Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Pelicans Decline Fourth-Year Option On Austin Rivers

After reading the article I think it's pretty clear (if true they don't pick it up) that they don't expect Rivers to make a big jump.

Dell is basically betting against Rivers that he won't be worth that small amount. If he expected Rivers to make any significant jump then like the article brings out it simply doesn't make sense to not opt in.

This either speaks volumes about Dell's evaluation of Rivers if it ends up true or it tips his hand that he really wants to make a move near deadline.

Either way I don't like it.

In a weird way this feels like what Houston did with Chandler Parsons. In no way do I mean talent wise but it just feels like they are trying to get just a little bit too cute with their moves and I'd hate for it to come back and bite us like it did Houston.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 10-25-2014 at 01:51 PM.

Banned
    I have to say I wasn't expecting this because he does have length for defense as well as quickness for his size. I think that game where they pressured in the fourth really hurt him.

We are going to have to give AD a part of the damn franchise. Last summer when teams were clearing out to bid on Labron and co. it was making me sick to think of this happening when AD gets to test the FA waters. You know the Lakers are probably thinking about it now. That is how they win multiple championships. if i was an orlando fan, shaq leaving would have soured me forever

Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post
    We are going to have to give AD a part of the damn franchise. Last summer when teams were clearing out to bid on Labron and co. it was making me sick to think of this happening when AD gets to test the FA waters. You know the Lakers are probably thinking about it now. That is how they win multiple championships. if i was an orlando fan, shaq leaving would have soured me forever
    AD is going to be here for at least another six years. We've already exercised our team option on him for next year and there's no way he isn't getting the five-year max before or after he hits RFA next year.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

http://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.s...o_make_pe.html

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Rivers
    It's one of those things where they are going to talk to me about re-upping it after this year. (But) listen, I don't believe it.
    Can anyone translate? Does he expect or not expect an Aminu deal?

Quote Originally Posted by greewe View Post
    http://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.s...o_make_pe.html

Can anyone translate? Does he expect or not expect an Aminu deal?
    He's not going to resign. He probably feels like he has no chance of being a starter here with our guard deph or breaking out i also believe he would like a new start. Rivers also has to realize most teams would have cyt him by now.

1-6

Banned
    With his comments and I like the guy, "he shouldn't play."

Taken in context with everything else from the article I think he's just viewing the situation cynically rather than naively and plans to prove his worth. It doesn't sound like there's any ill will, but there also isn't any undue loyalty. He'll pick the best situation available to him next year. I wouldn't be too worried unless Gordon gets injured so we're both stuck with Gordon and give Rivers the minutes he needs to earn a better contract than we can afford while stuck with Gordon and needing to upgrade the SF spot. On the flip side if we do move Gordon this will probably be the best situation for Rivers going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Asteptooslow View Post
    With his comments and I like the guy, "he shouldn't play."
    I hope that he doesn't get any minutes. If he feels that he has something to prove, I'm now scared. He's not a good nba player and now he feels that he needs to prove us wrong. That's a bad combination
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    I hope that he doesn't get any minutes. If he feels that he has something to prove, I'm now scared. He's not a good nba player and now he feels that he needs to prove us wrong. That's a bad combination
    That's silly logic. I want the best players in the game whenever possible. If Monty feels Austin is our best backup guard I want him playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    That's silly logic. I want the best players in the game whenever possible. If Monty feels Austin is our best backup guard I want him playing.
    But is he the best back-up guard? That's the question.

Maybe it's the rocket he needs to start performing on the court?

I think it's a good strategic move by Dell.

But is he the best back-up guard? That's the question.
    I said if Monty thinks so

Rivers main problem is THINKING too much. If he would just react instead of think his game would be so much better. Even saw it in the scrimmage, its like he does this pause before making any kind of move. That split second in basketball means a lot.

