Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Alec Burks just got a 42 million dollar deal...

Sorry, but new TV contract or not, that is overpaying. He is average at best.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! NOLa.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I accepted the per36 numbers. But let's go through this point by point.

"Tyreke can't shoot".

Burks TS % last year was 54%. Tyreke's TS % was 50%. That is NOT a huge difference. Yes, Burks is a better 3pt shooter but he shoots them at such a low rate it really doesn't make a huge difference in their overall efficiency as evident by them only being 4% apart.

"The assists are nice but. . ."

There is NO but. Tyreke was behind ONLY LBJ for assist % by a 3. He posted a nearly double (81%) higher assist % than Burks. That's not just nice, that's blowing you out of the water nice. That's nuts in the face dunking on you nice.

"The two players are within 2% of TOV%".

Yes. That was my point. You tried to point to TOVs as a weakness of Tyreke, but the truth is they are very similar. Per36 there is less than 1 TOV a game difference. And that's with Tyreke posting a higher usage %.

" he didn't post a far higher per. It was 18.5 to 17.9. Pretty much the same."

No. Tyreke posted an 18.4 PER lat year. Burks posted a 15.8 PER and this was his first year ever being over replacement level. For their careers Tyreke is 17.1 and Burks is 14.3 below replacement.

And this isn't even mentioning how you completely ignored rebounding which Tyreke had a 44% better rate. These aren't insignificant numbers.

Tyreke year 1 was already so far ahead of Burks that even him catching up some still keeps Tyreke ahead just by stay at his same level.

Here is the break down:

Burks is a better 3pt shooter but doesn't take them enough to make a huge difference. He is also a slightly better overall shooter. According to the numbers 8% better. He is also slightly better at getting to the line and not turning the ball over.

Tyreke blows him out of the water in assists and rebounding. He is a far more efficient player. He had slightly more TOs on a higher usage. Burke is basically average across the board while Tyreke is slightly lower shooting but WELL above average in multiple areas. There really is no comparison as far as contract value goes.

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I accepted the per36 numbers. But let's go through this point by point.

"Tyreke can't shoot".

Burks TS % last year was 54%. Tyreke's TS % was 50%. That is NOT a huge difference. Yes, Burks is a better 3pt shooter but he shoots them at such a low rate it really doesn't make a huge difference in their overall efficiency as evident by them only being 4% apart.

Tyreke can't stretch the defense. He doesn't spread the floor. He also isn't as efficient on the offensive end. Not sure that this can really be argued.
    "The assists are nice but. . ."

There is NO but. Tyreke was behind ONLY LBJ for assist % by a 3. He posted a nearly double (81%) higher assist % than Burks. That's not just nice, that's blowing you out of the water nice. That's nuts in the face dunking on you nice.

Tyreke isn't a 3. He might guard the other teams 3 but he doesn't play the 3 on offense. 81% sounds like a big number but it is 3 assists a game. That is good and is an area where Tyreke has the advantage but it isn't "nuts in the dunking on you nice"
    "The two players are within 2% of TOV%".

Yes. That was my point. You tried to point to TOVs as a weakness of Tyreke, but the truth is they are very similar. Per36 there is less than 1 TOV a game difference. And that's with Tyreke posting a higher usage %.

Actually I wouldn't pointing to TOVs a weakness of Tyreke's. I was using it to illustrate the similarity of the 2 players.

" he didn't post a far higher per. It was 18.5 to 17.9. Pretty much the same."

No. Tyreke posted an 18.4 PER lat year. Burks posted a 15.8 PER and this was his first year ever being over replacement level. For their careers Tyreke is 17.1 and Burks is 14.3 below replacement.

Where did you get these numbers? I used basketballreference.com

And this isn't even mentioning how you completely ignored rebounding which Tyreke had a 44% better rate. These aren't insignificant numbers.
    It is 2 rebounds in 36 minutes. Yeah, it is.

Tyreke year 1 was already so far ahead of Burks that even him catching up some still keeps Tyreke ahead just by stay at his same level.
    He was, he isn't so much now. He is an a good enough trajectory that the contract isn't that insane.
    Here is the break down:

Burks is a better 3pt shooter but doesn't take them enough to make a huge difference. He is also a slightly better overall shooter. According to the numbers 8% better. He is also slightly better at getting to the line and not turning the ball over.

Tyreke blows him out of the water in assists and rebounding. He is a far more efficient player. He had slightly more TOs on a higher usage. Burke is basically average across the board while Tyreke is slightly lower shooting but WELL above average in multiple areas. There really is no comparison as far as contract value goes.
    He isn't more efficient offensively but is a better rebounded and get more assists. Considering the improvement to their respective games Burks and Tyreke aren't that different. They both get to the rim at will, can finish when it seems like there is no way that they will be able to finish and handle the ball.

He is a tough, physical player. I like him a lot. I think this is a reasonable deal. Now, the $56 Million to ricky rubio over 4 years is a different story.

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Writhe View Post
    He is a tough, physical player. I like him a lot. I think this is a reasonable deal. Now, the $56 Million to ricky rubio over 4 years is a different story.
    Yeah, that is insane.

Last edited by Mythrol; 11-01-2014 at 05:23 PM.

All-Star
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51279093.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	5782

Gif thread!

Thread Information