Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Is Anthony Davis on the Verge of Becoming a Full-Fledged Superstar?

Is Anthony Davis on the Verge of Becoming a Full-Fledged Superstar?

I wanted to take a look at this question seriously. First, I tried to define what a superstar is, then I looked at how Davis could become one, and finally, what that would mean for the Pelicans.

Warning: 3200 words. Might take a while to read, but as always, I try to make it worthwhile. Anyway, curious to hear the thoughts of others, especially on my criterion and if people agree with my current superstars list.

http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/20...ged-superstar/
    @mcnamara247

I think he already is and will the 3rd best player in the league this year behind only lebron and durant, call me a homer.

If Carmelo Anthony can be labeled a superstar Anthony Davis should def be in the conversation
    I'm a grinder

Banned
    He's #2 in fantasy drafts behind Lebron James. That basically means he's statistically the 2nd best player in the league.

So...... respond and then maybe read the article later? Is that what we're doing here?

I missed you guys!!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    So...... respond and then maybe read the article later? Is that what we're doing here?

I missed you guys!!
    Kmsl I read it mac and it was a good article BTW. I was just stating in reference to you saying if we have to put Carmelo in superstar status then surely ad is there

I missed you guys!!
    I've been hyping AD to my friends I talk hoops with as a top 3 player, most people call the homer/delusional card. Will be happy to use your report to back my viewpoint.

3200 words huh, you reckon you could do something similar on Organisational Development?
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Impossible. The octopus that lives in my brain hasn't squibbered anything about it to me.

Also, that's how octopi talk. They squibber. Yes, it's a word. Shut up.

Quote Originally Posted by tthier2 View Post
    Kmsl I read it mac and it was a good article BTW. I was just stating in reference to you saying if we have to put Carmelo in superstar status then surely ad is there
    I know, I was just playing. But as you see, according to my criterion, Melo falls short of superstar status. At least last year (and probably the last few years).

Gonna be interesting to see if AD can make this next leap this year. He will make it eventually, thats for sure. But can he make it this year? I think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin_Food View Post
    I've been hyping AD to my friends I talk hoops with as a top 3 player, most people call the homer/delusional card. Will be happy to use your report to back my viewpoint.

3200 words huh, you reckon you could do something similar on Organisational Development?
    Well, he isn't there yet - only has the potential to get there this year. But if your friends think that he will never get there, then THEY are the delusional ones.

Well, he isn't there yet - only has the potential to get there this year. But if your friends think that he will never get there, then THEY are the delusional ones.
    I think most would bet on him getting there eventually, but yeah I'm stretching it a bit declaring AD top 3 this year. He seems to have a decent chance at it, and I'll take those odds because I haven't been able to do this since CP3 (and you would always have to deal with the DWill advocates/Jazz fans)

Hey Michael. I am intrigued by your statement here
    "The point is that if you have a superstar, and more specifically, a big man superstar who can dominate on both ends, then the playoffs are almost a given if he stays healthy."
    Many analysts said that the big men era has passed and now NBA is guard dominated league. what do you think about it?
    Please visit http://playbal.blogspot.com/ to read my articles

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    I think he already is and will the 3rd best player in the league this year behind only lebron and durant, call me a homer.
    For him to be considered the 3rd best player this team need to be a playoff team easily. He has a good supporting cast for it to happe.

1-6

Quote Originally Posted by odine View Post
    "The point is that if you have a superstar, and more specifically, a big man superstar who can dominate on both ends, then the playoffs are almost a given if he stays healthy."
    Many analysts said that the big men era has passed and now NBA is guard dominated league. what do you think about it?
    It's more a skill-set thing. The low-post game for bigs has been underdeveloped because AAU is where a lot of American players develop their basic skills and they deemphasize back-to-the-basket skills for bigs. This also has the side-effect that fewer players are skilled at making entry passes.

The era of the big man being over is a myth. Defenses have gotten more sophisticated and the easiest way to break them is to draw defenders out of the paint. However, low-post guys can still be dominant if they can draw double-teams and able to pass out of them effectively.

