Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bill Simmons is at it again!

Bill Simmons is at it again!

I make no apologies, I enjoy BS's writing. If not factual at least it is entertaining.

While reading his Annual League Report he brought up something that I hadn't thought about before, but would be amazing.

Simmons: Those guys definitely fail the “Would It Be Fun To Play With Him?” test. But Davis, Asik and Jrue Holiday … that’s a pretty nice start. I wish we could bring Don Nelson out of his Hawaii hibernation to coach these guys. There’s a legitimately entertaining style lurking somewhere in here. Let’s just say that I don’t trust Monty Williams to unleash it.

Lowe: I kind of trust him. He runs some funky stuff on offense, even if too much of it results in midrange jumpers. That’s part of the reason it’s good to have Anderson back — he really opens up their playbook. They were a solid offensive team last season, and lights-out when they had all their guys. The defense is the bigger question, though it’s hard to be even below-average with Asik and Brow.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/th...nkings-part-2/
    We all agree that Monty has something special on his hands, and to this point he hasn't had a chance to unleash it all due to injury and incompetency. It really would be something to bring Don Nelson in here and let him coach this team. If nothing else, it would be one of the most exciting teams this side of Golden State.

Anyway, the read is pretty expected (banging the drum of trading Noel, and now apparently Elfryd Payton).
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Bill Simmons has probably only seen Tyreke play once against the Celtics like 3 years ago and made his decision solely based off that

Bill Simmons is a source of entertainment, not a source of information.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

You can't be even semi-informed on all 30 teams. You just can't. Impossible.

Read local, ignore national. At least for information. Entertainment? I listed to every BS report when I walk my dog. I like his guests a lot.

Never hope to learn from it though. We have plenty of info from people who ONLY focus on the Pelicans, so go there for info. Heck, go HERE for info. Everybody on this board has watched Tyreke more than Simmons.
    @mcnamara247

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    Tyreke has to be one of the most misunderstood and underrated players in the league. I love his game and the way he beaks down a defense in invaluable.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    Tyreke has to be one of the most misunderstood and underrated players in the league. I love his game and the way he beaks down a defense in invaluable.
    He has missed 7 shots this preseason.

On 6 of them, we got the offensive rebound and put it back for a bucket. He has taken 13 shots this preseason. He also took 4 additional shots on which he got fouled and took free throws. 17 possessions in which he tried to score. The Pelicans scored 32 points on those 17 possessions.

Hey guys, I was thinking that NO looks pretty strong vs. Dallas tonight. Any suggestions on what they might look like against the Mavs?

I was actually looking to see what the line on the game was and we are a 3 point fave tonight. Thoughts.....

Take the Mavs. We won't play our guys

Quote Originally Posted by Pelican12 View Post
    I was actually looking to see what the line on the game was and we are a 3 point fave tonight. Thoughts.....
    Yah I put 50 bucks on (-2.5). I would guess the mavs will be resting up. I could be horribly wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Take the Mavs. We won't play our guys
    Are you certain or just guessing?

Hey McNamara....I thought we were playing our bigs tonight? It's our last game in ps.

I heard bigs tonight....what'd you hear MMEmbreno?

I heard bigs tonight....what'd you hear MMEmbreno?
    Haven't heard anything yet but I would assume the mavs would rest some of their older guys. I like taking the like early (2.5-3) now so if the mavs announce they are resting or aren't playing guys at much I will have the line at a good price. It could go the other way though and Pels could rest a lot of guys and then line could be even or have us as an underdog before tip.

Monty said, "We won't see the main guys much, if at all" in the Dallas game.

Doesn't get more horses mouth than that

He has missed 7 shots this preseason.

On 6 of them, we got the offensive rebound and put it back for a bucket. He has taken 13 shots this preseason. He also took 4 additional shots on which he got fouled and took free throws. 17 possessions in which he tried to score. The Pelicans scored 32 points on those 17 possessions.
    Rename the Kobe assist to the Tyreke Assist!

What's so interesting is how similar Harden and Tyreke's games are. Yet I can't stand Harden and Love Tyreke. I narrowed down why earlier. Its because Tyreke doesn't drive and play for the foul. He drives to get to the basket every time. I also feel his game translates far better to the playoffs than Harden's.

It's certain my good to hear how well his impact is. I'm fearful people will look at his FG% only and think he is horrible on offense.

MME....we won't see much of Dallas bigs or our bigs tonight??Thanks.

MME....we won't see much of Dallas bigs or our bigs tonight??Thanks.
    Well from what Monty said he won't see much of our bigs so I Coudnt tell you for sure. I still assume dallas rests players as well, I already threw money on it, not really confident but They have covered for me well so far this pre season.

Kool, thanks buddy.

You can't be even semi-informed on all 30 teams. You just can't. Impossible.

Read local, ignore national. At least for information. Entertainment? I listed to every BS report when I walk my dog. I like his guests a lot.

Never hope to learn from it though. We have plenty of info from people who ONLY focus on the Pelicans, so go there for info. Heck, go HERE for info. Everybody on this board has watched Tyreke more than Simmons.
    Sorry but i play NBA 2K and i know most players strengths and weaknesses.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Sorry but i play NBA 2K and i know most players strengths and weaknesses.
    Guys, it's Ok, I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night and can confirm that NBA 2k is the ultimate source for all basketball information.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaLegs View Post
    Guys, it's Ok, I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night and can confirm that NBA 2k is the ultimate source for all basketball information.
    Was it a JRUE Holiday Inn?

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    What's so interesting is how similar Harden and Tyreke's games are. Yet I can't stand Harden and Love Tyreke. I narrowed down why earlier. Its because Tyreke doesn't drive and play for the foul. He drives to get to the basket every time.
    Indeed.
    Harden plays to draw the foul, not to get a good shot. He's more focused on flailing than getting off a good shot.
    This is not the right way to play. If he's not getting the call, then he'll have a really bad night.
    Tyreke is probably my 2nd favorite player on our team. I was excited when we got him last year.

Dude's a bulldozer.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaLegs View Post
    It'd be really, really sad if you thought I was serious. And judging by your comment, time to be sad

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    It'd be really, really sad if you thought I was serious. And judging by your comment, time to be sad
    Everytime I see your username, I picture this guy saying it.

Thread Information