Pelicans Report

Thread: New Orleans NEEDS the Pelicans more than ever.

New Orleans NEEDS the Pelicans more than ever.

Since 2002, the Pelicans have taken a backseat in the Louisiana Sports world to the Saints, LSU, and sometimes Tulane. Every now and then it will rise above one or two of those teams, but that has happened probably once or twice to my recollection. This year every team in this state has gotten the great knee to the groin of competitiveness. None of the three teams mentioned have shown an ounce of passion, and for the most part stunk it up.

The Pelicans over the last 3 years have built up a nice stock of talent in order to make a run in the NBA, but this year they can make a run in their own state in terms of laying stake to a win thirsty sports fan base. The opportunity is there as interest in those teams are diminishing as the season goes on, and this rise in Pelicans spirits is undeniable (for proof look at Austin Rivers and Jimmer Fredette getting so much talk, and they are only backups).

I am not saying that the Pelicans need to win a title to win over a region wide fan base, but if they can put together some hustle like what was put out in CP3's rookie year (where we barely missed the playoffs), or in 07-08 when we were hot as cole the Pels could lay stake to a new wave of sports fans in the area.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Sounds decent, the marketing department needs to make a more concerted effort to get people involved, (like televising games even if they're preseason). Selfishly though I kinda want the hype to remain low so when I visit NO someday i'll be able to score cheapish seats
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Impossible. The octopus that lives in my brain hasn't squibbered anything about it to me.

Also, that's how octopi talk. They squibber. Yes, it's a word. Shut up.

People will be so tired of seeing the saints lose in such stupid ways that they'll be willing to give just about any team a choice i think.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    I CANNOT wait for the Pelicans season to start. 1 week from tomorrow, O YEAH!!!!!

Yea I'm pretty thrilled. Great post.

I do think that it will be easier for the Pelicans to win over New Orleans this year. Everyone knows Anthony Davis will be a superstar this year, whereas last year it was sort of a surprise. The Saints suck, so people will have money and energy to spend on the Pelicans instead of waiting until January. We also have a shiny grey stadium and an awesome court to go along with a new practice facility.

Oh yea, and we could actually be good this season. People love good teams!
    "Every fight is a food fight when you're a cannibal."- Demetri Martin

@ThePraff

Quote Originally Posted by Tin_Food View Post
    Sounds decent, the marketing department needs to make a more concerted effort to get people involved, (like televising games even if they're preseason). Selfishly though I kinda want the hype to remain low so when I visit NO someday i'll be able to score cheapish seats
    Amen to the marketing department needing to make a more concerted effort. The Pelicans are playing the Mavs tomorrow night in Bossier City. As a long time Pelican's fan, I'm soooooo pumped! There's no way I (and other Pelican fans here) will miss that game. Yeah...it's pre-season, but it doesn't matter. It's the NBA in my backyard! I haven't seen any advertising except a poster stuck in the ground next to one of our local colleges. I constantly listen to a local sports talk station and there hasn't been any ads there either. Makes me think locals don't even know the game is coming up.
    Big ol' Pelicans fan up here in North La

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    I CANNOT wait for the Pelicans season to start. 1 week from tomorrow, O YEAH!!!!!
    Silverfoxx will be in the house! Better yet, THE BLENDER.

But I full hearted agreee with OP. I spoken with many people from New Orleans and when asked why they dont like the Pels, most of it stems from being an unsuccessful team. I guess the whole idea of being one of the few students at UL that repped the Pelicans hard mad me become a even bigger fan. The whole idea of being a underdog, or under appreciated always struck a nerve with me, thats why my appreciation for young Rivers and the rise of AD to superstardom is a perfect investment for me.

Funny story, i currently live in Atlanta. I went to the mall to pick up a Pels hat, all the guys at Lids gave me a funny look and told me they dont carry "Pelicans gear" but they had gear for every other 29 teams. The overall rep and flack that I get for honoring this team makes my love for them even stronger, because I truly know that I and many of you guys were here before everyone else will be.

Great times are coming our way, and the battle scars of being made out of an mockery and looked down upon will be worth it, as society will soon eat their delecious Crow.

Tuesday can come here sooner
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by Stingman View Post
    Amen to the marketing department needing to make a more concerted effort. The Pelicans are playing the Mavs tomorrow night in Bossier City. As a long time Pelican's fan, I'm soooooo pumped! There's no way I (and other Pelican fans here) will miss that game. Yeah...it's pre-season, but it doesn't matter. It's the NBA in my backyard! I haven't seen any advertising except a poster stuck in the ground next to one of our local colleges. I constantly listen to a local sports talk station and there hasn't been any ads there either. Makes me think locals don't even know the game is coming up.
    This is unacceptable, I would love to voice my concern with the management. With so much social media and technology, its very easy to market, especially a NBA FRANCHISE.

