Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Asik: I don't look at (or care about) the numbers

Now THAT'S the way to make an impact on your first post!

Makes Da Throne's - "AD won't be a superstar" argument look weak by comparison!

Asik is an average rebounder? Man, this new poster is coming for the crown!
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post

Ok, lets say he is below average at grabbing some boards... It will not change my opinion about Omar, do you really think that he is the right piece for this team ? We need a much better talent to pair with AD, or do you actually mean to say, that Asik was your dreamplayer to fill the center position ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rakac Temha View Post
    I don´t think that Omar is a legit starting center in this league. He is playing tough, I will give him some credit for that, but this is not enough if you want to be a contender in this league. Thats not the euroleague, this is some real tough NBA basketball where you need elite athleticism and talent to compete. He is avarage at playing defense, just 1 block per game playing more than 30 minutes a night 2012/2013 for the Rockets as a starting 5 player. He is an avarage rebounder and is worse at shooting FT´s than Dwight Howard was. I doubt that Omar is capable of guarding elite athleticism in the NBA... We had so many options at FAm or via trades, why the Hell we have tradet for Omar ??? I hope we will not re-sign his contract, 14 Million a year for this guy, looks worse than Ebola.
    The saddest part is he has already edited his post at least once.

Ok, lets say he is below average at grabbing some boards... It will not change my opinion about Omar, do you really think that he is the right piece for this team ? We need a much better talent to pair with AD, or do you actually mean to say, that Asik was your dreamplayer to fill the center position ?
    You should know what this team needs having been a member since October of 2014 and followed the Pelicans for so long; Oh wait it is October of 2014 right now.

Quote Originally Posted by JrueDat View Post
    The saddest part is he has already edited his post at least once.
    I want to hear arguments, I just want the best for our team. I just don´t think that Asik can give us quality minutes on the court, he is more of a second unit player.

The team doesn't need an athlete at center. It would be redundant. AD is an athlete. We need a banger and that is what Asik is. Did you not watch the first game? I watched the first game twice with League pass. We wouldn't have won that game without Asik. His rebounds, his physicality and his unexpected offense were all equally as valuable as AD's contributions and Ryno's scoring spurt in the third. We have plenty of athletes and scorers.

Also, who are all these other options you elude to? We couldn't have signed anyone in free agency because we had little-to-no cap space. So who could we have traded for that you think would've been a better fit?
    Last edited by JrueDat; 10-31-2014 at 08:55 PM.

You should know what this team needs having been a member since October of 2014 and followed the Pelicans for so long; Oh wait it is October of 2014 right now.
    Hi Jrue,
    Maybe yo don´t know, but they are pelicans fans out their, who are not registred on this board. I was lurking here for a few years, but finally decided to create an account, when I saw this crazy hype about an unathletic NBA Center, who can not shoot the damn ball.

Hi Jrue,
    Maybe yo don´t know, but they are pelicans fans out their, who are not registred on this board. I was lurking here for a few years, but finally decided to create an account, when I saw this crazy hype about an unathletic NBA Center, who can not shoot the damn ball.
    He isn't needed to shoot the ball. He is needed to bang down low, get rebounds and put backs, which he did quite effectively. Once again, did you even watch the game?

The team doesn't need an athlete at center. It would be redundant. AD is an athlete. We need a banger and that is what Asik is. Did you not watch the first game? I watched the first game twice with League pass. We wouldn't have won that game without Asik. His rebounds, his physicality and his unexpected offense were all equally as valuable as AD's contributions and Ryno's scoring spurt in the third. We have plenty of athletes and scorers.

Also, who are all these other options you elude to? We couldn't have signed anyone in free agency because we had little-to-no cap space. So who could we have traded for that you think would've been a better fit?
    Meh, 6-11, 250 is not that Big... I think you are all just overreacting, because of Omer padding his stats in his first game. I don´t think that he will give us quality minutes on the court... Spencer Hawes was some option, he is taller, more athletic and can shoot the ball. He is not worse than Omar playing defense. Only thing Omar is a better rebounder, that´s about it. Spencer was a better fit, for the short term. Not that I will say Spencer is a great player, but much better than Asik, he is.
    Last edited by Rakac Temha; 10-31-2014 at 09:07 PM.

Meh, 6-11, 250 is not that Big... I think you are all just overreacting, because of Omer padding his stats in his first game. I don´t think that he will give us quality minutes on the court... Spencer Hawes was some option, he taller, more athletic and can shoot the ball. He is not worse than Omar playing defense. Only thing Omar is a better rebounder, that´s about it.
    "Thats not the euroleague, this is some real tough NBA basketball where you need elite athleticism and talent to compete."

That is your quote there. Spencer Hawes is more a Euro style player than Asik. I honestly can't understand how you could think Hawes would be a better option. We have that player in Ryno, except Ryno is better.

Padding his stats? What does that even mean? It isn't like he was playing only in garbage time. How can one pad their stats against a solid starting big in Vucevic?

I ask once again. Did you even watch the game? What are you a pilgrim and have something against Turkey?

This is amazing. I honestly feel it's a joke post it's so bad.

Actually, I thought the same about DT too.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 10-31-2014 at 09:17 PM.

