Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Quincy Miller released from Nuggets

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    If we had Quincy Miller, and his horrible career so far, and some other team had Darius Miller or Luke Babbit and cut those guys, this board would be clamoring for those guys.

Grass is always greener. Heck, I saw people hoping for Robert Covington. This will happen all season. But the fact is that we have below average SF's and all that will become available for free is either below avg SF's. The SF's we have at least know the system, and in most cases, have produced far more.

The grass is not always greener.
    I agree. I am not sure why there is so much Quincy Miller love. I have seen nothing from him to warrant it. The only way he makes this roster any better is if Williams thinks he brings more than Darius Miller as a deep bench player.

And if I read 'But he is young and has potential' (aka, the Rivers defense), I am going to puke. We need a short term fix for this year. Not some guy who has been terrible so far that might be good in 3 years. IF he is good in 3 years, sign him then.

Okay, I am done. I promise. Rant over, carry on.
    FIFY
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Rivers has actually done something in his young NBA career. Good on ball defense and the 4th highest catch and shoot 3-pt percentage in the entire league is nothing to sneeze at. Again, I ask - what has Q. Miller ever done? A couple of good Summer League games?

He got beat out by ALONZO GEE! Salmons got minutes on a playoff team just a few minutes ago. This guy got beat out by Gee.

We don't need a thread for every scrub SF who does available. It looks like Reke will get about 28 mins there, Babbitt 12, and Ryno 8 - so is there really a problem? And even if there is, can Quincy Miller solve it? No!
    @mcnamara247

Rivers has actually done something in his young NBA career. Good on ball defense and the 4th highest catch and shoot 3-pt percentage in the entire league is nothing to sneeze at. Again, I ask - what has Q. Miller ever done? A couple of good Summer League games?

He got beat out by ALONZO GEE! Salmons got minutes on a playoff team just a few minutes ago. This guy got beat out by Gee.

We don't need a thread for every scrub SF who does available. It looks like Reke will get about 28 mins there, Babbitt 12, and Ryno 8 - so is there really a problem? And even if there is, can Quincy Miller solve it? No!
    I have to say, i respect your commitment and passion for this team. You always keeps this place level minded lol.

Question, if Gordon balls out and we attempt to trade him at the deadline (SF will matter then because Reke is inserted to the SG spot) what guys should Dell target that we should be excited about getting? Since there are alot of SF scrubs thats looking like pyrite right now.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    I have to say, i respect your commitment and passion for this team. You always keeps this place level minded lol.

Question, if Gordon balls out and we attempt to trade him at the deadline (SF will matter then because Reke is inserted to the SG spot) what guys should Dell target that we should be excited about getting? Since there are alot of SF scrubs thats looking like pyrite right now.
    I would assume that a SF would have to come back in said trade. But even if Gordon plays great - I don't see him being traded. A rebuilding team wouldn't want him, because they would be afraid he would opt in. And a contender might want him, but wouldn't be willing to give back the quality player we need - assuming we are gunning for the playoffs.

I think he is gone one way or another next summer, but I don't see how we move him this year.

It might be a surprise to some, but there are dozens of players in the league worse than Salmons and Babbitt. Not every SF who gets cut is better. They got cut for a reason.

I was thinking just this. He is a young guy on a cheap contract. Who was he backing up in Denver where they thought he was expendable, Lebron and Larry Bird?

He got cut for a reason, and it looks like our players have built enough chemistry where subtracting a Miller or a Babbit now wouldn't be this net gain people think it will be.

All that said, how does that Baylor not go farther in NCAA tourneys? There is a 3 year stretch from 2010-2012 where they had 5 future NBA players (well 4 considering Pierre Jackson is not in the NBA).
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

That Baylor team was full of talent, but not many High IQ players. When the talent is close, intelligence wins IMO. See: Spurs

That Baylor team was full of talent, but not many High IQ players. When the talent is close, intelligence wins IMO. See: Spurs
    Yea, you are right. They weren't the most talented bunch either, but to net that many NBA players and not go any deeper, thats crazy. It does speak though to your Spurs analogy, and your Michigan States and your Dukes and even Butler. They didn't have all world talent like Kentucky and Kansas, yet they are smart and resourceful.

I have seen spurts of greatness from Miller. When Wilson Chandler went out Miller played a couple nice games.

