Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: GAME DAY THREAD! OKC vs the Pels final preseason home game.

Looked like OKC were going to score close to 100 at one stage so good top see us hold them in the second half which was actually less than they scored in the 1st half.

Lots of positives tonight. AD should be 1st team all star aswell this season.

Totally unrelated I know…..but I was wondering why both Anderson and Asik cannot have their contracts extended this year?
    Is it purely because it would be stupid to do so because of the new TV deal or is there another reason?

Please and thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Totally unrelated I know…..but I was wondering why both Anderson and Asik cannot have their contracts extended this year?
    Is it purely because it would be stupid to do so because of the new TV deal or is there another reason?

Please and thank you.
    No, the CBA basically makes extensions impossible. You can't extend for 4 or 5 years, so it behooves guys to wait until free agency to sign a new, longer contract. Look around the league, you won't see any extensions unless it is a guy coming off a rookie deal. The CBA has different rules for them.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    He scored 11 points on 10 FGA's. Also had 5 assists and zero turnovers. So, basically, he contributed 22 points on 16 field goal attempts (one of his assists was a Jimmer 3).

Pulled down 5 defensive rebounds after Monty called out our guards for not rebounding.

I would say there was also a lot of good tonight.
    I did say earlier he has improved game to game and I like everything else outside of his offensive efficiency, but that doesn't change the fact he is now 12-35 from the field for the preseason at 34%. Tonight though Rivers did break the 70% threshold for FT% for the preseason which is a nice thing to see. Free Throws should translate. I'd also like to see him get some more 3PA. He has only taken 6 and hit 2, but his numbers he is a pretty good spot up shooter. Though it may be difficult since Jimmer clearly isn't cut out to be a ball handler IMO. So the amount of spot up attempts for Rivers may remain low.

Don't get me wrong, overall I like what I am seeing from Rivers, I would just prefer, based off of what I have seen in the past and this preseason, that he continue to try and become more of a facilitator instead of looking to be a scorer. He has clearly progressed at the former, I just wish he would not force the latter so much.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 10-16-2014 at 10:07 PM.

No, the CBA basically makes extensions impossible. You can't extend for 4 or 5 years, so it behooves guys to wait until free agency to sign a new, longer contract. Look around the league, you won't see any extensions unless it is a guy coming off a rookie deal. The CBA has different rules for them.
    Thanks Mike

From an uneducated basketball fan who's been watching basketball in this city since the Hornets arrived my biggest impression of the night, just after the first quarter, was that I've never seen spacing like this from a professional New Orleans basketball team. This is gonna be a fun year.

He is a reserve guard, and he probably always will be. He has flaws. At this point, I am going to personally stop hoping for what I want him to be and appreciate him for what he is as long as he is here. I think he fits in with the culture. I think he is a great teammate and a coachable player. I think he is constantly improving defensively. And I think he takes care of the ball on offense.

If he adds more pluses to that, I will be happy. If not - Oh well, he is an 8th or 9th man. Thats how I feel about Rivers right now.

He is a reserve guard, and he probably always will be. He has flaws. At this point, I am going to personally stop hoping for what I want him to be and appreciate him for what he is as long as he is here. I think he fits in with the culture. I think he is a great teammate and a coachable player. I think he is constantly improving defensively. And I think he takes care of the ball on offense.

If he adds more pluses to that, I will be happy. If not - Oh well, he is an 8th or 9th man. Thats how I feel about Rivers right now.
    My personal ceiling for Rivers would to be a more aggressive, athletic Dellavadova (backup point guard). Run the point with great consistency, drive, find the open man and play great defence.

And finish dem layups!

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    That perfectly sums up the way I feel about Rivers, MM.

I agree 100% on this.

can anyone please post a highlight or gif of the rivers dunk? much appreciated.

