Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Bulls GM on Asik deal

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar

Bulls GM on Asik deal

We have one of the best GMs in the league.

Thanks for a breath of positive fresh air around here!

If we are basing it solely on fit then yes it's great. When you start to factor in Asik's on his last year and the first round pick that's when I think things get a lot more dicey. This was another big gamble by Demps, but given the make up of the team this IMO was one of his better gambles.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    If Asik re-signs then this was obviously a good trade and everyone in the league would agree. The chance that he can walk in the offseason is the reason anyone questions it. We gotta retain him.
    @DanielVeuleman

Would dell be so dumb as to not get at least some sort of assurance that asik'd keep playing for us? I mean, a 1 year rental for a 1st round pick doesn't sound so great eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    Would dell be so dumb as to not get at least some sort of assurance that asik'd keep playing for us? I mean, a 1 year rental for a 1st round pick doesn't sound so great eh?
    Yeah here's the insurance from Asik: "Make the playoffs, then we'll talk".

TBH, even if it was a 1 year rental I think would be happy. This is based on us being in the playoffs this year and that 1st round pick being in the high or low 20's. What long term options are you going to find that late in the draft anyway? Even Asik himself took time to develop into the guy the Bulls let go and the Rockets signed, so should we have found a big time player that late we wouldn't be able to afford him right as he was becoming valuable anyway.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

If i am not mistaken we have his "Bird Rights".

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatPelican View Post
    If i am not mistaken we have his "Bird Rights".
    Not sure how much that will matter especially with the cap set to take some kind of boost. I think it will come down to fit and team success with Asik. We should have the fit on our side for sure.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    We're starting him.

........and that's what he wants.
    Everyone wants to feel needed.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    As far as what we need to what we've just got? The fit don't get much better.

Trading for Asik is a gamble but first round picks are not. Someone tell Greg Oden, Darko Milicic, Jonny Flynn, Adam Morrison, Sam Bowie, Hasheem Thabeet, Michael Olowokandi, Derrick Williams, Ike Diogu, Tyrus Thomas, Yi Jianlian ...
    Associate Editor for The Bird Writes, the SBNation New Orleans Pelicans site.

if we are winning he will want to stay, PLUS he gets to play next to freaking AD.

If he was a vet chasing a ring I would be worried that he won’t sign here, but the fact remains we own his bird rights so we can pay more than any other team to retain him if we choose. I doubt very much he goes to another team with similar potential as the Pels for less.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Not sure how much that will matter especially with the cap set to take some kind of boost. I think it will come down to fit and team success with Asik. We should have the fit on our side for sure.
    I think Asik has seen the fault of false promises versus reality. If he gets to start with us and play minutes, I'm fairly certain he takes the sure thing and doesn't get hyped with delusions of grandeur like the last time he hit FA.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Although I love the singing I was not impressed by his effort tonight.
    Season ticket holder since 2002
    Mostly just trying to satisfy my OCD tendencies by getting to 3,000 posts

I have enjoyed watching Asik so far. One thing I've particularly liked watching is he, Alexis, and Patric battling for rebounds during warm ups while the others shoot jump shots. I hope to see this continue.

Quote Originally Posted by DRDJ1 View Post
    Offensively or defensively?

Quote Originally Posted by DRDJ1 View Post
    What was he singing?

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    What was he singing?
    Searching!!!.... ASIK AND DESTROY!!!

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    With the additions of Asik (!), Jimer (!!), Salmons, Patrick Young, and Russ, I really think our team is the one on the rise.

Every player is a rental, just depends on the lenght of the lease. If he wants to stay, he will and I think he will fit perfectly next to AD. If he doesn't want to stay, then having him on a long contract would not improve the situation.

I agree with the cooler heads among us that first round picks after #3 or so have minimal value. If somebody gave you a $2 Lottery Scratch-Off for free and you could find a buyer to give you $1 for it, you would probably sell it. If you desparately needed the dollar to buy food or gas, you would definitely sell unless you were a hopeless optimist (some would say fool). The draft pick cost us nothing, and we really needed someone like Asik. What is so hard to understand?

i love the deal, we are gonna have our own twin towers and have 2 players that grab 10 rebounds a game, finally a team that can rebound will be nice...

Quote Originally Posted by NOEngineer View Post
    I agree with the cooler heads among us that first round picks after #3 or so have minimal value. If somebody gave you a $2 Lottery Scratch-Off for free and you could find a buyer to give you $1 for it, you would probably sell it. If you desparately needed the dollar to buy food or gas, you would definitely sell unless you were a hopeless optimist (some would say fool). The draft pick cost us nothing, and we really needed someone like Asik. What is so hard to understand?
    Love this analogy.

Thread Information