Well written piece MM(which should come as no surprise you guys do great work).

But I'll play the bad guy and say this confirms why I don't think Davis will be a superstar. The only thing he had going were stats. Those stats he put up on a bad team due to so many ill timed injuries. I really don't see how he's a 20-10 guy with a healthy Holiday, Evans, Anderson, Gordon, and Asik. And this is if guys like Young, Rivers, Fredette, and Withey don't exceed expectations.

Again Davis is a really good player much better than I gave him credit for leaving UK, but he still has so many flaws you rarely see players overcome for me to think he'll ever be the "needle mover" that a qualifies him as a superstar.

I really don't see how he's a 20-10 guy with a healthy Holiday, Evans, Anderson, Gordon, and Asik. And this is if guys like Young, Rivers, Fredette, and Withey don't exceed expectations.
    He may not be a 20-10 guy in a slow paced, grind it out, Monty Ball team. But if this team plays with a faster pace he can be, just look at the last 2 preseason games. Yeah it was preseason and against scrubs, but the basic points are 1) AD still lead the way with the supporting cast being fairly productive, and 2) there has been a lot of talk from the players about playing faster and having more freedom on offense.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    I really want to respond, but I know I shouldn't.......smh

Quote Originally Posted by odine View Post
    I think they say it is a guard driven league because there are so many of them, not because they are more valuable. That makes having a special two-way big more important than ever. But again, there are so few. But when has a healthy Dwight Howard led team not been in the playoffs and/or close to contender status? And AD should be better than Dwight because of his more diverse skill set on the offensive end.

We haven't seen many dominant two way bigs since the mid-90's, but whenever you do see one, his team is a contender unless the rest of the roster is just absolutely brutal

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Well written piece MM(which should come as no surprise you guys do great work).

But I'll play the bad guy and say this confirms why I don't think Davis will be a superstar. The only thing he had going were stats. Those stats he put up on a bad team due to so many ill timed injuries. I really don't see how he's a 20-10 guy with a healthy Holiday, Evans, Anderson, Gordon, and Asik. And this is if guys like Young, Rivers, Fredette, and Withey don't exceed expectations.

Again Davis is a really good player much better than I gave him credit for leaving UK, but he still has so many flaws you rarely see players overcome for me to think he'll ever be the "needle mover" that a qualifies him as a superstar.
    While I agree with you that Davis is not a superstar yet and that he is probably a little overrated (understandably so) on this board, I am much more optimistic about his future than you seem to be. What would he have to do this season for you to see him as a true superstar?

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    While I agree with you that Davis is not a superstar yet and that he is probably a little overrated (understandably so) on this board, I am much more optimistic about his future than you seem to be. What would he have to do this season for you to see him as a true superstar?
    Why did you have to go and respond? We all were ignoring so nicely!

Here we go. Now this will turn into another Everyone vs. Da Throne thread. Ugh.

Yea..... my bad. But he said that he didn't think Davis would get to 20-10 this year so I was hoping he could give some concrete benchmarks like you did in the article.

or an anthony davis was drummond thread.

haha jk, i actually love da throne's posts, but this time i'll disagree with him. Now I understand his thought of logic, it is easy for players to put up stats on bad teams, tyreke's rookie year, MCW last year, but davis not only improved statistically but also improved his efficiency, you usually improve 1 or the other, not both, plus being super young if he can make another leap like he did last year then there is no question he can be a superstar

Also Da throne, I have a question for you and I hope you don't take this as me being smug, I'm honestly curious, are the Pelicans ur favorite team in the NBA?

I like Da Throne too, but I am more curious to hear peoples thoughts on the criterion I set up and what that criterion said about who the current superstars are, and what the Pelicans floor would be if AD was a superstar by these criteria than to have people get mad at Da Throne for 10+ pages again

In b4 mythrol's rant incoming

Wish i could have read your piece but today i worked something like 11 hours and i'm positively dead. I'll read it tomorrow before starting to put some work in, it's something that has been on my mind for awhile. Keep up the good work

Great article. Is he there? No, but I think he is climbing the ladder to Superstar. To me the key is health.

Thread Information