Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Alec Burks just got a 42 million dollar deal...

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar

Alec Burks just got a 42 million dollar deal...

........what

Smart move. With the development of Burks game, and then Burk and Exum growing as well, they could have a very nice rotation of guards up there. 96 min spread out between the three of them. It works.
    He was going to get paid though. People in Utah like his progress much more than the progress they have seen from Kanter. Favors is starting to earn his money as well. But Burks earned that money last year, and has shown so far this year that he deserved it.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    You're kidding, right? Alec Burks is what passes for a $42 million player these days?

And this is coming from a guy that wanted us to draft him when we came out.

But then, I haven't watched much Jazz. Is he sneaky good or something? Defending at a high level?

they overpaid

I think it's smart that they extended him. But unless Burks is an all defensive type player, his play last year and 2 games this year hasn't warranted 42 million dollars.

They are buying the upside of the investment. They believe based on what they have seen that they can make an educated guess as to what they will get. His play has been good (not all star good), and he got a good contract, not an NBA All Star contract. There is also the market factor. You have to spend a little more to get a player to come/stay in certain markets like SLC.
    Last edited by UNO Gracias; 10-31-2014 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    They are buying the upside of the investment. They believe based on what they have see they can make an educated guess as to what they will get. His play has been good (not all star good), and he got a good contract, not an NBA All Star contract. There is also the market factor. You have to spend a little more to get a player to come/stay in certain markets like SLC.
    They spent 500k a year less than we did on Holiday and he was coming off an all star season.

There is also a new TV deal that will make contracts like this more palpable, and make our Jrue deal look like he is playing for charity. I don't see the harm in this deal.

All-Star
    Alec is at least as good as Tyreke. He probably isn't as good at getting to the basket but he is a much better shooter, especially from 3.

It must be incredibly fabulous to be an average NBA player these days.

And people think Tyreke's contract is bad...

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    There is also a new TV deal that will make contracts like this more palpable, and make our Jrue deal look like he is playing for charity. I don't see the harm in this deal.
    I was just about to say this. Lock him up within the confines of the current cap amounts, because when the cap jumps in a season or 2 (forget which year), contracts are gonna be way larger

And people say Tyreke is a bad contract. First matching Hayward now this.

Quote Originally Posted by Npliam View Post
    Alec is at least as good as Tyreke. He probably isn't as good at getting to the basket but he is a much better shooter, especially from 3.
    Nice to see a Jazz fan on hear, but Burks is not as good as Tyreke. The dude had one OK year were he avg 14 pts on a bad team coming mostly off the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomdda View Post
    It must be incredibly fabulous to be an average NBA player these days.
    Precisely what i was thinking

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans_fan_504 View Post
    Nice to see a Jazz fan on hear, but Burks is not as good as Tyreke. The dude had one OK year were he avg 14 pts on a bad team coming mostly off the bench.
    Tell me why Tyreke is better. I would guess I have watched more of both players than anyone on this board.

Tell me why Tyreke is better. I would guess I have watched more of both players than anyone on this board.
    You tell me Burks is a good as Tyreke, because the stats says otherwise. Tyreke is 17-5-5 guy Burke career avg is 9-2-3, that is a big difference.

This is what the NBA has become with max contracts.

As far as Alec he's improved as a shooter and can get to the basket at will. Honestly he's just as good as Evans(since that seems to be the standard for this thread) and he's making a little less. Both are questionable defensively. Evans is the far better creator for others and Burks is a far better shooter.

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans_fan_504 View Post
    You tell me Burks is a good as Tyreke, because the stats says otherwise. Tyreke is 17-5-5 guy Burke career avg is 9-2-3, that is a big difference.
    You need to look a little deeper at the numbers.

Burks per 36. 17.9 points 4.2 rebs and 3.5 assist. Shooting 48% from 2 and 35% from 3.
    Tyreke Per 36. 18.5 points 6.1 rebs and 6.1 assists. Shooting 46% from 2 and 22% from 3.

Reke is a better rebounded and a has more assists but he also turns the ball over more. Burks is a more efficient player and get to the free throw line more. The major difference being that Burks just hasn't played as many minutes and doesn't take as many shots. Burks is also a good defender and while he is a 2 he can play the one.

They are both good but let's not pretend that Tyreke is way better. The stats bear that out.

You need to look a little deeper at the numbers.

Burks per 36. 17.9 points 4.2 rebs and 3.5 assist. Shooting 48% from 2 and 35% from 3.
    Tyreke Per 36. 18.5 points 6.1 rebs and 6.1 assists. Shooting 46% from 2 and 22% from 3.

Reke is a better rebounded and a has more assists but he also turns the ball over more. Burks is a more efficient player and get to the free throw line more. The major difference being that Burks just hasn't played as many minutes and doesn't take as many shots. Burks is also a good defender and while he is a 2 he can play the one.