Hate to disagree with the popular sentiment that Austin Rivers should play point or 1 instead of Jimmer off the bench but after attending both pre-season games at the SMC I think that Jimmer is more suited to the 1 or point than Austin because he is quicker to dish the ball than Austin and actually shoots better off the dribble than spot up. Conversely, Austin is better shooting spot up than off the dribble and takes toooo long to dish the ball (Anyone remember Brian Roberts?). Also Austin is much better defending the shooting or 2 guard than Jimmer. It's still early and the teams we played have sat their best players but Jimmer did not look out of place playing 2nd unit 1's. Positive about Austin is that it appears he is making FT's at a higher percentage (at least at SMC). He still can get to basket but unfortunately is still not able to finish at basket. I actually think that Jimmer is better at finding the open man and assist even though Austin had one more assist. Austin did have 2 TO's compared to 0 for Jimmer. As an aside the Pelicans turnovers were down to 11 tonight.
    Season ticket holder since 2002
    Mostly just trying to satisfy my OCD tendencies by getting to 3,000 posts

A couple of more brief observations:
    Jrue shot is pure. He is playing back into shape.
    Ryno shot is back and he is playing recklessly and is a much better rebounder than given credit.
    Omer sets great picks but sometimes takes time off on D which might explain why he doesn't foul.
    Babbitt might be our best option at SF when Tyreke is not in the game. Granted he is slow on D but he tries and opposition players can't resist biting on his pump fakes.
    Russ is not ready for prime time and will be DNP coaches decision on 60+ games.
    Although I love Patric Young and his hustle he is also not ready for prime time. He actually got some D rebounds tonight.
    Miller will be buried on the roster and sit on the bench. He refuses to take open shots.
    AD can do anything he wants on the court. I just hope he doesn't want to trade his inside game for mid-range shots. He will get less rebounds per game than last year. He is playing far away from the basket. He can take 2 or 3 steps to basket instead of one or none.
    Tyreke is an unstoppable beast and will play as a point forward a lot
    Eric Gordon can't contribute if he doesn't play
    Monty is trying to chill but is still intense. His substitution pattern will remain the same. It is in his genes.
    Last edited by DRDJ1; 10-16-2014 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DRDJ1 View Post
    Hate to disagree with the popular sentiment that Austin Rivers should play point or 1 instead of Jimmer off the bench but after attending both pre-season games at the SMC I think that Jimmer is more suited to the 1 or point than Austin because he is quicker to dish the ball than Austin and actually shoots better off the dribble than spot up. Conversely, Austin is better shooting spot up than off the dribble and takes toooo long to dish the ball (Anyone remember Brian Roberts?). Also Austin is much better defending the shooting or 2 guard than Jimmer. It's still early and the teams we played have sat their best players but Jimmer did not look out of place playing 2nd unit 1's. Positive about Austin is that it appears he is making FT's at a higher percentage (at least at SMC). He still can get to basket but unfortunately is still not able to finish at basket. I actually think that Jimmer is better at finding the open man and assist even though Austin had one more assist. Austin did have 2 TO's compared to 0 for Jimmer. As an aside the Pelicans turnovers were down to 11 tonight.
    You're right with these observations. But if he's gonna play the predominantly the 2 he's got to start hitting shots. Simple.

Through the entire preseason the best thing that is happening is no more hard hedging, Monty letting the guards have some freedom, and Monty letting reke run the offense. I think that Fiba over the summer helped Monty much more than AD.

1-6

Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    You're right with these observations. But if he's gonna play the predominantly the 2 he's got to start hitting shots. Simple.
    If your referring to Austin I agree 100%. AND finishing at the basket on his wild drives.

Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    Through the entire preseason the best thing that is happening is no more hard hedging, Monty letting the guards have some freedom, and Monty letting reke run the offense. I think that Fiba over the summer helped Monty much more than AD.
    This is it. Monty may be taking a chill pill. Great observation. Both on D and his new found love for Reke.

He scored 11 points on 10 FGA's. Also had 5 assists and zero turnovers. So, basically, he contributed 22 points on 16 field goal attempts (one of his assists was a Jimmer 3).

Pulled down 5 defensive rebounds after Monty called out our guards for not rebounding.

I would say there was also a lot of good tonight.
    If he can head towards having a Jason Kidd/CP3 type effect on other facets of the game like steals and rebounds, I think that would really benefit the team, he definitely has the hustle and speed to do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Impossible. The octopus that lives in my brain hasn't squibbered anything about it to me.

