric could adapt to the versatile defender as the 4th option and make this team better. Ryan and Peja are similar players. AD as the primary option whom the game runs through, etc.

I'm also hoping AD might become that type of playmaker, he's going to need to adapt to defenses keying in and doubling and also to having a good supporting cast as the top-dog. That's more valuable to me than any other stat right now.

Just me having a bit of fun during this afwul no-game stretch

Quote Originally Posted by wuggie View Post
    One team I've thought of that this team reminded me of in ways was the mid 2000's Pistons team with Billups, Big Ben and Sheed. Not specifically comparable position by position but moreso the direction of the culture as a defensive grinding team with offensive potential.
    Funny, I had this same exact thought. AD and Asik locking down the paint. Better on offense though. Those Pistons ran a lot of offense through their SF like we do. They even had a stretch big off the bench (Okur).

Just need Jrue and Gordon to play like Billups and Rip to be title contenders.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Funny, I had this same exact thought. AD and Asik locking down the paint. Better on offense though. Those Pistons ran a lot of offense through their SF like we do. They even had a stretch big off the bench (Okur).

Just need Jrue and Gordon to play like Billups and Rip to be title contenders.
    The main difference that see would be that Prince didn't shoot half as much as Reke does. Based on Tuesday's game, it's going to be hard for Jrue and Eric to be like Billups and Rip. They won't get the touches.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Thread Information