I'm OK with this. Rivers hasn't lived up to a #10 pick at all. Is he getting better? Yes. Still not worth the option.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    Rivers main problem is THINKING too much. If he would just react instead of think his game would be so much better. Even saw it in the scrimmage, its like he does this pause before making any kind of move. That split second in basketball means a lot.
    Agreed. I think he has decent bball instincts, he needs to stop second guessing himself.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    Agreed. I think he has decent bball instincts, he needs to stop second guessing himself.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    I'm over this kid. The book on him was written in HS. The reports were true, he was cooky and arrogant. Between his year at Duke and time with Monty, I do believe a light came on, but it's too late. The seeds of inconsistency have been planted and it will take years of hard work and discipline to undue the damage to his game. This is a good move.

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    I'm over this kid. The book on him was written in HS. The reports were true, he was cooky and arrogant. Between his year at Duke and time with Monty, I do believe a light came on, but it's too late. The seeds of inconsistency have been planted and it will take years of hard work and discipline to undue the damage to his game. This is a good move.
    I'm sorry. What has AR ever done while here to make you think he is cocky and arrogant?

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    I'm sorry. What has AR ever done while here to make you think he is cocky and arrogant?
    Read my post again.

I'm still pulling for him but his lack of court vision, inability to finish at the rim and inability to shoot a decent free throw % may be his undoing. His advanced stats are not favorable in terms of +/-, TS % or WS. He was given the most minutes of any Pelican player in pre-season but did not take advantage of the minutes and seemed to regress instead of improve. He is neither an effective PG or SG and I am concerned that he is worse at PG. I think the next 2-3 months will be critical in determining if he can contribute in the NBA. Hopefully he will develop some chemistry with Gordon and the rest of the 2ncd unit and step up his game. As far as his comments, some top drafted players are payed on their rookie contract and some are paid after their contract. It is apparent that the Pelicans feel that he was payed "on" his rookie contract and not worth his option value. I don't agree with but do understand this move. Ultimately I think it is is business move with implications that only Dell knows. I do believe that Monty and the entire organization was consulted prior to the decision.
    Last edited by DRDJ1; 10-25-2014 at 11:30 PM.
    Season ticket holder since 2002
    Mostly just trying to satisfy my OCD tendencies by getting to 3,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    Read my post again.
    Your post makes even less sense if that's how you meant it.

Since when is a light coming on BEFORE the person even makes it to the NBA too late?

After reading the article I think it's pretty clear (if true they don't pick it up) that they don't expect Rivers to make a big jump.

Dell is basically betting against Rivers that he won't be worth that small amount. If he expected Rivers to make any significant jump then like the article brings out it simply doesn't make sense to not opt in.

This either speaks volumes about Dell's evaluation of Rivers if it ends up true or it tips his hand that he really wants to make a move near deadline.

Either way I don't like it.

In a weird way this feels like what Houston did with Chandler Parsons. In no way do I mean talent wise but it just feels like they are trying to get just a little bit too cute with their moves and I'd hate for it to come back and bite us like it did Houston.
    Although I do highly respect your opinion, I can't possibly correlate the Parsons situation with Austin. Chandler was the 38th pick in the second round in 2011, was paid 850,000 in 2012 and signed to a 46 million dollar contract by the Mavs. He was on the second team rookie of the year team. The reason he was "paid" was because he over-performed. Austin was the 10th pick in the 2012 draft on an over 7 million dollar 3 year guaranteed salary with an option that was over 3 million and has under-performed. I have to believe that Dell and the organization understand his value and do not think he is worth a 3 million dollar price tag on the open market. That doesn't mean that he will or will not be resigned next year but the organization obviously thinks that he can be replaced if needed at a lower price. For example, they signed Jimmer for less than 1 million dollars and I'm not sure if they think Austin is out performing Jimmer at 3 times the cost. Don't get me wrong, I'm not implying that Jimmer is a better player than Austin but he may be a better value. Hell, I don't even know how Russ is competing against Austin in practice even though I haven't seen anything to suggest that Russ could stick.
    Last edited by DRDJ1; 10-26-2014 at 12:01 AM.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Does this mean we'll be signing Jimmer long term?

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    Does this mean we'll be signing Jimmer long term?
    Be still my heart.

Could this board take that much Jimmer?
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Thread Information