Pelicans Report

Thread: Marc Stein's Power Rankings: Has Pelicans at 17

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar

Marc Stein's Power Rankings: Has Pelicans at 17

http://espn.go.com/nba/powerrankings/_/year/2015/week/0

MVP sleeper? Top-five player? I fear the Anthony Davis hype has hiked the bar higher than even The Brow can reach at what still ranks as a formative stage of his career. But maybe he'll prove me wrong and hit those heights this season. Can't hurt that the Pels are starting out healthy (for a change).
    Preseason power rankings are the best

The hell...Behind the Raptors, Hornets and Hawks?

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by speedyG View Post
    The hell...Behind the Raptors, Hornets and Hawks?
    Did you mean the Bobcats? According to that article, it's the Bobcats

Honestly, i like the Hornets a lot in the East. I think they'll be in the top 5 seeds.

I was doubting the pels a little bit, but i've been thinking that this is the first full team the brow has played on since entering the NBA. I am making the prediction for a top 6 finish in the West with no regard for established good teams.

If we were in the East I think we would beat out ATL and Charlotte pretty easy if healthy. Probably Miami and Toronto too. Those teams aint making the playoff in the West

Someone talk me into Toronto. I've seen people giving them the three seed in the east (I think Schwan did) but I haven't heard of compelling reason why they'd be better than last year. Sure they played better post Rudy Gay but they also have an injury prone point guard, Valenciounas wasn't good, DeRozan has hit his peak, so why would they suddenly become a 3 seed?
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    Someone talk me into Toronto. I've seen people giving them the three seed in the east (I think Schwan did) but I haven't heard of compelling reason why they'd be better than last year. Sure they played better post Rudy Gay but they also have an injury prone point guard, Valenciounas wasn't good, DeRozan has hit his peak, so why would they suddenly become a 3 seed?
    I'll give it a shot. The East is a mess... I know I know, shocking right? But there's more. I can only name two teams: Cleveland and Atlanta, that don't have legitimate questions on offense. Every team in the east, even Cleveland to an extent is trying to figure out who they are on offense, though Cleveland has the luxury of the most talented roster and talented player. So to answer your question...Toronto is a team that plays 50+ win defense in a conference full of teams trying to find themselves offensively. Of the top teams in the East from last year they have the least of amount of turnover (or major additions). That has to mean something. It won't make up for their lack of talent compared to Chicago and Cleveland, but for everybody else it should put them in pole position amongst the rest of the conference.

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    I'll give it a shot. The East is a mess... I know I know, shocking right? But there's more. I can only name two teams: Cleveland and Atlanta, that don't have legitimate questions on offense. Every team in the east, even Cleveland to an extent is trying to figure out who they are on offense, though Cleveland has the luxury of the most talented roster and talented player. So to answer your question...Toronto is a team that plays 50+ win defense in a conference full of teams trying to find themselves offensively. Of the top teams in the East from last year they have the least of amount of turnover (or major additions). That has to mean something. It won't make up for their lack of talent compared to Chicago and Cleveland, but for everybody else it should put them in pole position amongst the rest of the conference.
    Good points. I still see Miami, Washington, Chicago, Charlotte, and Atlanta as better teams. I even think a healthy Brooklyn is better. I also looked at their depth chart and I lke their bench. Theyre real thin at PG though.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    I hate Marc Stein.

What really confuses me about this is yes Marc Stein has the Pelicans at 17, but he predicted Asik to be most improved (http://espn.go.com/nba/notebook/_/pa...er-predictions) and Ryno to be 6th man of the year (http://espn.go.com/nba/notebook/_/pa...rd-predictions).

I think people are taking power rankings out of context. Typically they're based off of the last thing they see. Let's give him time to update them as he sees our product on the court before getting hurt about this.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Yeah but power rankings are pretty subjective. If Marc thinks the Pels will heat up enough to bring attention to Asik and Ryno for those predicted awards, he must think we have some glaring weaknesses (to rationalize his rating) that will be resolved in a big way

Thread Information