Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Is Anthony Davis on the Verge of Becoming a Full-Fledged Superstar?

It's hard for me to consider Steph Curry a superstar when every at USA and FIBA camps considered Davis the clear best player on that team. Not saying Davis is a superstar yet, but shouldn't a superstar be far and away the best player on a team filled with non superstars.

Also, I think Love has benefitted a lot more from that criteria than the others because he has been on such a bad team that basically resolves around him. His defense is well below average, and apparently his leadership skills aren't anything to write home about either. The one thing that I think keeps him on the verge is his passing ability, but I don't believe he's a more completer basketball player than a guy like Marc Gasol, who has never been in superstar conversations.

IMO, the only 3 superstars currently are Lebron, Durant, and Paul. They all possess the on court skills, leadership skills, and intangibles that clearly separate them from the other stars of the NBA.

Davis is not far behind. With the advancements in his game that we have already seen in FIBA and preseason, and a winning season; I don't have much doubt that he will be considered a superstar by most after the season

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    Throne,

This is an excellent post, and one that I agree with a lot of the points you made. But there's one thing that is still undefined and something I just can't get over that was in your previous comment.

"Davis is a really good player much better than I gave him credit for leaving UK, but he still has so many flaws you rarely see players overcome for me to think he'll ever be the "needle mover" that a qualifies him as a superstar."

Davis still has so many flaws that you don't think he can overcome? And those flaws are what stops you from saying he can eventually be a superstar? WHAT?
    I feel like I've gone through this in great detail before. I've pointed out very specific things about his game I don't think is easily correctable. If I get a chance I'll try to dig it up and repost. Ofcourse you can always go back and look for if you don't want to want for me to do it. The thread it took place in wasn't pretty and people mostly ignored my points and instead made things personal so I'm not sure I want to rehash that here. So maybe I'll just link the thread instead.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    I feel like I've gone through this in great detail before. I've pointed out very specific things about his game I don't think is easily correctable. If I get a chance I'll try to dig it up and repost. Ofcourse you can always go back and look for if you don't want to want for me to do it. The thread it took place in wasn't pretty and people mostly ignored my points and instead made things personal so I'm not sure I want to rehash that here. So maybe I'll just link the thread instead.
    I'm assuming this was a while ago right? Couldn't care about that thread then. As you just said Davis is a "much better than I gave him credit for leaving UK". Would like to see what you think of now after 2 full seasons of him in the NBA what his many flaws are and why those are 1). not correctable and 2). why they will stop him from being a superstar.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    Most of Davis' weaknesses are actually on the defensive side of the ball and are almost entirely mental. His offense is great, but he constantly makes poor decisions or hesitates on rotations, takes bad angles, plays ball-handlers on the perimeter too close, establishing position for defensive rebounds, and not realizing when he can defend equally well by keeping his feet on the ground and his arms up.
    So those are flaws that AD can't overcome?

So those are flaws that AD can't overcome?
    A lot of players get marginally better at those things, but not to the level that everyone expects Davis to be at.

A lot of players get marginally better at those things, but not to the level that everyone expects Davis to be at.
    I think most of the flaws you mentioned besides rounding position are pretty minimal and something that if you looked at other superstars you would see similar traits or 'flaws'. Superstar != no weaknesses

I think most of the flaws you mentioned besides rounding position are pretty minimal and something that if you looked at other superstars you would see similar traits or 'flaws'. Superstar != no weaknesses
    But for someone who everyone expects to be a top defensive player in the league, AD is just average for a big on that side of the ball. He's great when he is in the right position, but often doesn't make the right choices to get in that position quick enough.

E: Those indecisions can paralyze a defense.
    Last edited by Kibner; 10-21-2014 at 01:55 PM.

But for someone who everyone expects to be a top defensive player in the league, AD is just average for a big on that side of the ball. He's great when he is in the right position, but often doesn't make the right choices to get in that position quick enough.
    You are getting into a completely different discussion now. Do you need to be a top defensive player in the league to be a superstar? That's a rhetorical question just look at Durant. The original point I commented on was throne saying because of AD's many uncorrectable flaws that he will never be a superstar.

I could care less if people want to argue if AD is a top 5 defensive player or if he's just a top 20 or whatever defensive player. But what I'm talking about is for the people that think AD can't ever become a superstar, tell the rest of us why.

To me, there is plenty of evidence to say AD is not currently a superstar. Some evidence to say it will take another two years.

I couldn't even fathom an argument against him becoming one eventually (aside from injuries a la Greg Oden).

I think it is a waste of time debating 'if'. Only debate is 'when.'
    @mcnamara247

You are getting into a completely different discussion now. Do you need to be a top defensive player in the league to be a superstar? That's a rhetorical question just look at Durant. The original point I commented on was throne saying because of AD's many uncorrectable flaws that he will never be a superstar.

