Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Toronto waives Jordan Hamilton?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I just don't understand why - if all these SF's had all the tools that some seem to think they do - Why are they getting cut by Denver, LA, Houston, and Toronto? How can a player not even make these other teams' rosters, yet get real minutes for us?

If thats true, that scares me about our team.
    I'm not saying he'll get minutes right away. However, if he is a bottom of the bench guy for a month or two, and he picks up the scheme, then we'll have a contributor. I mean, it's just being proactive with a guy who has shown flashes in the past.

Do you honestly think Miller has anything to contribute to this team based off what we have seen in the past? Because if the answer is no, then why not make a change?

We're talking about a guy in the preseason who averaged 10 points, 3.6 rebounds, 2 assists, and 1.2 steals in only 20 minutes. Oh yeah, and he shot 57% from the field and 50% from 3.
    Last edited by nolaslim213; 10-26-2014 at 09:09 PM.

Toronto need to release Hamilton because they had only one spot open.
    They needed a C so they went with GS.

If Hamilton was on the team and Miller was a free agent, I believe people would want to cut Hamilton and pick up Miller. I truly do.

All these guys stink. We know our current ones aren't the long term answer, but we want to believe an answer is out there, so we anoint all these other terrible guys. But they aren't the answer, and no, I don't think they are better or could be better for us with a few months of learning the system on the fly (which is far different than learning it in camp).

In a pinch, Miller can help out. Have we already forgotten him basically winning the game for us against the Clippers in late March? 16 points on 9 shots, including several clutch ones in the 4th in a game the Pels won by 2. He also was big in the Houston game in the 2nd to last game of the year, playing some PG, coming up with 5 assists and 4 steals.

Look, I want to find the SF answer as much as anybody, but it is not going to be as easy as finding a castoff and swapping out Miller or Withey for that guy IMO.
    @mcnamara247

I just don't understand why - if all these SF's had all the tools that some seem to think they do - Why are they getting cut by Denver, LA, Houston, and Toronto? How can a player not even make these other teams' rosters, yet get real minutes for us?

When you have nothing but coconuts you need to scrounge around for some lime sometimes.

There is no argument I can make for Miller over Hamilton that isn't outweighed by Hamilton simply being better.

End of bench? Sure. But even a 1% increase to a player that we put out on the court is worth it.

We shouldn't even factor in what other teams do. We need a 3 badly. If you elevate our players and Hamilton has the potential to be better than the guys here I think you sign him. There's really nothing at all to lose. I think Jordan has the potential to be better than every option at SF.

If I read "there is nothing to lose" one more time, I think I might flip out.

1. Thats a terrible argument for anything
    2. It's simply not true. EVERYTHING has a cost. Be it opportunity cost, talent cost, chemistry cost, leadership cost, corporate knowledge cost, etc. etc.

Everything has a cost.

weell hold on there a sec, these guys didnt make those teams at those specific positions, maybe it was their skillset, maybe it was their whatever man, there are reasons beyond they just suck or something, and we look at teams overall with an emphasis on talent and yes, a guy like miller or the recently cut hamilton would raise our talent level over guys like salmons and maybe darius at this point, if they are even at equal talent level to them then by the time they get the system down, theyll be, as you say, much better players overall. I'd take that today over the potential of either darius or salmons at this point...

2. It's simply not true. EVERYTHING has a cost. Be it opportunity cost, talent cost, chemistry cost, leadership cost, corporate knowledge cost, etc. etc.

Everything has a cost.
    1st sorry just because you say something is terrible doesn't make it so. We need help at a spot and if it means cutting a player that won't play we have that's basically nothing.

2nd if you think cutting Whitney or Miller is going to hurt this team well we have much bigger issues. Sure it cost something, but when you compare it to what we have to gain it's really nothing.

The basis of my point isn't "why not" it's if we think Hamilton can make us better(and I do) than it's nothing to bring him in.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    1st sorry just because you say something is terrible doesn't make it so. We need help at a spot and if it means cutting a player that won't play we have that's basically nothing.

2nd if you think cutting Whitney or Miller is going to hurt this team well we have much bigger issues. Sure it cost something, but when you compare it to what we have to gain it's really nothing.
    You can't cut players that have guaranteed contracts without it going against the cap.
    Withey is guaranteed.

We have no cap space to sign Hamilton.
    Last edited by AUSSIE_PELICAN; 10-26-2014 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    You can't cut players that have guaranteed contracts without it going against the cap.
    Withey and Miller are guaranteed.

He's a minimum contract. I bet Benson could look under his sofa and find some spare change if we really wanted him.