Meh, 6-11, 250 is not that Big... I think you are all just overreacting, because of Omer padding his stats in his first game. I don´t think that he will give us quality minutes on the court... Spencer Hawes was some option, he is taller, more athletic and can shoot the ball. He is not worse than Omar playing defense. Only thing Omar is a better rebounder, that´s about it. Spencer was a better fit, for the short term. Not that I will say Spencer is a great player, but much better than Asik, he is.
    This is fantastic.

You are good at what you do sir.

I just don't know what to say other than....he is a GOOD fit for this team based on his rebounding, banging and ability to push the big boys off the block...

Granted $14 million is a lot but like JrueDat said we couldn't outright sign anyone... I think he fits well!
    NEW ORLEANS
    There is NO place like Home!

"Thats not the euroleague, this is some real tough NBA basketball where you need elite athleticism and talent to compete."

That is your quote there. Spencer Hawes is more a Euro style player than Asik. I honestly can't understand how you could think Hawes would be a better option. We have that player in Ryno, except Ryno is better.

Padding his stats? What does that even mean? It isn't like he was playing only in garbage time. How can one pad their stats against a solid starting big in Vucevic?

I ask once again. Did you even watch the game? What are you a pilgrim and have something against Turkey?
    You want to say I have something against Turks, for criticizing the signing of Omar ? Spencer is 7.2 and can shoot 3´s. I don´t think they are many players in the euroleague, that tall and capable of doieng this. Hawes also is a better shot blocker than Asik...

I will repeat from my last post...

"Not that I will say Spencer is a great player, but much better than Asik, he is."

Maybe he is a good dude, but not good enoug for our longterm ambitions.

- I have never missed a game since 2005...
    Last edited by Rakac Temha; 10-31-2014 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    This is amazing. I honestly feel it's a joke post it's so bad.

Actually, I thought the same about DT too.
    I really hope he is joking. Hawes better than Asik? That is crazy talk.

Hawes a better blocker than Asik. HA! You have to be joking troll. Or maybe you are just a Pelicans fan from 'Lighthouse for the Blind.'

Hawes a better blocker than Asik. HA! You have to be joking troll. Or maybe you are just a Pelicans fan from 'Lighthouse for the Blind.'
    I can't!!!!😂😂😂😂😂

Omer Asik vs Spencer Hawes career stats.....

5.6 points, 7.2 rebounds, 0.9 blocks...
    9.6 points, 6.4 rebounds, 1.1 blocks...

Sayonara...

Let's all say thanks to this guy. Will keep the board active leading up to the game.

Just what we needed.

Omer Asik vs Spencer Hawes career stats.....

5.6 points, 7.2 rebounds, 0.9 blocks...
    9.6 points, 6.4 rebounds, 1.1 blocks...

Sayonara...
    Your stat's are skewed because of minutes and playing time.

Hawes had more minutes because he was on a tankfest 76ers team that had no one better to play.

Asik was stuck behind Noah and the Howard.

Per 36 last year

Asik: 14 Total Rebounds per and 1.5 Blocks per
    Hawes:9 Total Rebounds Per and 1.2 blocks per

I'll take the 5 extra possessions that Asik gives you in a full game.

If somebody came on here and said that Drew Brees was a QB who struggled with accuracy, would we waste our time debating? Serious question.

That's the thing I don't get sometimes. When you see something that is so obviously incorrect, you know that you can't inform the person. Either they are a troll or they do not know the game. Just laugh and let it go.

If somebody came on here and said that Drew Brees was a QB who struggled with accuracy, would we waste our time debating? Serious question.

That's the thing I don't get sometimes. When you see something that is so obviously incorrect, you know that you can't inform the person. Either they are a troll or they do not know the game. Just laugh and let it go.
    You are right MM.

Rakac. I'm done with you....even though you still never answered my question about whether you even watched the game.

Disagree here MM. Sometimes goading the troll along provides much needed comedic relief.
    Associate Editor for The Bird Writes, the SBNation New Orleans Pelicans site.

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    Oh yeah...0.9 vs 1.1...huge difference!! It also doesn't help that you are using "simple stats" that don't account for any minutes per game differences to compare the two.

But anyway, defense is more than just blocking shots. I suggest digging into some advanced stats such as FG% allowed at the rim, defending post ups, foul rate, etc. for a better reflection of defensive ability and impact. I'm sure Bird Writes and BSS have some really good analytical articles on why Asik is an elite defender.

You may have been keeping up with the Pels for a while, but sorry, your basketball IQ is lacking.

You want to say I have something against Turks, for criticizing the signing of Omar ? Spencer is 7.2 and can shoot 3´s. I don´t think they are many players in the euroleague, that tall and capable of doieng this. Hawes also is a better shot blocker than Asik...

I will repeat from my last post...

"Not that I will say Spencer is a great player, but much better than Asik, he is."

Maybe he is a good dude, but not good enoug for our longterm ambitions.

- I have never missed a game since 2005...
    Haha this guy.

Yeah what this team that struggled to defend the paint because we had 2 starters that couldn't bang down low so we got taken advantage of in the paint, is a guy who is soft, can't defend and is the poor mans version of what we already have. Perfect fit.

Thread Information