I could care less if people want to argue if AD is a top 5 defensive player or if he's just a top 20 or whatever defensive player. But what I'm talking about is for the people that think AD can't ever become a superstar, tell the rest of us why.
    I was just listing the flaws that were my reasonable guesses as to what DT may think. If Davis doesn't take another jump on offense, he really does need to become a top 5 defender to be a superstar.

Durant is also the best offensive player in the league and doesn't need someone else to initiate the offense. Davis isn't close on offense and they are relatively even as defenders. As of right now, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    To me, there is plenty of evidence to say AD is not currently a superstar. Some evidence to say it will take another two years.

I couldn't even fathom an argument against him becoming one eventually (aside from injuries a la Greg Oden).

This is exactly where my personal opinion is.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post

I think this is how most feel. So that's why for the people that want at argue 'if' I'd like to know why the heck they think that.

This is exactly where my personal opinion is.
    But you responded to me when I was trying to find out why someone was debating 'if' lol

But you responded to me when I was trying to find out why someone was debating 'if' lol
    Yes, I was playing devil's advocate on behalf of DT.

I sometimes find it enlightening to argue from a viewpoint I don't hold. It helps me to develop and understand my belief better.

However, I explicitly try to use the words "I", "me", "my", etc. when expressing my personal opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Exactly DT. I don't understand why these scrubs can't see Davis will never be able to shoot FTs like Drummond. It's what clearly makes Drummond so much better.

Oh god please don't don't don't

I'm assuming this was a while ago right? Couldn't care about that thread then. As you just said Davis is a "much better than I gave him credit for leaving UK". Would like to see what you think of now after 2 full seasons of him in the NBA what his many flaws are and why those are 1). not correctable and 2). why they will stop him from being a superstar.
    Just look up my post where I found all the crap he said about davis on here and other forums. The guy has an axe to grind because he put himself out there declaring things like Davis's offensive ceiling is dwight howard, a less skilled Anthony Randolph and declaring under no circumstance he will be a top ten player(in fact not even top seven in his draft class) among other nonsense. The guy was wrong and just continues to latch on to the possibility that if he keeps playing the angle long enough that davis will fail to advance beyond his current state and he'll eventually get his "I told you so moment."

http://www.pelicansreport.com/showth...=1#post1243779

Just look up my post where I found all the crap he said about davis on here and other forums. The guy has an axe to grind because he put himself out there declaring things like Davis's offensive ceiling is dwight howard, a less skilled Anthony Randolph and declaring under no circumstance he will be a top ten player(in fact not even top seven in his draft class) among other nonsense. like most people even in the face of absolute defeat they will refuse to completely admit they were wrong and re-evaluate themselves.

http://www.pelicansreport.com/showth...=1#post1243779
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 10-22-2014 at 01:06 AM.

Man....don't you guy's ever get tired of this ****?

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Man....don't you guy's ever get tired of this ****?
    I'm just trying to help save someone the trouble. Da Throne is clearly caught up in his confirmation bias stemming from his initial Davis assessments from years ago and it's not worth letting threads get derailed.

MM produced an extremely good article and I have really enjoyed reading the contributions people have made. However once I saw people start responding to Da Throne I felt it would be better to nip it in the bud instead of sitting silent and letting another thread get ruined as people start engaging him.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    I'm just trying to help save someone the trouble. Da Throne is clearly caught up in his confirmation bias stemming from his initial Davis assessments from years ago and it's not worth letting threads get derailed.

MM produced an extremely good article and I have really enjoyed reading the contributions people have made. However once I saw people start responding to Da Throne I felt it would be better to nip it in the bud instead of sitting silent and letting another thread get ruined as people start engaging him.
    This wasn't purely directed at you but to the many here who argue the same point with a guy who loves to argue.
    People just seem to like fuelling the fire and derailing the threads.

I guess like I just did

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference'

Just seemed appropriate
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Impossible. The octopus that lives in my brain hasn't squibbered anything about it to me.

Also, that's how octopi talk. They squibber. Yes, it's a word. Shut up.

There is one blatant omission in my opinion from the criteria (or maybe I missed it. I'm on my phone). Winning. In order to be a superstar, you have to affect wins/losses. As of today, AD doesn't do that. There's no doubt that in the future he will affect wins/losses but the truth is, whether he played or not, the Pels were a below .500 team. This obviously doesn't take into account future years. Only the past 2 seasons. Current superstars and superstars of old affected wins/losses. LBJ is the best example of this. Also, what stops me from thrusting AD into the superstar category is that he has no go to offensive game. His points come from fast breaks, rebounds, and assists. Most superstars can be given the ball in crunch time and be told to get a bucket or set up your teammate to get a good look. On this team, AD wouldn't be that guy. Chances are Reke would have the ball. Once Davis grows into the aforementioned roles, he'll definitely be a superstar in my book.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Thread Information