Pelicans Report

Thread: My two cents from the Dallas game

My two cents from the Dallas game

How can we play 82 games with 6 players? We are going to have to make a trade or pick up another player soon or play Ajinca and activate Smith. Ajinca can play the center 10/15 mins in the big 3 package. Smith can play over those screens or under with his speed and quickness. Smith also can press the ball 94 feet to disrupt the opponent's sets and kill their pace to set all those picks and rubs.

This is not a total loss. I like the shorter rotations but i believe it is way to short. How good would Morrow be in the starting lineup replacing Gordon????

Positives
    + Rebounding
    + game Pace
    + Defending without fouling
    + Offense spacing
    + Playing passing lanes

Negatives
    - Lack of dept on bench
    - Missing open shots
    - Lack of dept on bench
    - bad switching picks
    - still hard hedging
    - No ajinca
    - Allowed the opponent's offense to set up without any disruption or physicality
    - Gordon's lack of production
    Last edited by mrsaints; 11-01-2014 at 09:44 PM.

gordon for rudy gay, make it happen

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    gordon for rudy gay, make it happen
    You really think that's possible?????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post

Considering Sac Town wouldn't trade Gay for Klay I think it's less than 0.

Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    Considering Sac Town wouldn't trade Gay for Klay I think it's less than 0.
    I'm at the point were I would trade Gordon for Kendrick Perkins just to get his money offs the books a year early.

My 10 cents
    +the ball movement in the 3rd was beautiful, the ball always find open players
    -Kobe ball in the 4th doomed us. 6 charge calls.
    +Rim Protection in first half of the 3rd was amazing
    -Dallas began scoring in a bunch when Anderson subbed in for Asik. Even when Asik played in the 4th, we could not protect the rim
    +Our three bigs scored 55 points, more than half our total score
    -0nly 2 of our 6 guards scored points
    -Maverics got contribution from 8 different players

i want monty to play these players
    -Patrick Young's will be important to battle Dwight Howard, Zac Randolph
    -We need Ajinca to guard Dirk, he can't do worse than Anderson
    - Babbit, Darius Miller because they are our SF
    - Russ Smith will be an upgrade over Rivers
    Please visit http://playbal.blogspot.com/ to read my articles

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post

lol no shot

Why does everyone use Kobe as a negative reference? Drives me up the wall we use a historically great player to poke holes through something.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

It comes down to making SHOTS on offense and making STOPS on defense. When Dallas made their run in the first half they were scoring easily and we couldn't throw it in the ocean. When we made our run Dallas couldn't throw it in the ocean, and we were making shots.

Gotta give Dallas credit though they're gonna be tough in the West. They have a bunch of guys that can make shots.

Agreed, last nights performance beats 2/3 of the west and 4/5 of east

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    My few cents
    -This was a close game
    -The bench sort of lost it for us or atleast certainty didn't help.
    -This Dallas squad is friggin' loaded.
    -I can see them winning a championship in a year or two.
    -And AD is a blessing from the basketball heavens lol

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Someone said that Tyson Chandler was too fast for Ahsek, but he wasn't. Thanks to League Pass' s play by play highlight I was able to watch Every Chandler's dunk. Ahsek was guilty of greater sin, which is ball watching. On the first two alley oops Chandler took off and slammed the ball when Ahsek looked the other way. On chandler's dunk, ahsek had to step forward to contain Monta Ellis, leaving Chandler wide open.
    To me, our loss to dallas was partially due to the fact the guys had not faced high quality opponents for weeks. For example Ahsek needed reminders that he couldn't ballwatch when guarding elite athletic center like Chandler.
    I agreed with someone in the forum that we can deefeat Maverics in the next rematch. Afterall we didnt play with our full strenth