They are both good but let's not pretend that Tyreke is way better. The stats bear that out.
    I appreciate the post but, even if we accept per36 numbers for a guy who has averaged 21 mpg over his career, there honestly is a pretty big difference between

18-4-3.5
    And
    18-6-6

Those two extra rebounds and 2.5 assists are actually a big deal. Tyreke has a 44% better total rebound % and an 81% better assist %. Their TOV% is actually within 2% of each other. All while posting a far higher PER than Burks ever has.

People use the new TV deal to justify things, but even with its most generous projections, Hayward and Burks will eat up 30% of the cap. Which is equivalent to paying those two 18-20 mil per year under the current cap. That is an overpay.

That said, Utah can not attract free agents. So, I don't know what having the extra money will do anyway.

A team we don't have to worry about as we rise to contender status over the next ten years. Fine by me.
    @mcnamara247

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I appreciate the post but, even if we accept per36 numbers for a guy who has averaged 21 mpg over his career, there honestly is a pretty big difference between

18-4-3.5
    And
    18-6-6

Those two extra rebounds and 2.5 assists are actually a big deal. Tyreke has a 44% better total rebound % and an 81% better assist %. Their TOV% is actually within 2% of each other. All while posting a far higher PER than Burks ever has.

Why wouldn't we accept Per36 numbers from a third year guy that played 31 minutes a game last year? That isn't a small sample size and is the reason that Per is a good way to compare apples to apples.

While I know that Tyreke is a better rebounded and averages more assist per game Burks is a more efficient offensive player. Tyreke can't shoot. He shoot 22% from 3 last year and that is a big problem for a 2 guard (or really any guard in today's NBA). The assist are nice but like you said the 2 players are within 2% or each other in TOV% and he didn't post a far higher per. It was 18.5 to 17.9. Pretty much the same.

The other thing to note is while Tyreke is pretty much the same player he was when he go into the league Burks has made improvements to his game every year.

Why wouldn't we accept Per36 numbers from a third year guy that played 31 minutes a game last year? That isn't a small sample size and is the reason that Per is a good way to compare apples to apples.

While I know that Tyreke is a better rebounded and averages more assist per game Burks is a more efficient offensive player. Tyreke can't shoot. He shoot 22% from 3 last year and that is a big problem for a 2 guard (or really any guard in today's NBA). The assist are nice but like you said the 2 players are within 2% or each other in TOV% and he didn't post a far higher per. It was 18.5 to 17.9. Pretty much the same.

The other thing to note is while Tyreke is pretty much the same player he was when he go into the league Burks has made improvements to his game every year.
    I accepted the per36 numbers. But let's go through this point by point.

"Tyreke can't shoot".

Burks TS % last year was 54%. Tyreke's TS % was 50%. That is NOT a huge difference. Yes, Burks is a better 3pt shooter but he shoots them at such a low rate it really doesn't make a huge difference in their overall efficiency as evident by them only being 4% apart.

"The assists are nice but. . ."

There is NO but. Tyreke was behind ONLY LBJ for assist % by a 3. He posted a nearly double (81%) higher assist % than Burks. That's not just nice, that's blowing you out of the water nice. That's nuts in the face dunking on you nice.

"The two players are within 2% of TOV%".

Yes. That was my point. You tried to point to TOVs as a weakness of Tyreke, but the truth is they are very similar. Per36 there is less than 1 TOV a game difference. And that's with Tyreke posting a higher usage %.

" he didn't post a far higher per. It was 18.5 to 17.9. Pretty much the same."

No. Tyreke posted an 18.4 PER lat year. Burks posted a 15.8 PER and this was his first year ever being over replacement level. For their careers Tyreke is 17.1 and Burks is 14.3 below replacement.

And this isn't even mentioning how you completely ignored rebounding which Tyreke had a 44% better rate. These aren't insignificant numbers.

Tyreke year 1 was already so far ahead of Burks that even him catching up some still keeps Tyreke ahead just by stay at his same level.

Here is the break down:

Burks is a better 3pt shooter but doesn't take them enough to make a huge difference. He is also a slightly better overall shooter. According to the numbers 8% better. He is also slightly better at getting to the line and not turning the ball over.

Tyreke blows him out of the water in assists and rebounding. He is a far more efficient player. He had slightly more TOs on a higher usage. Burke is basically average across the board while Tyreke is slightly lower shooting but WELL above average in multiple areas. There really is no comparison as far as contract value goes.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 10-31-2014 at 04:55 PM.

The Jazz love to outbid themselves. With the recent extensions, nobody can argue that we have any bad contracts outside EJ.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Thread Information