Pelicans Report

Thread: Where is Russ Smith?

Feezee23

Where is Russ Smith?

I am a Louisville native/fan following most former players in the league. I have seen Smith getting very few preseason minutes, including a DNP tonight.

Is he hurt? Underwhelming the coaches? Any local insight is appreciated!

He is stuck behind 5 other guards that have NBA experience

Feezee23
    Thanks. Seemed like an odd trade given their depth at Guard.

Is he in any trade rumors?

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    He's to be groomed more before he's ready. As he is he'll be more turnover prone than Austin Rivers. But he seems to be a quick study and has great quickness. So it shouldn't be too hard for him to figure things out.

He's going to spend many a night on the Coach's Decision-Inactive List this season though. Same goes for Withey and Patric Young.

Quote Originally Posted by Feezee23 View Post
    Thanks. Seemed like an odd trade given their depth at Guard.

Is he in any trade rumors?
    Nah. He is being groomed. Don't expect many minutes this year for him. I think our plan is to make him a Patrick Beverley type. He just needs time for the game to slow down and he have better control over the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Nah. He is being groomed. Don't expect many minutes this year for him. I think our plan is to make him a Patrick Beverley type. He just needs time for the game to slow down and he have better control over the ball.
    I agree. After EG is gone, i think we'll start seeing him.

He got Jimmered

Feezee23
    I guess I thought they would use him a little more in preseason for some learning by fire... Hope he pans out, great kid!

He will probably play quite a bit in the next game.

He needs to learn the game expect to see more of him in jan.

1-6

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    Agree with a lot here. I think Russ's rookie year will be like what Rivers's rookie year was supposed to be...a redshirt-ish year where he is bought along slowly to the NBA game. Depending on his development and other player movement he may have a bigger role next yr

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Russ Smith isn't ready for the NBA yet and right now we have no minutes for him to break into the rotation. As silly as it sounds this preseason has still kind of been about building chemistry, last season with the injuries I don't know if the main 6 ever fully got comfortable with each other. We should see some guys getting rest this next game so I'd expect to see Russ then. Unless there is a shake-up with the roster or someone gets injured, we shouldn't expect to see much of Russ this year.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Agree with the above statements. He needs more seasoning. He's still learning the NBA game and may not get many minutes this year.
    Next year we may lose Gordon/Rivers and that'll open up some playing time for him.

Rookies are almost always terrible at NBA level defense which requires a lot of scheme knowledge. On top of that he's behind a logjam of guards. If you're following the Pelicans to watch Russ play, you probably won't see him much before March if at all this year unless there's injury or a trade that frees up time for him.

Russ has the potential to be a all star PG, he needs time on the court especially if we plan on keeping him here long term.

Quote Originally Posted by stevemadden504 View Post
    Russ has the potential to be a all star PG, he needs time on the court especially if we plan on keeping him here long term.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Haitianfighter+rolled+image+this+will+be+invaluable+when+there+s+_02dd27be36a380560ee9c0d7f4dc38.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	6.2 KB 
ID:	5770

Man, Russ Smith fans say,

"Hey Jimmer fans, I see ya. And I raise you an All-Star birth."
    @mcnamara247

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Jesus dude, I'd throw a party if he just cracked the rotation and played good defense.

I'm not saying he's an all star but has potential to be one.

Then so does every player in the NBA.

Feezee23
    Thanks for all the insight!

Appreciate your shoes, but u cray!

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    hes not the slightest bit cray....did you watch him at louisville? he made great college players look bad man....... russ smith will one day put up rajon rondo in his prime type numbers, which could translate to all star appearances, thats it with russ, his ceiling is rondo, his basement is somewhere along the lines of rivers, solid defensively, looks to pass, but never comes along with his offense and never really grasps running an NBA level attack... jury's still out on rivers, but its not looking great, but i hope we turn rivers into something we can use, smith really might surpass him in skill level by season end, spelling the end of rivers in new orleans, and will be our backup pg next year, and maybe even late this year, i thought hed pick it up quicker and see the court faster, but i'm still sold on russ as an above average to high level defensive pg one day...

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    hes not the slightest bit cray....did you watch him at louisville? he made great college players look bad man....... russ smith will one day put up rajon rondo in his prime type numbers, which could translate to all star appearances, thats it with russ, his ceiling is rondo, his basement is somewhere along the lines of rivers, solid defensively, looks to pass, but never comes along with his offense and never really grasps running an NBA level attack... jury's still out on rivers, but its not looking great, but i hope we turn rivers into something we can use, smith really might surpass him in skill level by season end, spelling the end of rivers in new orleans, and will be our backup pg next year, and maybe even late this year, i thought hed pick it up quicker and see the court faster, but i'm still sold on russ as an above average to high level defensive pg one day...

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Man, Russ Smith fans say,

"Hey Jimmer fans, I see ya. And I raise you an All-Star birth."
    lol I'm just waiting for the Patrick Young fans to join the party.

Thread Information