Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What the hell Jrue

What the hell Jrue

First of all I would like to say I have been a jrue holiday fan since his Ucla days but what the hell is going on with him ,I know it's only the first game of the season but homeboy has been stinking up the joint even before we knew he was injured last season. I hope he gets it together because there is no way we're making the playoffs In this tough western conference if everyone is not 100%. Okay I'm done

He's coming back from a serious injury and is only 80% fit.

Uhm he was actually getting back to form before the injury sooooo yeah must be watching something different

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    He said before the opening tip off that he's at 80% health right now. His defense was fine, the offense is the thing that is getting most affected by the health. So let's just calm down, it will come. O and what the heck are you talking about last year? Before he was injured he was having his most efficient season of his career.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Don't know what you're talking about, sir. But Jrue played well before his injury.

Also, if only the NBA season were absurdly long, so players have ample time to shake off the rust and get in form before the absurdly long playoffs.

Oh, if only!

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Don't know what you're talking about, sir. But Jrue played well before his injury.

Also, if only the NBA season were absurdly long, so players have ample time to shake off the rust and get in form before the absurdly long playoffs.

Oh, if only!
    Agreed that he played well before the injury, and would've played even better if he had time to learn the offense. He's just shaking off some rust and will be fine.

It is weird though that after all that time off, he'd say he's still only at 80%. How long does it take to recover to 100%?

Keep calm it's only one game.

His injuries would let me forgive not getting enough on a jumper or getting beat on defense, etc. It should not effect poor IQ decisions, however, and Jrue had several of those. Took some shots that were just indefensible (not in a good way). He took the ball to the hole twice and finished with ease, but rarely did it again. He is capable of it, but he just seems like he would prefer to shoot 20 footers. You might say that he knows he is not explosive yet, and that is why he won't drive - and that's fine - but if that is true, that doesn't mean you have to settle for 20 footers either.

I am a big Holiday fan, but if you aren't at least somewhat concerned, you aren't being honest with yourself IMO.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    His injuries would let me forgive not getting enough on a jumper or getting beat on defense, etc. It should not effect poor IQ decisions, however, and Jrue had several of those. Took some shots that were just indefensible (not in a good way). He took the ball to the hole twice and finished with ease, but rarely did it again. He is capable of it, but he just seems like he would prefer to shoot 20 footers. You might say that he knows he is not explosive yet, and that is why he won't drive - and that's fine - but if that is true, that doesn't mean you have to settle for 20 footers either.

I am a big Holiday fan, but if you aren't at least somewhat concerned, you aren't being honest with yourself IMO.
    He missed 8 months of basketball. He started off slow last season can we at leat play 5 games b4 we worry?

1-6

Couldn't say it better myself. Jrue seems to be facing more mental mistakes more than anything. I think after 12 games or more, he should be fine. Its gonna be a tough little stretch right now.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

I'm honestly not. You know the mental aspect of playing basketball I'd a large part. Jrue isn't fully healthy and it is effecting his decisions. That is to be expected. He is trying to feel himself out and get used to not having to think about his leg. He also got busted in the head first night back. The 20 ft jumped make perfect sense even if they were bad.

If he is still doing this in a couple of months then I will worry.

Isn't poor decision making part of the rust, though? When I've been off work for a week and come back, it takes me a while to get back into a groove. And that's one week versus, what, 8 months?

Banned
    On the other side, I loved watching Tyreke handle the ball hog role with Jrue getting so little touches. Makes me feel that if jrue went down, or even Gordon went down we might even get more production out of our starters!

If you go back and rewatch the game, Jrue in the 1st half and Jrue in the 2nd half (pre head injury) were 2 totally different players. In the first he definitely looked timid and unsure of his abilities, but in the 2nd half he was hounding the ball, only taking open jumpers, and getting to the rack. After the injury he didn't have much of a chance to impact the game anymore because it was all but out of reach.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I'm honestly not. You know the mental aspect of playing basketball I'd a large part. Jrue isn't fully healthy and it is effecting his decisions. That is to be expected. He is trying to feel himself out and get used to not having to think about his leg. He also got busted in the head first night back. The 20 ft jumped make perfect sense even if they were bad.

If he is still doing this in a couple of months then I will worry.
    Was he coming off a major injury in Philly when he took far too many midrange shots and was relatively inefficient?

It benefits us to convince ourselves that it is a rust issue, but I don't know if that's true. We shall see

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    I mean.....like.....we've played 1 game of the season.......

Right.

Saying, "Trade him, he is terrible" would be an overreaction.

Saying, "He has shown a tendency for being inefficient in the past and it might have gotten a little worse." is not IMO

He's overrated. Has been since he got is All Star spot in a terrible conference with other pg's injured.

Reke is the best pg on this team.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Before he got hurt he was smooth and efficient.

He just needs to get over the mental hurdles after being injured.

It will come.

I hate being a Debbie Downer about Jrue because I really like him, but he has had one efficient month - December of 2013.

If others aren't worried, good for you. I am a little worried long term. Or at least until Gordon leaves

He didn't play bad...give the guy a break, it's the first game of the season....He missed half the season, It's ridiculous to think he'll step in and play at an allstar level physically or mentally after missing so much time....IMO his defense was good and besides it'll be nights where he'll score 20 plus ....it's a long season......RELAX!!!!!!!!

I hate being a Debbie Downer about Jrue because I really like him, but he has had one efficient month - December of 2013.

If others aren't worried, good for you. I am a little worried long term. Or at least until Gordon leaves
    Hmm, lets do the math Oct we played 1 game, Nov he got into form, Dec he played well in a grove, and Jan he was hurt.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Let's keep in mind that he'd only been in our system for about 2 months before he got hurt. (Nov-Dec of last year, before Monty knew what he had in Jrue/Tyreke)

It seems basically that the brief against Holiday boils down to that he shows low basketball IQ because he likes to take mid-range jump shots, a filthy habit he picked up while carrying a team in Philly.

I'll leave aside the unholy evil of the midrange jump shot (!) to note that Jrue looked pretty good on both sides of the ball in the second half, especially for a player that I think everyone who follows the club doesn't expect to round into form until the second quarter of the season. If he needs to pump up a few mid-rangers to get into the flow of the game, then he's got my personal green light. Sorry McNamara!

When expectations change, so will evaluations.

You think people blast Westbrook if he is on a garbage team? No, he would be the only good thing they got. But he is on a title contender and now the bar is much higher and the nitpicking happens. People all wanted this team to get attention from the national media - well, there is two sides. Prepare for our players to be picked apart as the spotlight gets brighter. And perhaps rightfully so.

If AD doesn't win titles, he won't get the blame - his teammates will. Including Jrue.

Thread Information