Everything has a cost.
    You should really leave these threads then.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    He's a minimum contract. I bet Benson could look under his sofa and find some spare change if we really wanted him.
    Yes but you would have to cut Withey who is owed 1M and they pay Hamilton 1M....that's 2M of spare change?

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Withey is guaranteed.

Sham sports says Whitney is non guaranteed. Could be wrong though, but he's a 2nd rounder so his contract should be non guaranteed if I'm not mistaken.

Sham sports says Whitney is non guaranteed. Could be wrong though, but he's a 2nd rounder so his contract should be non guaranteed if I'm not mistaken.
    Not according to this:

http://en.hispanosnba.com/salaries/t...leans-pelicans

or

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/new_orleans.htm

Can we just start a sticky thread titled: "Let's sign (insert SF who has a pulse)"

It would be far more efficient
    Considering our SF are on life support it's not such a bad idea.

I will always love Whitney

If Hamilton was on the team and Miller was a free agent, I believe people would want to cut Hamilton and pick up Miller. I truly do.

All these guys stink. We know our current ones aren't the long term answer, but we want to believe an answer is out there, so we anoint all these other terrible guys. But they aren't the answer, and no, I don't think they are better or could be better for us with a few months of learning the system on the fly (which is far different than learning it in camp).

In a pinch, Miller can help out. Have we already forgotten him basically winning the game for us against the Clippers in late March? 16 points on 9 shots, including several clutch ones in the 4th in a game the Pels won by 2. He also was big in the Houston game in the 2nd to last game of the year, playing some PG, coming up with 5 assists and 4 steals.

Look, I want to find the SF answer as much as anybody, but it is not going to be as easy as finding a castoff and swapping out Miller or Withey for that guy IMO.
    There was a time that your offseason thoughts were PJ Tucker or Hamilton at the SF. Has he regressed such that he would not be at least a better prospect than Miller?

We shouldn't even factor in what other teams do. We need a 3 badly. If you elevate our players and Hamilton has the potential to be better than the guys here I think you sign him. There's really nothing at all to lose. I think Jordan has the potential to be better than every option at SF.
    Couldn't agree more. I would take hamilton > miller every day.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    I believe SF will be fine. SF is always an issue when you have to defend Carmelo and LeBron. But I believe that Reke will surprise all of us. I expect a mature pelicans team that can hang with the best in this league. Remember Asik changes everything for our defense. Reke will defend well. I think Babbitt will be effective. We will kick butt!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i'm just trying to think of anything miller or babbitt due better than hamilton. Miller is a better passer but that's all i can come up with. hamilton is the superior scorer, defender, rebounder.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    There was a time that your offseason thoughts were PJ Tucker or Hamilton at the SF. Has he regressed such that he would not be at least a better prospect than Miller?
    That wasn't MM. MM made a post basically saying, "can anyone make a valid argument for Hamilton", I compared him to Tucker and it was a solid argument. MM has never liked Hamilton or at best he will say there was the 1st half of one season he liked him.

This is well treaded territory. It's why I advised him it'd prob be better if he leave this thread.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    I will always love Whitney

Everything is matchup based.

Tyreke can play the 3.
    The only time we will have issues with Tyreke playing the 3 is when facing Lebron, Durant, etc.
    (edit: who doesn't have issues with these guys in this league?)

Ryno can also play the 3 (but as MM has said before) should not be doing so against any 3 that can put the ball on the floor and create his own shot.

So Tyreke (2)
    and Ryno (stretch 4)

2+4 = 3?

.....somebody check my math.

Hamilton has been discussed a ton already, so I won't waste time looking at previous years, that has already been posted before. Instead let's look at Preseason to see if anything new has changed.

During Preseason Hamilton shot 59.5% from the field, 54.5% from 3pt. In 18mins a game he scored 9 Pts, grabbed 3 Rebs, 2 assists, and 1 steal.

In nearly the exact same minutes per game Miller shot 40.6% from the field, 26.7% from 3pt. In 19 minutes a game he scored 4.5pts, 1 Reb, 1 ast, 0 steals.

Hamilton has a better FG%, 3pt %, he scored more, rebounded better, passed better, and got more steals than EVERY backup SF on our team. He beat every single one of our backups in every category except for FT and TOV.

Am I saying he is our answer to SF? No. Am I saying he is better than our trash? Yes. As I said earlier and was ignored, even if bringing Hamilton in is only a 1% net increase to the team - if your goal is to always put the best players you can on the floor, don't you do that?

If you have the option of leaving your money in 1 bank, or using another bank and getting 1% interest on it, don't you take the gains? It's really that simple to me.

I like Darius. I like his personality and it makes me happy when he plays well.

That being said, I'm starting to think the only reason he's still here is that he was Brow's college teammate.

Thread Information