Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Asik: I don't look at (or care about) the numbers

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar

Asik: I don't look at (or care about) the numbers

On the B&B Report today they were interviewing Asik during or after practice. Man, if you don't like this guy, I suggest you go listen to this interview. A reporter asked him how he felt about the numbers he and Davis were putting up and he said "I actually never look at the numbers, the important thing is just to win the game". Another reporter then asked "so during the course of the game you have no idea of what kind of numbers you are putting up? I mean you had a double double before halftime". Asik's response was "I usually don't think about that. Like who cares if you get a double double and lose the game, so the most important thing is to win the game".

I know many players say the numbers don't matter, but very rarely do I believe them. They give out stat sheets to the players during halftime and after the games. I can't remember who is was but there was a player who said as soon as he gets the stat sheet the first thing he looks at is his rebounds or assists or something like that. I just think Asik is being genuine and it just shows the kind of blue collar/lunch pail player he is.

I bet he looks real hard at his stats whenever it comes contract time. Otherwise, I've got a league minimum to offer you because you think you're playing good but meh.

Yeah right. He's got dual monitors at home. His stats on one screen and Dwight's on the other. Then he says "Boooyah b#@!@"

there are very few select centers who can fill the role we looked for. It'll be interesting to see how he feels if he is on the bench down the stretch in a close game, but I guess coach can always reference his poor free throw shooting on why he may not play down the stretch but still get his 30+ minutes

Quote Originally Posted by AD23nEG10 View Post
    there are very few select centers who can fill the role we looked for. It'll be interesting to see how he feels if he is on the bench down the stretch in a close game, but I guess coach can always reference his poor free throw shooting on why he may not play down the stretch but still get his 30+ minutes
    He usually did not finish the games that are close throughout his career, mostly because of this free throw problem. But I encourage people to believe him when he says that he doesn't care as long as he plays ball and his team wins, because he really is a unique character of an athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by AD23nEG10 View Post
    Nah man,he won't complain about if he will close Games or not(was sitting a couple of Times at the end because of his poor FT shooting in Hou),the reason why he was pissed was because they promised him to be the starter for the Rockets till the end of his contract and Morey obviously bringing Dwight next year(he also asked for a trade immediatly after Howard signed)

Sorry for my poor English by the Way

I don't believe Asik is going to be pulled from every game that's close in the end just because of his FT shooting. AD/Ryno are a better offensive threat and will be harder to match up with against certain teams, that is why we will see them at the end of some games. But let's not act like AD and Ryno are going to be able to stop every front court we have close games against - defensively speaking of course. Tyson Chandler shot 53, 59 and 58 percent from the FT line while he was here. I don't remember him being pulled from the end of a lot of games that wasn't foul related.

Yes. He cares more about winning than his own personal stats. I believe that.

I don't for one second believe he has no idea what his stats are. Monty literally reads off of the stat card in post game interviews. AD knows all of his stats right after the game. Tell him he averaged 4 rebs and 6 points during contract negotiations and I bet he spouts off his stats.

The vibe I get off Asik is that he is very satisfied to finally be recognized as a true starting center in the league. He obviously felt disrespected in Houston. The fact that we traded a number one pick for him and paired him with Davis as a key player on the team may go a long way to helping us retain his services after this year (assuming the money is close). So far in pre-season and first game, he looks like an ideal fit for us at the 5 and just the kind of partner AD needs to play his best brand of ball.