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Why does everyone use Kobe as a negative reference? Drives me up the wall we use a historically great player to poke holes through something.
    Love this. I think the main underlying principle with "Kobe Hate" is that people don't like him as a person coupled with the advancements in sports coverage. If you don't want someone to succeed you'll find ways of calling their success a fluke. I think the other thing is that how he succeeds isn't the nice "teamwork" narrative and since we already have MJ he won't fit into the "greatest ever" narrative either. I personally don't like Kobe's game and I think it is adversely affecting his team in an era that commands him to play differently he seems unable to adjust. That's fine but he was a great player and what he is doing at his age should be appreciated. His era also being in one where we suddenly can consume every source of media on him and his fanatical supporters make him both more polarizing and creates contempt from those forced to consume it. Still, what he has done and is still doing should be valued for what it is, and unfortunately it seems it is one side or the other with most people.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

My main negative takeaway from the game (since this is after-all the Internet and must be used to complain) is that Dirk had his ankles broken by Boris Diaw a couple nights before TWICE in one game. He looked terrible on defense this game too. He also covered the fastest PF in the league. I was excited to see the matchup because I felt that we could score at will by putting Dirk in the pick and roll. For some reason we only did it twice by my count (although I missed a few parts of the game). And not once in the fourth. The two times we did we scored and Dirk looked terrible. Why did we deviate from that? Why did it looked like we didn't have a plan late in the fourth? AD got his shots that night. I guess that's progress since last year we were all perplexed at him never getting the ball. But This time in crunch-time he gets one shot? Our guards looked selfish in the fourth and ball movement stopped. Still we saw better ball movement these last two games as a whole than we did last year so cheers to progress.

Quote Originally Posted by odine View Post
    - Russ Smith will be an upgrade over Rivers
    Last night would have been a fun time to put Russ in. Nobody was expecting us to win, and this early in the season what's the harm to expirement while you are expirementing?

My reason for it is Smith in college was a facilitator, and a tenasive defender. Last night in the 4th are when nobody wanted to pass the ball it would have been fun to see what Russ would have done. Could he have come in and pulled a Rodrigue Beaubois, dishing the ball out and playing the type of defense to fluster some people? Who knows, but it would have been fun to see. Like I said, nobody was counting on us to win, and when you are exprimenting with combos for future use, why not really try EVERY combo, rather than what you see isn't working.

But we shall see in the next few weeks how things shake out. I am not counting a whole lot on watching Smith or Young log major minuets unless something goes horribly wrong like last year.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Well I don't know about the defense without fouling part because for the most part there was no defense played.

Next, how can we complain about the lack of depth on the bench when our core 6 are healthy? If Ryno, AD, Holiday, Gordon, Evans and Asik are healthy there ARE NOT that many more minutes to go around. We didn't even see Ajinca or Babbit play in the Mavs game so how can we complain about them? If you want to single out Salmons, Jimmer or Rivers then sure but we didn't even see our entire bench, and we won't as long as we are healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsaints View Post
    How can we play 82 games with 6 players? We are going to have to make a trade or pick up another player soon or play Ajinca and activate Smith. Ajinca can play the center 10/15 mins in the big 3 package. Smith can play over those screens or under with his speed and quickness. Smith also can press the ball 94 feet to disrupt the opponent's sets and kill their pace to set all those picks and rubs.

This is not a total loss. I like the shorter rotations but i believe it is way to short. How good would Morrow be in the starting lineup replacing Gordon????

Positives
    + Rebounding
    + game Pace
    + Defending without fouling
    + Offense spacing
    + Playing passing lanes

Negatives
    - Lack of dept on bench
    - Missing open shots
    - Lack of dept on bench
    - bad switching picks
    - still hard hedging
    - No ajinca
    - Allowed the opponent's offense to set up without any disruption or physicality
    - Gordon's lack of production
    This right here is what concerns me so far. I worry about injuries with our bench averaging so few minutes. I don't think AD can go 40 minutes every night and go through the season unscathed.

Dallas is one of the few teams in the league who can match us from a sheer talent perspective. Dirk, Tyson, and Brandan Wright are a great trio of bigs, and Ellis and Parsons are great on the wings as well. They are more experienced, and have the second best coach in the league. We gave up 66 points in the first half, and still only lost by 5. Yes, the offensive execution at the end of the 4th was poor, but I think the 3rd quarter run probably took a lot out of the guys.
    Last edited by greewe; 11-03-2014 at 08:06 AM.

Thread Information