EDIT: spurts of something (greatness is a big word)

I could have possibly made an argument for Jordan hamilton. This guy I can't make any such thing. Move along.

Miller is obviously a project, not someone you sign for his past achievements. He has always been considered a guy with a high ceiling for his size/length/skill, I would't complain if we sign him to a minmimum

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    If he ain't a knucklehead, at least work him out and do due dilligence. Anybody that has a Luke Babbit, Darius Miller, and John Salmons on the depth chart should be. This is Dell's wheelhouse, though. Whatever he does or doesn't do I will assume is for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I was thinking just this. He is a young guy on a cheap contract. Who was he backing up in Denver where they thought he was expendable, Lebron and Larry Bird?

He got cut for a reason, and it looks like our players have built enough chemistry where subtracting a Miller or a Babbit now wouldn't be this net gain people think it will be.

All that said, how does that Baylor not go farther in NCAA tourneys? There is a 3 year stretch from 2010-2012 where they had 5 future NBA players (well 4 considering Pierre Jackson is not in the NBA).

Two of the SFs at the top of everybody's want list around here, Gallo and Wilson Chandler. He ran out of time on a stacked roster, but as far as him being horrible goes, we could say the same thing about all of the young vets on the back half of our roster that somebody gave up on, or they replaced with the new shinny "this draft" version.

If the choice is between Whitey and Q Miller, i rather take a look at Miller and see what you can develop him into over a couple seasons. We already have a starting SF in Tyreke, and a token vet in Salmons, we're stacked in the front court, lets drop Whitey, because any minutes he could get should go to Patric Young.

And since Miller isn't going to get minutes, open up his roster spot too.
    Last edited by NemesisKING; 10-22-2014 at 02:31 PM.

I see the "couldn't hurt" argument all the time.

As in "couldn't hurt to pick this guy up and give him a look."

But if people followed that philosophy, we would have Robert Covington already. And now Miller, and tomorrow the next guy.

This isn't the NFL. You have mostly guaranteed contracts on your roster. You can't just pick up every guy and give him a look. It can't work that way. Do I wanna see Dell bring in some new blood and give him a look? Sure, if it is the right guy. But this isn't the right guy. The "couldn't hurt" argument does not hold up, though I am sure I will see it used 10 more times this year.

And we wouldn't have Babbit or Ajinca if every player that's been cut was written off completely

Quote Originally Posted by speedyG View Post
    And we wouldn't have Babbit or Ajinca if every player that's been cut was written off completely
    I completely agree. So, take a chance on the right guys. But it seems that the philosophy on here is: Any SF who comes available, lets give him a shot. It just can't work that way numbers wise

I completely agree. So, take a chance on the right guys. But it seems that the philosophy on here is: Any SF who comes available, lets give him a shot. It just can't work that way numbers wise
    It's also not a good way to do business with our players. Cutting someone who has been working hard with the team for over a year just to take a shot in the dark.
    We just like to get excited! It's like every time I get my paycheck I think of all the things I could buy before my bills come in.

So truth be known he hasn't been released by the Nuggets yet.

BTW Earl Clark is available.....should we start a new thread???

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    I don't expect much of an effort to solidify the small forward position until next year, but I am going to be watching a potential target on opening night this year..... and that would be Tobias Harris from the Magic.....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    I don't expect much of an effort to solidify the small forward position until next year, but I am going to be watching a potential target on opening night this year..... and that would be Tobias Harris from the Magic.....
    Unless it's a trade for a premier player I can't see them letting Harris go.
    Harkless on the other hand is more likely.

Last year, he shot 25% from 3. We're talking a solid sample size of 126 attempted shots from 3. He's a career 28% shooter from 3. I'd rather a SF that stretches the court.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 10-22-2014 at 06:49 PM.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    So truth be known he hasn't been released by the Nuggets yet.

Earl Clark is like 27 years old and never shown signs of being particularly good at anything. There is a difference, those type of guys dont really warrant any discussion.

If Dell can dump Gordon I imagine he will be looking for a SF, but if not I would agree. Not enough minutes to go around for Tyreke, Gordon etc and a starting caliber SF

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    You must have missed that one last year. Never was a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    You must have missed that one last year. Never was a fan.
    I was being sarcastic.....I know that thread.
    Not a fan either.

Thread Information