I did see a nice ad in the local newspaper about tomorrow night's game. Also, there were some stories of the Pelican's holding camps and visiting schools. Another article was about the cheerleaders making local appearances. So, that's all good! Still, I would love to see more of an effort to get the word out. The newspaper ads are encouraging though.

The Saints have a huge fan base up here. If you go into local sporting goods stores, the isles are dominated by Black and Gold (and Purple and Gold). I'm guessing the Cowboy's gear will make a resurgence this season (ugh). Anyway, I hope the Pelican's appearance around town, plus the game tomorrow night is a step toward more visibility up here.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Silverfoxx will be in the house! Better yet, THE BLENDER.

But I full hearted agreee with OP. I spoken with many people from New Orleans and when asked why they dont like the Pels, most of it stems from being an unsuccessful team. I guess the whole idea of being one of the few students at UL that repped the Pelicans hard mad me become a even bigger fan. The whole idea of being a underdog, or under appreciated always struck a nerve with me, thats why my appreciation for young Rivers and the rise of AD to superstardom is a perfect investment for me.

Funny story, i currently live in Atlanta. I went to the mall to pick up a Pels hat, all the guys at Lids gave me a funny look and told me they dont carry "Pelicans gear" but they had gear for every other 29 teams. The overall rep and flack that I get for honoring this team makes my love for them even stronger, because I truly know that I and many of you guys were here before everyone else will be.

Great times are coming our way, and the battle scars of being made out of an mockery and looked down upon will be worth it, as society will soon eat their delecious Crow.

Tuesday can come here sooner
    Agreed, I think the fact that they changed the name to Pels, made them seemingly a joke to people, which in turn makes them more endearing to me

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    I went to the mall to pick up a Pels hat, all the guys at Lids gave me a funny look and told me they dont carry "Pelicans gear"

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Since 2002, the Pelicans have taken a backseat in the Louisiana Sports world to the Saints, LSU, and sometimes Tulane. Every now and then it will rise above one or two of those teams, but that has happened probably once or twice to my recollection. This year every team in this state has gotten the great knee to the groin of competitiveness. None of the three teams mentioned have shown an ounce of passion, and for the most part stunk it up.

The Pelicans over the last 3 years have built up a nice stock of talent in order to make a run in the NBA, but this year they can make a run in their own state in terms of laying stake to a win thirsty sports fan base. The opportunity is there as interest in those teams are diminishing as the season goes on, and this rise in Pelicans spirits is undeniable (for proof look at Austin Rivers and Jimmer Fredette getting so much talk, and they are only backups).

I am not saying that the Pelicans need to win a title to win over a region wide fan base, but if they can put together some hustle like what was put out in CP3's rookie year (where we barely missed the playoffs), or in 07-08 when we were hot as cole the Pels could lay stake to a new wave of sports fans in the area.
    I agree with the above post with one exception. From a statewide perspective, Tulane is not even on the radar. Their following is in the New Orleans area only. La Tech and Louisiana's Ragin Cajuns have had more success in the last three years than Tulane has. The Cajuns especially have accomplished more and increased their following. Last year, CBS Sports gave them the highest overall athletic ranking of all the mid-majors in the country. This is due to 9 football victories including a bowl win, an NCAA tournament basketball appearance where they played a very competitive game against a high seed, an NBA 1st round draft pick, a softball World Series appearance, and baseball hosting a super regional. They also put 45000 in the stands for the NO Bowl in Tulane's own stadium. This is coming from someone who lived in New Orleans for over 20 years but is now back in Acadiana. I am quite familiar with the sports situation in the entire state, including New Orleans. It is quite common for New Orleans folks to equate New Orleans interest with state interest and that is not an overall correct view. If you don't believe me, go tailgating before a Cajun football home game. It is the best atmosphere of all the mid majors in the nation with the possible exception of East Carolina. It is correct to point out that the Saints and LSU garner the most interest, but after that everything is open.

Moving on, with basketball being my favorite sport, I hope to make a few Pelican games this year despite living over 2 hours away now. UNO Gracias is correct in that with the teams of interest in the New Orleans area struggling, perhaps the Pelicans can pick up some new fans. I am all in favor of that happening.
    Last edited by cajunsmike; 10-24-2014 at 06:19 PM.

Winning will do wonders for the Pelicans and basketball in New Orleans! Having seen thousands of Pelican's fans up here in Shreveport/Bossier City, I can't help but think a good season will impact the whole State in favor of the Pelicans! Win, win, WIN! Amazing things will happen!

Thread Information