I love this guy

You would be suprised at how shy he is. Saw him at target the other day and he had to get his gf to go ask to get a copy of 2k for him while he "browsed" a few aisles away.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludiculous View Post
    You would be suprised at how shy he is. Saw him at target the other day and he had to get his gf to go ask to get a copy of 2k for him while he "browsed" a few aisles away.
    You saw him buying 2k? Haha that's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    You saw him buying 2k? Haha that's awesome.
    Yeah it was pretty cool seeing him out. (Seeing famous people never happens to me. My brother has seen Austin rivers and dell demps out) I saw his gf coming around a corner and was like she is pretty fine. Super tall tho, then I saw Asiks chest through a shelf and was like wow the dude she with is crazy tall he should play basketball. Then I saw it was asik and was like oh snap he does play basketball

Quote Originally Posted by Ludiculous View Post
    Yeah it was pretty cool seeing him out. (Seeing famous people never happens to me. My brother has seen Austin rivers and dell demps out) I saw his gf coming around a corner and was like she is pretty fine. Super tall tho, then I saw Asiks chest through a shelf and was like wow the dude she with is crazy tall he should play basketball. Then I saw it was asik and was like oh snap he does play basketball
    You should have done a jumping chest bump with him.

*off to trawl Google Images for pics for his GF*

Someone needs to teach Asik about Amazon. . .he will never need to talk to another human again.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    Tyson Chandler shot 53, 59 and 58 percent from the FT line while he was here. I don't remember him being pulled from the end of a lot of games that wasn't foul related.
    We also didn't have an Anthony Davis to shift over to the 5 back then. It was either Chandler or Birdman/Hilton Armstrong. blah....

I like Asik. Such a humble looking guy.

I think maybe the shyness comes from being 7 feet tall with a language barrier.

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    We also didn't have an Anthony Davis to shift over to the 5 back then. It was either Chandler or Birdman/Hilton Armstrong. blah....
    But you are talking about offense. Offensively sure that switch is a no brainier and would give almost any team fits. I just don't think defensively they are going to be able to stop every front court when it counts at the end of a close game like that.

But you are talking about offense. Offensively sure that switch is a no brainier and would give almost any team fits. I just don't think defensively they are going to be able to stop every front court when it counts at the end of a close game like that.
    I don't think anyone expects them to stop every front court. The strength of the closing 5 is running up the score.

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    I don't think anyone expects them to stop every front court. The strength of the closing 5 is running up the score.
    What about when we need to stop a team defensively? I'm just saying I wouldn't expect to see Asik pulled every single time the game is close.

What about when we need to stop a team defensively?
    That's when we pray the perimeter defense of Jrue/Gordon is enough and Brow can stop them should they get in the paint.
    It's the price we pay for having such great offense & FT shooting on the court. (except Game 1 of this season which was an anomaly)

I'm sure he does but he doesn't go out looking to boost his stats.

I think people will be surprised at how often Asik closes out games. I have a feeling if we have a decent lead Asik will be in the game to help keep it.

I don´t think that Omar is a legit starting center in this league. He is playing tough, I will give him some credit for that, but this is not enough if you want to be a contender in this league. Thats not the euroleague, this is some real tough NBA basketball where you need elite athleticism and talent to compete. He is avarage at playing defense, just 1 block per game playing more than 30 minutes a night 2012/2013 for the Rockets as a starting 5 player. He is an avarage rebounder and is worse at shooting FT´s than Dwight Howard was. I doubt that Omar is capable of guarding elite athleticism in the NBA... We had so many options at FAm or via trades, why the Hell we have tradet for Omar ??? I hope we will not re-sign his contract, 14 Million a year for this guy, looks worse than Ebola.
    Last edited by Rakac Temha; 10-31-2014 at 08:28 PM.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakac Temha View Post
    I don´t think that Omar is a legit starting center in this league. He is playing tough, I will give him some credit for that, but this is not enough if you want to be a contender in this league. Thats not the euroleague, this is some real tough NBA basketball where you need elite athleticism and talent to compete. He is avarage at playing defense, just 1 block per game playing more than 30 minutes a night 2012/2013 for the Rockets as a starting 5 player. He is an avarage rebounder and is worse at shooting FT´s than Dwight Howard was. I doubt that Omar is capable of guarding elite athleticism in the NBA... We had so many options at FAm or via trades, why the Hell we have tradet for Omar ??? I hope we will not re-sign his contract, 14 Million a year for this guy, looks worse than Ebola.
    I think you could have saved your first post for a different subject.....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Thread Information