Also, that's how octopi talk. They squibber. Yes, it's a word. Shut up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin_Food View Post
    If he can head towards having a Jason Kidd/CP3 type effect on other facets of the game like steals and rebounds, I think that would really benefit the team, he definitely has the hustle and speed to do that.
    Yes. You are right but I am getting tired of watching his head faking, dribble driving, ball holding, stutter-stepping, lane driving, bad decision making, not passing, coaching sonning, video posting, summer league balling, not finishing self. He was right when he said this year is critical because I suspect the coaches are also getting frustrated. Although he is coming off the bench earlier than Jimmer, I wouldn't be surprised if Jimmer plays more minutes if he doesn't start getting IT. Even though he is obviously the superior athlete. It is time to put up or shut up Austin.
    Last edited by DRDJ1; 10-16-2014 at 11:45 PM.

Side Note: Byron is stubborn having the lakers only shooting 4 3's a game.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    A couple of more brief observations:
    Jrue shot is pure. He is playing back into shape.
    Ryno shot is back and he is playing recklessly and is a much better rebounder than given credit.
    Omer sets great picks but sometimes takes time off on D which might explain why he doesn't foul.
    Babbitt might be our best option at SF when Tyreke is not in the game. Granted he is slow on D but he tries and opposition players can't resist biting on his pump fakes.
    Russ is not ready for prime time and will be DNP coaches decision on 60+ games.
    Although I love Patric Young and his hustle he is also not ready for prime time. He actually got some D rebounds tonight.
    Miller will be buried on the roster and sit on the bench. He refuses to take open shots.
    AD can do anything he wants on the court. I just hope he doesn't want to trade his inside game for mid-range shots. He will get less rebounds per game than last year. He is playing far away from the basket. He can take 2 or 3 steps to basket instead of one or none.
    Tyreke is an unstoppable beast and will play as a point forward a lot
    Eric Gordon can't contribute if he doesn't play
    Monty is trying to chill but is still intense. His substitution pattern will remain the same. It is in his genes.
    really good observations, and the only thing I would add is how Ajinca is quietly becoming a very, very solid contributor to this team.....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    Side Note: Byron is stubborn having the lakers only shooting 4 3's a game.
    Some things never change.

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    really good observations, and the only thing I would add is how Ajinca is quietly becoming a very, very solid contributor to this team.....
    Thank you. I didn't want to overextend my welcome but Alexis really contributed tonight and could become one of the best 4th bigs in the league. Funny how Dell keeps bringing in these project failed players and Monty rehabs them. And BTW he loves being back in the NBA, loves NOLA, worked very hard over the summer and is a FRENCHMEN. Je t'aime Alexis Ajinca et espère vous kick butt cette année.
    Last edited by DRDJ1; 10-16-2014 at 11:30 PM.

I still don't see why so many want Gordon over Reke. Reke is the best creator on the team-gets into the lane easier than anyone else. What is most important though is asking the question, who fits best with Davis? Team is built around Davis so the first thing anyone should ask is does this player or that player fit better next to him.

Is there anyone with the chemistry he and Reke have on this team? Ryno fits well next to Davis but Reke constantly creates for him. They just mesh well. Reke and Jrue also pair together well. His ability to get into the lane opens the game up for everyone.

I'd bring Gordon off the bench. As a shooter he can play off Jrue, Reke or Rivers. Reke at SF won't work. Reke off the bench sees his mins cut down too much. But I've been saying that for a year. You all will get on my wave length sooner or later.

Yes. You are right but I am getting tired of watching his head faking, dribble driving, ball holding, stutter-stepping, lane driving, bad decision making, not passing, coaching sonning, video posting, summer league balling, not finishing self. He was right when he said this year is critical because I suspect the coaches are also getting frustrated. Although he is coming off the bench earlier than Jimmer, I wouldn't be surprised if Jimmer plays more minutes if he doesn't start getting IT. Even though he is obviously the superior athlete. It is time to put up or shut up Austin.
    Just wanted to post my edited post

Thread Information